Contribute
Register

Custom SSD Icons

Thanks for the guidance on how to do these icons in GIMP. I have made a generic Samsung 830 and a Seagate HDD. If you look closely you can see that it is 2TB, but realistically we are going to need to have 4K plus resolution to notice it on the desktop.

Attachments

• 830 and Seagate.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 960
Nicely done!!!! The samsung icon looks great on the desktop. How about OWC for my macbook pro?

OWC actually makes some awesome icons for their gear:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/icons/icons.html

Every OWC drive ships with a custom drive icon to help differentiate it from your other Firewire and USB devices. Unfortunately, if you reformat your drive, the icon goes along with it, and you're stuck with the generic orange FireWire or USB icon for the drive.If that's happened to you (or you just want some nifty icons for your Mac), this is the place to get all the custom icons for OWC and NewerTech drive solutions, as well as some original Time Machine icons.

p.s. Nice job on the icons—I grabbed the SanDisk one for my new system!

Hi,
those icons are great, thanks. I'm using the SanDisk one right now:
iJDmOKU.png

However, I have a Extreme II, not the Extreme. Could you make one for that SSD, too? I'm no that great with GIMP and Photoshop, otherwise I'd have done it myself. Here's a large front shot of it:
857915_0__8487660.jpg

There's also the Ultra Plus, while I don't have that one, some people might be interested in one for that SSD, too.

SanDisk_Ultra+Plus+SSD_small.jpg

Thank's a bunch, really appreciate it.

How are you guys making these? Do you have some sort of photoshop template that you're going off of?
See zaptoon's post here.

I decided to contribute and made up these icons:
icons.jpg

The perfectionists might notice that the SSD icons posted in this thread are actually oversized, compared to Apple's default hard drive icons. The difference is illustrated in the icon preview above (I sized the WD Red drive to follow almost the same dimensions as Apple's default drive icon). There is no margin on the SSDs, which will make them appear bigger compared to a default drive icon on your desktop.

I've also attached my Photoshop file for the WD Red drive in case anyone wants to show off their old fashioned spinny disk. ;)

Attachments

• SanDisk and WD Red.zip
    890.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Spinny Disk Template.zip
    958.1 KB · Views: 558
ssdiconset.jpg

ssdicons.jpg

I got kind of bored with my SSD drives having the default hard drive icons, and I was having trouble finding a nice set of custom SSD icons by brand name, so I created a simple set of 8 SSD icons for OSX. It's nice to show your fast drives from those slow old-school spinners. Hopefully others might find these useful as well.

View attachment 50771

UHOOO!!
Thanks!!

I take no credit for this, it's from a CandyBar Icons Collection called "HDRV+" by a gentleman named Rick Patrick, but here are the icons I use for my desktop for my SSD and my HDD.

Nobodynose,
Icon file in get info displays generically, cannot be copied and pasted.

My small contribution. I used the base to make an icon for Momentus XT hybrid SSHD. Maybe not as good as previous, but I like it :p

Icons display generically in get info cannot be copy pasted.

Samsung Evo, please?

Back