Motherboard
Aorus Xtreme Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hey guys, I again have a problem bugging me for some time. Here I'd like to point every interested and tempted soul to @kgps and @rehabmans tutorials and express my utmost gratitude to them; without those, the help and trial and errors of several others, this wouldn't have been possible. I tried making some SSDTs for my PC (mostly cosmetic nature, but also to have applied to the Apple naming nomenclature) and came across a hindrance yet again. I can't seem to be able to inject literally anything regarding Ethernet (it works fine though, with IntelMausiEthernet and I can rename the device via DSDT and/or Clover patches). I'd appreciate, if someone could point me towards my mistake. I attached IOReg dump, bootlog an Clover folder. Device in question is named GLAN.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    48.2 KB · Views: 103
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 84
  • iMac.ioreg
    7.6 MB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 17.36.59.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 17.36.59.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Attached screenshot. Tried out renaming via DSDT patches in clover: still not able to inject further information. Besides; direct DSDT edits could be compromised with further BIOS updates.

Several comments:
  • I don't think it's necessary or prudent or rename GLAN to ETH0 in the SSDT.
    • Is there any particular reason for doing so?
    • Have you tried injecting properties directly into GLAN?
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.39.53 AM.png
  • Also, any particular reason for injecting (cosmetic) device properties via SSDT instead of Clover devices --> arbitrary or devices --> properties?

I don't think it's necessary or prudent or rename GLAN to ETH0 in the SSDT.
  • Is there any particular reason for doing so?
  • Have you tried injecting properties directly into GLAN?

1. To apply to the apple device naming nomenclature (as kgp would call it)
2. Tried to no avail

Also, any particular reason for injecting (cosmetic) device properties via SSDT instead of Clover devices --> arbitrary or devices --> properties?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read many times now, that SSDT injection is more robust. Besides, with the upcoming release of Opencore I'd have to do it again. And of course it'd be easier to work with in the future, as I have already done almost everything via SSDT.

kgp's tutorials and his SSDTs were my main guideline and I'd say, til now at least, I was quite successful :mrgreen: (I mean IGPU, IMEI and SMBus for example, work too, and those were not "just" cosmetic edits)

EDIT:

Now that I think about it: that post of yours was the trigger to do some research. But I really wanted to keep the config as simple as possible and to make the changes "lasting"

Last edited:
Alright, I understand.

To investigate the ETH0 SSDT, can you please post your system's DSDT? If you run MaciASL, just select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT.

The fact that IOReg still shows GLAN instead of ETH0 means that the SSDT was probably rejected by macOS. To check this, please try the following in Terminal:
Code:
log show --debug --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel"' | head -n 700 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will create a file called bootleg.txt in your Documents folder. Please post that file as well.

To investigate the ETH0 SSDT, can you please post your system's DSDT? If you run MaciASL, just select File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I uploaded the dsl an aml file. Wouldn't it have been easier to just take the Clover dump?

This will create a file called bootleg.txt in your Documents folder. Please post that file as well.

First time I see this, but good to try something new :)

My Internet Connection drops sometimes (provider side problem), might be that I am not available for some time, I'm working on it.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    258.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSDT.dsl
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • bootlog.txt
    102.5 KB · Views: 253
As suspected, AppleACPIPlatform is rejecting the SSDT-Z390-ETH0. All other SSDTs are being loaded for a total of 31 successful and 1 failure.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.32.41 PM.png

According to the DSDT, the exiting GLAN device does not contain a _DSM (device specific method) -- this is a good thing. I know that KGP likes to enable Change _DSM to XDSM in Clover Configurator --> ACPI, but I find this to be more problematic than therapeutic.

So please try this:
  • Disable the Change _DSM to XDSM ACPI patch in your config.plist.
  • Remove the existing SSDT-Z390-ETH0.aml file from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and replace it with the attached file: SSDT-Z390-GLAN.aml.
  • Reboot.
  • Then capture the system log once again in Terminal and also check System Information for the custom properties.
Let's take the next step based on this outcome...

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-GLAN.aml
    373 bytes · Views: 117
According to the DSDT, the exiting GLAN device does not contain a _DSM (device specific method) -- this is a good thing. I know that KGP likes to enable Change _DSM to XDSM in Clover Configurator --> ACPI, but I find this to be more problematic than therapeutic.

Well, without, devices SMBus, eSPI/LPCB and XHC for example aren't working. Tried anyway, here comes the log.

EDIT: here's the screenshot. For some devices the names I provided over SSDT somehow don't get applied, though they show in IORegistry, but not in SysInfo

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    103.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 22.04.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 22.04.40.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 77
Well, without, devices SMBus, eSPI/LPCB and XHC for example aren't working. Tried anyway, here comes the log.

EDIT: here's the screenshot. For some devices the names I provided over SSDT somehow don't get applied, though they show in IORegistry, but not in SysInfo
Same error -- namespace not found. This might be because of the if statement shown here (from DSDT):

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.16.02 PM.png

Unlike other devices, this particular device is conditionally created. So the _SB.PCI0.GLAN device path might not exist at the time macOS parses the GLAN SSDT, hence the error Namespace lookup failure.
  • Okay, you may re-enable the _DSM to XDSM patch.
I see 3 options (more experienced ACPI developers may have other ideas):
  1. Inject properties using Clover Configurator.
  2. Modify DSDT.aml and remove the if statement by deleting the 3 lines in the 2 red boxes.
    • Then save the modified .aml file to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
    • Reboot.
    • Then run the Terminal log command again and post the file.
  3. If option 2 does not work, undo the change (put the if statement back). Then try this:
    • Put your DSM method inside the DSDT itself.
      Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.29.55 PM.png
    • Copy the modified DSDT.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
    • Reboot.
Also please note that this particular Ethernet card may not appear in the PCI tab of System Information. Please click the Ethernet Cards tab instead.

Finally, remember to remove the modified DSDT.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched if it does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back