Contribute
Register

Custom built Desk with watercooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 6

Hi forum!

Another great day has passed. Well, at first it started to look like we wouldn't be able to do much due to the weather, but the sun came through in the afternoon and we made great progress nonetheless.

The great breakthrough today was that we found a way to "paint" the mdf black without actually painting; adding black colour powder to varnish!! The result is very pleasing and applying is way easier.

Once it had all dried, we took the lid to a local glass cutter to cut out the window. I'm anxious to see the result :').

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 544
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 662
Hey that looks great!

Have you considered having the entire top covered in tempered glass? I have two Ikea tables in my home office/lab that have steel frames and glass tops. I am really happy with the glass tops (I have the normal spills. I cut and solder on the glass and clean up is a wipe.)

Good modding,
neil

very very nice modding !! compliments !!!
is there any update? here we are looking forward :)

very very nice modding !! compliments !!!
is there any update? here we are looking forward :)

Hi there

I still have no updates :/.

Two main reasons for that; I moved in with my gf, had to quit my old job and am now spending lots of time with Ikea furniture and cardboard boxes and even more time preparing my lessons cuz I'm teaching again ;).

Second reason is that my order got messed up by the webshop; some of the fittings for my loop were the wrong size, so I had to send it back and await the new parcel, but it's now arrived at my old adress so I still have to go pick it up --'.

Anyway, just took some more pictures to show you where I got with the build :).

Grtz
Metalcored00d

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 398
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    759.4 KB · Views: 465
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 418
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 419
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 468
UPDATES!!!!

Hi forum!!

So yesterday I got some more pieces and I could finally start building the actual loop.

I ordered premixed red coolant, but somehow it turned out pink, so I ordered some more dye.

I also changed my initial airflow design by adding a push/pull config with 6 fans on the rad.
I lacked some red fans, so I ordered 4 new ones and put 4 orange ones in the meantime.

I'll let the system run for 24 hours now, so we'll see how the loop behaves :).

Now it's time to clean up and finish some other work instead ;).

By the way, I also added a red led strip and the 2 antivandal switches are in place :).

Grtz
Metalcored00d

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 351
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 543
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 325
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 321
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 378
Installing

Well, while installing the hardware went better than expected, installing the os doesn't really go without a hassle...

The ideal scenario for me was that I plugged in my SSD with my existing install and change some kexts from there. Well, that didn't work. I can only boot up from my SSD, using a Unibeast drive and selecting Safe Mode.

I should note beforehand that I moved chameleon and extra to my efi partition.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

I wanted to install Clover on this mobo, since @mrengles has posted beautiful results with it.

Since I formatted my EFI partition to hfs+, I had to re-format it to FAT32 (connected as external device to another hackintosh and installed Clover from there, because in Safe Mode, you cannot format to FAT32 since the msdos kext is disabled...).

However, it still doesn't show up at boot --> my mobo doesn't detect an EFI bootloader. Maybe it has to do with me deleting the boot files from chimera? I'll reinstall chimera first and see from there I guess :').

Any ideas? Feel welcome to give me some ideas :)

It turned out awesome as ****!

:beachball:

btw: opend up that Imac G5,.. couldn't do **** with it :(

Concerning Clover I would say, its the easiest way to just make a Time Machine Backup of your current install and format the SSD completely.
Then just create a Clover Install stick following Tony's guide, boot to the install stick and then choose the option to reinstall from Time Machine Backup.
This way you will also have a Recovery HD added, and your system will definitely work, after you setup Clover.
Delete all Kexts in S/L/E you installed and just copy all Kexts you need for your new board to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ (the only thing that may be a problem is Audio, for this you have to install HDAEnabler and your needed AppleHDA to S/L/E).

Good Luck and nice build :)

Concerning Clover I would say, its the easiest way to just make a Time Machine Backup of your current install and format the SSD completely.
Then just create a Clover Install stick following Tony's guide, boot to the install stick and then choose the option to reinstall from Time Machine Backup.
This way you will also have a Recovery HD added, and your system will definitely work, after you setup Clover.
Delete all Kexts in S/L/E you installed and just copy all Kexts you need for your new board to EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ (the only thing that may be a problem is Audio, for this you have to install HDAEnabler and your needed AppleHDA to S/L/E).

Good Luck and nice build :)

Hehe, that's exactly what I'm doing atm! =) I had a spare HD that I'm using for a fresh Clover install. So far so good, it's amazing how Clover took installing OS X to the level where it's exactly the same as on the real deal :'). I mean with the reboots in between. I'm also happily witnessing my resolution being correct OOTB, because I feared the worst with my 7850's. Oh well, the fun and games with kext's and DSDT has yet to begin...

For starters I pacthed the vbios of my GPU's to the latest version, I PMPatched my BIOS etc. Ready to rock this thing! :)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 328
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 350
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 299
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 278
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 302
It turned out awesome as ****!

:beachball:

btw: opend up that Imac G5,.. couldn't do **** with it :(

Why thank you kind sir :').

Well, at least you tried. So you couldn't fit a NUC in there? :/ that's a shame!

Meanwhile I'm stuck at boot:
** GPU Hardware VM is enabled (multispace: enabled, page table updates with dma: enabled)
**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

edit Definitely graphics related since it does boot in safe mode, will look into it some more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back