Graphics
Geforce GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i5-3570K Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 build?

This is my current Win7 setup. I have an old (like 2006) Mac Pro and a 2009 Macbook Pro. I'd like to get myself down to one rock solid dual-boot desktop, and then have my MBP for portable stuff.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz
Memory: Samsung m379b5273dh0-yk0 2x4GB
Storage: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD3 128GB (For OS X)
Hitachi 2TB HDS723020BLA642 SATA3 U300 7200rpm 64MB Hard Drive (Slow Storage)
Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (For Windows 7)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670

What I'd like to do is install Mavericks (Eventually Yosemite, when it releases) on the smaller SSD (for audio recording/production and photography), and Windows 7 on the larger SSD (for gaming), booting between them as needed. I'd also like to have the third drive read/writeable by both OSs.

Is this possible? And do I have a weak link?

Thanks!

-->dvis.

Look at this ASRock build
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...87e-itx-core-i7-4770s-gtx-760-gaming-itx.html

The only really way to know is if you try.
Thanks for the link...I'll check it out. I've been doing various searches...right now, the Samsung memory is my main uncertainty. Searching for Samsung and Memory Or RAM returns anything with Samsung and Memory anywhere in the thread, so...less than useful. Putting in the specific model or part number gets me no results.

So, I may have to just try, as you suggest.

Do I need to have a fresh install of windows on the dual boot, or can I keep my partition as is, and just install OS X on the new drive?

Thanks,

-->dvis.

Do I need to have a fresh install of windows on the dual boot, or can I keep my partition as is, and just install OS X on the new drive?

Thanks,

-->dvis.

OSX will need to be your primary drive.

Using a partition with windows installed already is probably not gonna do it for you. Go and buy a separate SSD for OSX and make it your primary drive.

Here is a link for triple or dual booting OSX with other systems

http://www.tonymacx86.com/linux/98825-how-triple-boot-mountain-lion-windows-8-linux-ubuntu-separate-disk-3.html

OSX will need to be your primary drive.

Using a partition with windows installed already is probably not gonna do it for you. Go and buy a separate SSD for OSX and make it your primary drive.

Here is a link for triple or dual booting OSX with other systems

http://www.tonymacx86.com/linux/98825-how-triple-boot-mountain-lion-windows-8-linux-ubuntu-separate-disk-3.html

I'm probably not explaining myself well. What I want to do is...

1) Take a computer with windows 7 already on it (on a 240GB SSD),
2) Install OS X on a separate drive (a 120GB SSD),
3) Without, preferably, having to reinstall windows and all my software on the original 240GB drive.

If I set up a drive with OS X on it, and set it as the primary disk for booting purposes, can I then plug the windows drive back in and be able to boot into it just like before (with the added step of having to select it on a boot loader)? And if I can't get OS X to work right with my hardware, and give up in frustration, is it just a matter of selecting the windows drive as the primary, and removing the OS X drive?

Thanks for the help.

-->dvis.

Yes, yes and yes :)

If you set your MacOS X drive as master drive to boot from, you can select your Windows drive in the bootloader. If you want to get rid of MacOS X, just change the boot drive to the Windows drive.

Yes, yes and yes :)

If you set your MacOS X drive as master drive to boot from, you can select your Windows drive in the bootloader. If you want to get rid of MacOS X, just change the boot drive to the Windows drive.

Excellent. Thank you so much. Now I just need to open up my box, take note of a few other pieces of internal hardware I'm not sure about, and give it a go. :)

-->dvis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back