Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, though I have been reading many of the G4 Cube related threads on this forum.

With all the cool and amazing G4 Cube mods around, I was wondering what your opinion was on putting an Intel Core i7 and a dedicated GPU in the little cube? Do you think it is possible at all, in terms of heat and available space?

I bought two G4 Cubes recently, one is in stock trim, the other has a 1.8 GHz G4 cpu upgrade and 1.5GB RAM. Anyway, I'd like to use one of them (probably the stock) to build a Hackintosh system. Ideally it would run the fastest possible processor and a dedicated GPU as I'd like to use it for broadcast design work (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4D, that kind of stuff).

Just the other day Asus announced a GeForce 670 GPU card that looks like it might (just) fit in the Cube. This got me quite excited!
I would go the same route as sleppek, using a PCIe riser/cable. Here is the link to the article on the new Asus:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-GTX-670-Mini-DirectCU,21806.html

Also, I am thinking of recreating the bottom-plate of the Cube with 3d software and get it 3d-printed. That way I can make modifications to suit the new internals, and the holes for the input would fit exactly. Also, I wouldn't have to cut up the original back plate. :)

Anyway, am I too optimistic? Or do you think it is possible to build a small and stable powerhouse in the little Cube?

Would love to hear your ideas,
Nerv.

I'm wondering the same thing about the i7. The 3770S looks interesting, but I'd hate to spend 300+ dollars just to find out it was too hot. The Gelid Slim Silence cooler only states i5 compatibility, but the 3770S is a 65w unit so maybe it'll work.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, though I have been reading many of the G4 Cube related threads on this forum.

With all the cool and amazing G4 Cube mods around, I was wondering what your opinion was on putting an Intel Core i7 and a dedicated GPU in the little cube? Do you think it is possible at all, in terms of heat and available space?

I bought two G4 Cubes recently, one is in stock trim, the other has a 1.8 GHz G4 cpu upgrade and 1.5GB RAM. Anyway, I'd like to use one of them (probably the stock) to build a Hackintosh system. Ideally it would run the fastest possible processor and a dedicated GPU as I'd like to use it for broadcast design work (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4D, that kind of stuff).

Just the other day Asus announced a GeForce 670 GPU card that looks like it might (just) fit in the Cube. This got me quite excited!
I would go the same route as sleppek, using a PCIe riser/cable. Here is the link to the article on the new Asus:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-GTX-670-Mini-DirectCU,21806.html

Also, I am thinking of recreating the bottom-plate of the Cube with 3d software and get it 3d-printed. That way I can make modifications to suit the new internals, and the holes for the input would fit exactly. Also, I wouldn't have to cut up the original back plate. :)

Anyway, am I too optimistic? Or do you think it is possible to build a small and stable powerhouse in the little Cube?

Would love to hear your ideas,
Nerv.

Always love to see new stuff and Cubes are always a blast too.

Some things to think about.

The metal "can" has internal dimensions that effectively in mm are around 170 x 170 x 170. So that is the room you have to work with inside the original casing. Basically room for an ITX board - no room for a dual slot GPU without using a port extender and even then it is VERY tight.

If you get rid of (or redesign) the internal structure you can gain about another 10mm on those dimensions.

Other things to think of:

The perspex outer is great at trapping air inside it. There is a 1 inch or so gap at the back and the vents at the top. Cooling is always a challenge (which also makes it fun). If you add a metal can inside the perspex outer and you can see how important selecting the right components is.

I love the sound of 3D printing and that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Good luck and whatever you decide be sure to post the build log.

:thumbup:

I think you may have an issue with the GTX 670 in terms of power and thermals. From the product page it states it uses a maximum of 170w with a minimum system power requirement of 500w. Providing this much power with picoPSU or motherboard power regulators will not be feasible, let along dealing with the heat generated.

You should investigate and decide on a Power supply then choose components that will work within it's capacity. Managing your power budget is critical.

I don't want to be a naysayer, because that isn't in the modders vocabulary, But as kiwisincebirth states, power supply and thermals for those components packed inside the limited confines of the cube, as pointed out by minihack, make the build your proposing as you say, a bit optimistic. Maybe with an external PSU and Water cooling setup it would work, but thats not really practical. Sleppek may be able to shed more light on this.

I don't want to be a naysayer, because that isn't in the modders vocabulary, But as kiwisincebirth states, power supply and thermals for those components packed inside the limited confines of the cube, as pointed out by minihack, make the build your proposing as you say, a bit optimistic.
Thanks for concurring, however you go on to say.

Maybe with an external PSU and Water cooling setup it would work, but thats not really practical. Sleppek may be able to shed more light on this.
This got me thinking that the real problem is the volume inside a Cube is just not enough to hold the components you want in your computer. However NerviousTitan you make this statement

I bought two G4 Cubes recently, one is in stock trim, the other has a 1.8 GHz G4 cpu upgrade and 1.5GB RAM. Anyway, I'd like to use one of them (probably the stock) to build a Hackintosh system.
In terms of crazy idea's how about this.

Use both G4 Cubes cases where the second one holds a water cooler, and a ATX/SFX PSU. The issue is interconnection. Water cooling (i am not an expert) should only require two flexible tubes. For Power it would be possible to run a simpler power interconnection, by having a much thicker (but single cables) for the GND, +5V and +12V lines. Plus of course the other low power signal cables. The three main wires could then breakout to the various components inside the main computer case.

Of course this links the two cases, unless you can find appropriate plugs/sockets.

Any comments about the 3770S guys?

I'm compiling parts for my third Cube project, a DQ77KB build just like the first two. This 65W version of the i7 is tempting, just to try something different. The GPU topic being discussed higher up this thread doesn't apply to my interest in this next build, I'd be using HD4000 the same as the i3-3225 Cubes out there now. The space and heat limits imposed on this tiny computer just don't add up to success with a high powered graphics card, let alone powering it. Thats IMO anyway.

The i7-3770S though.... hmmmmm????

Ersterhernd

Ersterhernd, that sounds feasible to me and certainly with 16 gig of 1600 MHz RAM it would be a stormer, in fact, if you look at Sleppek's build it is a bit disappointing in it's geekbench results @6560, my setup scores up to 8234, I say up to because that's the best it has scored, and other times I have done the test it scores are slightly lower, I also read somewhere that the more on board RAM you have, the more RAM their is for the integrated graphics to access. I personally can't verify this, maybe you or someone else will know more on this. I don't want to sound like I'm dumping on Sleppek's build, as I think he has done an awesome job on his build, but I must say I feel it would be a bit cramped in there for long term stability(time will tell). Can't wait to see your approach to this build.

Any comments about the 3770S guys?
The 3770S sounds like a very compelling option for you build. A search on geek bench give it around 12-13,000 vs the about 7,500 I get for the i3-3225, so significantly faster cos it got twice the number of cores I suspect.

I have read a few posts confirming the processor is compatible, not sure why it isn't on the recommended build list.

In terms of cooling the Slim Silence seems to indicate 65w cooling is fine, up to 85w with good air ventilation. I have to assume the reason the site doesn't list i7 is because generally (exception of S & T low power models) run much hotter than the the heat-sink is designed for.

The 65w i7 running flat out is going to need to dissipate 20% more thermal energy than 55w i3-3225. I dont think this translates directly into a 20% raise in temps though, there are other factors at play. Certainly there are other thing (being discussed) to deal with the extra heat.

In the worst case scenario you either run the fans a little faster than you would like, OR under-clock the CPU a few hundred MHz until the temps come down. I personally am going to wait for Haswell (few months hopefully) before deciding what to put into my Cube.

Kiwi thanks for your input. I concur with your comments.

I took the plunge yesterday and ordered the parts for the new i7 Cube build. Will start a separate thread in near future about it.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back