Contribute
Register

Cube to the MAX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MiniHack!

I couldn't remember if it was you or Mactester that first did this external type of ssd mount. What a terrific idea, it's perfect. I've been wondering about your water Cube, it'll be very interesting to see the final numbers with it.

Winter is coming, a great chance to get modding again. I'd really like to do a 20" G4, but can't find one locally no matter how hard I look.

Cheers!

Hi MiniHack!

I couldn't remember if it was you or Mactester that first did this external type of ssd mount. What a terrific idea, it's perfect. I've been wondering about your water Cube, it'll be very interesting to see the final numbers with it.

Winter is coming, a great chance to get modding again. I'd really like to do a 20" G4, but can't find one locally no matter how hard I look.

Cheers!

Yes, placement worked out perfect for me as it was really near to the SATA ports and to an unused USB 2.0 port so I could power it from that with a really short cable.

It's going to be Dremel dust everywhere for me today working on a G5 case (!).

All best.

Installed 10.9 Mavericks on the day of it's release. First machine I put it on was the i7 Cube. Only issue is speedstep, can't seem to get that to work. Everything else is solid so far. Did a base install on an empty SSD using UniBeast.

EDIT: Actually Speed-Step is working. Mavericks just spends very little time at 1.58GHz, HWMonitor only reports the slower speed every so often for about one second. It must be more demanding on the CPU than Mtn Lion.

7zun.jpg

Ersterhernd

Does sleep work? It seems, that my G5's CPU died during the update...

MacTester

I applaud your work and have been following this thread getting educated on the process. I have a G4 Cube on the way. I have modded a G5. This will be a challenge for sure.

Is there another mobo that can be used like GIGABYTE GA-H77TN ?

Is the main difference the power supply onboard? and price?

Thanks
I will continue to study thread before proceeding. It is a very valuable resource so Thanks to all who take time and contribute

Does sleep work? It seems, that my G5's CPU died during the update...

MacTester

Just tested it, and no... Sleep only puts the display to black, not the cube. Have you tried your NUC with 10.9 yet, MacTester? I get to about 12 mins remaining then an 'Install Failed' error pops up with only option to restart and try again. Using my cube PSU machine, not the iMac.

Odd...

Ersterhernd

No, I've only tried to do the update on my G5 Hack (my current stunt double). It seems, that its CPU did not survive… The LAN port is also dead and a CMOS reset did not help.

It seemed to work fine, but then I had some odd white, flickering artifacts on the Mavericks desktop…

After a restart it does not even boot with the Unibeast 3.0 drive now! The error message is something like "processor context corrupt"… :bang head:

MacTester

I applaud your work and have been following this thread getting educated on the process. I have a G4 Cube on the way. I have modded a G5. This will be a challenge for sure.

Is there another mobo that can be used like GIGABYTE GA-H77TN ?

Is the main difference the power supply onboard? and price?

Thanks
I will continue to study thread before proceeding. It is a very valuable resource so Thanks to all who take time and contribute

Hi DennisM, if you enjoyed your G5 mod, you'll LOVE your Cube mod!

That said, the choice of motherboard is of paramount importance with the Cube. The Gigabyte thin mini itx boards don't seem to provide 5V standby power, which is essential for touch sensor functionality. Other choices are available, but the DQ77KB has really been proven on this forum as the most compatible thin board.

Only trouble is, they are hard to find now as intel has discontinued them.

Good Luck and be sure to post your progress.

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

Mactester, your CPU died????????

Thats unbelievable. What would've possibly caused it?

Wow.

Ersterhernd

Ok I have your recommended board on order. Any suggestion on I3 vs I7 ?

I probably won't actually start cutting etc until January

The cube I got actually is running OS 9 I think. It's not here yet

I will be following one of your threads for the build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back