Contribute
Register

Cube Questions prior to Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to know, thx kiwi.

A simple HDMi extender M/F would do the trick then, as there's an HDMi to Dvi converter in the box of the DQ77KB.

Maybe time to order, hmmmmm...
I am still not sure that would work. The included converter with the intel board has a male HDMI connector (plugs into mother board), and a female DVI socket which you them plug a normal dvi monitor cable into. You would still need a DVI cable with male to male connections, so you would end up with a total of Four cable/adapters

MB --- Male HDMI / Female HDMI --- Male HDMI / Female DVI --- Male DVI / Male DVI --- Female DVI / ADP --- DISPLAY

Just get a HDMI to DVI monitor cable and end up with

MB --- Male HDMI / Male DVI --- Female DVI / ADP --- DISPLAY

Kiwi

Disappointing news.

I made a considerable trek today to go and purchase the Cube shown in post # 1, which was advertised on CL as 'Perfect, No Cracks, No Scratches".

As it turned out, both the top screws had hairline cracks running into the acrylic, and there was 2 more cracks at the top of the unit that both appeared to be spreading. Needless to say, I promptly left the vendor's place empty handed. After spending 100 dollars on ferry costs and fuel, it was frustrating that this person had been so blatantly untruthful in this ad.

Good part is, I found another cube and am going to look at it tomorrow.

However, I'll always bear in mind the unofficial Craigslist Guarantee...

"Ninety Feet or Ninety Seconds; Whichever comes First!"

Another question for the experts...

I want to use the integrated wifi antenna in my cube. It only has one single connector pin. Can it be used with a wireless G or N card?

I want to install a Dell 1510 half pci-e card.

Maybe someone has an answer.

Thanks.

I'm not sure anymore. I think, I've read earlier in this community (from eelhead or minihack) that he tried this and it did not work.

I've used a macbook A1114 BT module and placed its antenna behind the plastic darning where the original antenna was.

Concerning to WiFi I can not say anything, because i did not install it into the cube.

MacTester

Thx Mactester.

If possible, can you grab me a total height measurement of your DQ77KB to the tallest point at the top of the Gelid cooler?

I'm guessing around 35mm. My parts aren't in yet and I'm trying to do some preliminary measurements.

Only if its not a problem...

Cheers!

You 're welcome.

I can't tell you that, because I don't have a gelid cooler. I use a copper block in combination with the stock heatsink instead. This has a couple of advantages:
-Silent, because you need only one fan for the whole system
-The MOBO can be positioned closer to the latching mechanism
-Enough space behind the MOBO to incorporate USB sockets in the graphics card slot & in the small top grid
-The bottom plate looks almost like stock, because the IO-Shield can be positioned optimal

G4%20Cube%20completed%208.jpg

G4%20Cube%20Front%20LED.jpg

G4%20Cube%20presssembled%20heat%20sink.jpg

BTW: Your G5 mods look great! :thumbup:

MacTester

Oops my mistake!

That copper block is amazing. My plan is also to place 2 USB ports in that grill under the MB. Thx for those photos, I can see pretty much where the heights will line up.

Your cub mod is definitely a tough act to follow. The bar has been set VERY high with that build.

Cheers!

Thanks for praise!

Here is an additional pic with the dimensions for the IO-shield:

G4%20Cube%20IO%20Shield%20Dimensions.jpg

MacTester

That pic helps me out immensely!

Just one more question.
The power & reset buttons that you re-used, how did you fasten them?
The small set screw and threaded aluminum receptacle appear to sit where the new motherboard needs to be.

Great work, thx...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back