022.JPG
035.jpg
036.jpg
040.jpg
047.jpg
049.jpg
051.jpg
Cube Modding - X99 / E5-2620 V3 / Quadro K2000D / BD-RW

Hello everyone, I'm from China. tonymacx86 is a great forum, it made me learn a lot, thank you very much. I have been modified several units Cube, has been due to language problems, no posts in tonymacx86, since successful conversion Cube X99, I want to communicate with more friends here to share what I have simply adapted Cube, English I by google translation may not be so smooth, I'm sorry!

I. Configure the GIGABYTE GA-H77TN / E3-1245 V2 / DDR3 4GX2 / Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PRO

Open a window on the IO line drawing. !

001.jpg

Cutting machine with a small hand-cut, then finishing with a file. ↓

002.jpg

We made a radiator model, measuring height. !

003.jpg

Obviously this is a failure of the thermal design of the bridge, no fan is almost impossible to achieve effective heat dissipation, the actual operation of the CPU temperature is very high. ↓

004.jpg

Hardware installation. ↓

005.jpg

Sound card connected via PCI-E 4X-2X soft cable. ↓

006.jpg

I think it is beautiful appearance, the power supply is 19V notebook adapter. ↓

007.jpg

II. configured for Intel DQ77KB / i7 3770T / DDR3 4GX2 / Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PRO

Radiator was modified. Together with a full copper. ↓

008.JPG

IO laser engraving. ↓

Overall after installation. ↓

010.JPG

Since there is no 5VSB, original touch switch is not used, a household lamp touch switch, turn off no problem, but no LED lights. ↓

011.JPG

IO. ↓

012.JPG

Since the shell rupture, overall chassis spray became black, apple logo also changed for black acrylic mirror. ↓

013.JPG

Although not transparent cube, but it is equally beautiful. ↓

014.JPG

III. Configure the ASUS Maximus VI Impact / i74790S / DDR3 4GX2 / SAMSUNG NGFF 128G / SONY BC-5600S Blu-rayDisc

IO approach with the same two days before, but this time want to modify the original Cube adapter as the power supply. ↓

015.jpg

Overall spray became gold. ↓

016.JPG

Fixtures 4P power head. ↓

017.JPG

This side is golden. ↓

018.JPG

He designed the turbo fan, cooling effect is very satisfactory. ↓

Turbofan occupies the original hard disk location. ↓

020.JPG

Here in addition to the installation of a turbo fan, you can also install a portable hard drive, a CD-ROM also customize the adapter frame. ↓

021.JPG

IO effect, gold is really difficult, why Apple did not expect it. ↓

Due to shooting, the color is also very beautiful. ↓

023.JPG

Golden Cube I think it is a beautiful color. ↓

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

My workbench. ↓

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I had three MOD Cube, but unfortunately no discrete graphics. I've been thinking about how to make Cube spend graphics card, but there are many problems to be solved. I would like to insist on DC-ATX, so as to make the interior more compact Cube, but most plug DC-ATX motherboard and chassis are in conflict. I can not find a suitable adapter Cube adapter can be stuffed into a casing, or the size is too large, or power is not enough. And I do not want to give up the CD-ROM. That these factors make me MOD progress Cube's dragged a long time. ASRock happens launched ITX version of X99, power jack arranged on the other side of the motherboard, great, this is what I'm looking motherboard, so X99 Cube was born.
CPU I choose E5-2620 V3, because it is relatively low supply and consumption, only 85W. Video Card I choose NVIDIA Quadro K2000D, because it does not require a separate power supply, and there is a miniDP.

Hardware——

Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3
Memory: Crucial DDR4/2133/16GB (2 x 8GB)
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K2000D
SSD: SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 256GB
Disk Drive: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-TS04

028.jpg

Ready——

Cube ↓
029.jpg

Cube MOD concept map. ↓

030.jpg

If you want to change the Cube was beautiful, there will still be difficult, loaded up with is not my ultimate goal. I changed Cube principle, try to follow the original design principle, less knife, but also beautiful. Cube is designed to zero noise, heat go up against the principle of passive cooling. The middle is a huge heat sink,frame, handle all aluminum, the entire chassis is basically CPU heatsink. To keep the original heat sink, want zero noise, desktop-class CPU seems impossible, but reserved a 80 x 20mm fan bit gives us a big surprise, I think it is the leakage air cooling is the best solution, both It retains the original heatsink and duct, but also to solve the heat problem. ↓

032.jpg

Cooling——

To take advantage of the original heatsink, a good thermal bridge that is essential. ↓
033.jpg
Custom X99 buckle. ↓
034.jpg
Heat sink. ↓

035.jpg

Put something to see. Ah, what it means. ↓

036.jpg

Graphics——

Cube using a standard 3.5-inch hard drive,one is from performance considerations, the second I think Apple is seeking symmetrical chassis, but the original chassis still not been filled, leaving plenty of space between the hard disk and CD-ROM, which gives install a separate graphics card and provides sufficient cooling position. Graphics adapter is hard not work completely, space does not allow, not to direct the installation, because only 3.5cm gap, the only condition is to meet the PCI-E soft hand.

PCI-E extension cable, the cable also has its own MOD fixing plate. ↓

037.jpg
PCI-E extend over after the card is the opposite direction, not in direct contact with the heat sink GPU, you must backplane switching over. Since space does not allow, can only compress bent away from the heat pipe, the ideal is 15mm, it did not professional equipment processed, only with bent needle-nose pliers. ↓

038.jpg
Heat pipe and heat dissipation plastic jig.↓

039.jpg
Thor. ↓
040.jpg
Custom GPU cooling contact plate. ↓

041.jpg

Original radiator, goodbye!

042.jpg

Distance heat pipe is what I want 15mm. ↓

043.jpg

Graphics original radiator irrelevant, must own MOD heat, I chose to cut the original heat sink. ↓

044.jpg

Display signal through the inside of the chassis miniDP transferred to the IO, although it is a right angle adapter, but still have a distance from the ground, forced vertical installation, PCI-E adapter cable will be torn, they might tear-off cable. You can only let the video Canted, but still maintain the vertical radiator, have to say this is a pity. ↓

CD-ROM——

Cube original drive is relatively large, and now they can not drive installation. ↓

046.jpg
Customized an adapter frame, drive a reverse-mounted 2.5-inch hard drive. ↓
047.jpg
Mounted on the drive way. ↓
048.jpg
Replacing the hard look. ↓
049.jpg
Cut off the original hard drive rack, leaving both sides of the mounting frame. ↓
050.jpg

Fit. ↓
051.jpg

Test equipment. ↓

052.jpg

Last edited:
053.jpg 054.jpg 055.jpg 056.jpg 057.jpg 058.jpg 059.jpg 060.JPG 083.png 085.jpg 084.png 086.JPG 087.JPG 062.jpg 063.jpg 064.jpg 065.jpg 066.jpg 067.jpg 068.jpg 069.jpg 070.jpg 071.jpg 072.JPG 073.jpg 074.JPG 075.JPG 076.jpg 077.JPG 078.JPG 079.JPG 080.JPG 081.JPG 088.JPG 089.JPG 090.JPG 091.jpg 082.jpg 092.JPG 093.jpg 031.jpg on-off.jpg 053.jpg
053.jpg
054.jpg
055.jpg
056.jpg
057.jpg
058.jpg
059.jpg
060.JPG
083.png
085.jpg
084.png
086.JPG
087.JPG
062.jpg
063.jpg
064.jpg
065.jpg
066.jpg
067.jpg
068.jpg
069.jpg
070.jpg
071.jpg
072.JPG
073.jpg
074.JPG
075.JPG
076.jpg
077.JPG
078.JPG
079.JPG
080.JPG
081.JPG
088.JPG
089.JPG
090.JPG
091.jpg
082.jpg
092.JPG
093.jpg
031.jpg
on-off.jpg
053.jpg
054.jpg
055.jpg
056.jpg
057.jpg
058.jpg
IO——

IO is the MOD I focus first two Cube of MOD, is a standard rectangular open mouth, do put a baffle inside layer, always felt not perfect, this time I want the same as the original machine and IO one-piece chassis, and to maintain the original style.

IO imaginary figure. ↓

053.jpg

A little excited to see the finished product. ↓
054.jpg
Fixed mini DP and power head.

031.jpg

Everything is ready, start immediately. Still sparks were flying. ↓

055.jpg

Still kept polished, to come up with artisan spirit, there can be no room for error. ↓

056.jpg

Than kept, kept grinding, further than regrinding, eventually almost took a hammer to knock down, up and down very tight fit. ↓

057.jpg

Inhuman polished and finally ground to a mobile phone does not recognize my fingerprints. ↓

058.jpg

According to the original color tone. ↓

059.jpg

A desire to cry feeling. ↓

060.JPG

Power supply
——

Selection of DC-ATX power supply is basically lamb skewers layout to ensure the chassis wiring simplicity. ↓

062.jpg
Original adapter is 28V output, it can not be used directly, only change. Below is a custom aluminum mounting plate. ↓

063.jpg

Very difficult to find a suitable power modules, this is what I find most desirable output power of 180W.↓

064.jpg

065.jpg
Apple original wire retention. ↓

066.jpg

Nailed it. ↓

067.jpg

Switch——

Cube touch switch is one of a major feature, designed to be very classic, both switches, but also lights, blinking frequency can sleep the same people sleep breathing frequency, the effect is very sensitive to touch. But into PC, but not the sleep function, because its light is not connected to the motherboard, is a separate set of circuits in operation, I can not do all the features of the original, only switch. Touch switch position with the motherboard must be conflict, mandatory installation, the panel will come in drums, long-term use touch switch may be crushed. My solution is: First, the mounting screws switches ground to the lowest point,the chip does not contact the panel so far. ↓

068.jpg

Second, that the most protruding chip removed the touch switch. ↓

069.jpg

Touch switch Pin 16 does not require a series resistor 500 othms, but you want to install the machine to work properly, otherwise it will automatically restart unlimited. The blue line to be connected, LED will not light or after boot.
on-off.jpg

Wifi antenna——

Cube built-in wifi antenna, although the interface change, the principle should be the same, why not change to use?

With air gun is easy to put protective shell blowing. ↓

070.jpg

Very easy to for good, the only drawback is only one antenna head. ↓

071.jpg

Put something to see. Apple has designed the wifi alignment, do not worry about interference from other cables. ↓

072.JPG

Installed——

I do not have the motherboard installed on pillars, but to secure the motherboard heat on the bridge, the bridge and make closer contact with the heat. However, this method of installation is very troublesome, very little space is operable. ↓

073.jpg

Motherboard installed. Fins with two long screws are used to install the graphics card heat sink must be installed before the Board in advance burying. ↓

074.JPG

Graphics card installed, feel good about themselves. ↓

075.JPG

Pressure in the discharge line of PCI-E board to hide the ugly here played a role, so that cable stronger and more beautiful. As a result of DC-ATX, chassis alignment is very small, a welding wire in two 5V power supply on the hard disk, power on the left, so from left traces. Two 16cm of hard drive data cables from the right alignment, after only a fan in the middle of the line. ↓

076.jpg

Also installed a CD-ROM, graphics tilt problem initially feared, now almost negligible. ↓
077.JPG

Graphics and hard disk space to leave 5mm heat. ↓

078.JPG

DC-ATX height just right. ↓

079.JPG

It bristles. ↓

080.JPG

Sealed lid on the case. ↓

081.JPG

Completed. ↓

082.jpg

Test——

Although there are several modificationsCube experience, but on such a small chassis X99, and discard the onboard heatsink temperature and noise had said the truth is not the end. But after a month of combat, these concerns completely unnecessary. Performance is not for testing, I am most concerned about is the temperature, noise with wifi signal strength. Since there is no change in the original duct temperature very satisfying. Under conditions below shows the indoor temperature of 16.5 ℃ two hours after power measured. If you run photoshop software, GPU temperature will be slightly higher than 50 ℃, CPU is not very different.↓

083.png

Only one chassis 0.09A fan noise is very small, not leaned almost hear the sound, the dead of night near the outlet found. ↓

085.jpg

Wifi antenna, although only one, but the strength is very good. Separated by a wall with a router, 5G two cell signal, 2.4G is full. ↓

084.png

The MOD, regardless of performance, heat,noise, and reputation have reached my own expectations.

Postscript——

A table of line, very chaotic, force me todo a trick? ↓

086.JPG

Tables punch from the back alignment. ↓

087.JPG

Data lines are white tone, in order: the power cord, USB3.0, HUB display line, miniDP and optical audio cable. ↓

088.JPG

Thoroughly completed. ↓

089.JPG

Not only the most beautiful more beautiful. ↓

090.JPG

092.JPG

Thanks for watching. ↓

091.jpg

093.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, props to you on these builds! :clap: I was looking through ChipHell at all of these builds he other day and admiring! I hand't noticed that they were all by you until now(noticing the background items on all of them).

Do you have any CPU\GPU heat benchmarks done with the CPU\GPU under heavy load? Have you noticed any big difference in using the stock heat-sync and dispersing the heat over a larger area(Ex: Heat pipes over a 40x40mm area vs 20x20mm)?

Not be CPU, GPU test the limits, feel CUBE design fins still very reasonable, if your computer has a high-intensity running, you can install a powerful fan, GPU area, of course, the better the greater the cooling effect.

I do not know how to delete unwanted pictures.

First click on Edit in the lower right of your post that you want to delete pictures.

Then click on Manage Attachments at the bottom of the post.

TRS 2016-03-10 at 7.29.50 AM.jpg

Then simply click the small x on any picture you don't want in the post. That will remove it.

Very nice job on this cube mod. Will you install OS X El Capitan on it too ?

First click on Edit in the lower right of your post that you want to delete pictures.

Then click on Manage Attachments at the bottom of the post.

View attachment 180475

Then simply click the small x on any picture you don't want in the post. That will remove it.

Very nice job on this cube mod. Will you install OS X El Capitan on it too ?

thank you very much! X99 in the above I have not tried to install OSX, but on my desk golden CUBE install OSX no problem.

Wow, what an amazing build! Thats one of the best IO shield integrations I've ever seen in any build - congratulations on your hard work.

I just have a couple of questions about the parts:

- Where did you get the components for the cooling pipes? Are they totally custom, or can you buy these off the shelf somewhere? (I'm UK based).

- And what about the DVD/SSD shelf? Could you post a link to where to buy this, or is it a salvaged one-off?

Many thanks!

Wow, what an amazing build! Thats one of the best IO shield integrations I've ever seen in any build - congratulations on your hard work.

I just have a couple of questions about the parts:

- Where did you get the components for the cooling pipes? Are they totally custom, or can you buy these off the shelf somewhere? (I'm UK based).

- And what about the DVD/SSD shelf? Could you post a link to where to buy this, or is it a salvaged one-off?

Many thanks!

Many thanks for your replies. I buy local thermal bridges in China, the brand model STREACOM HT4, you can find it in www.streacom.com, I searched ebay is also for sale, hoping to help you. HT4 has two components, the heat pipe portion I use as a bridge, the other part I used graphics heat pipe modification.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PQ823-Strea...41109572?hash=item540fba2244:g:b5AAAOSwyQtVnm-~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back