CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
UHD 630 & RX 580 Pulse 8GB Lite
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Bit of a basic question and I'm guessing the answer will probably be no, but anyway here goes:

I'm looking for a new build for mavericks and i've been looking at upgrading by gfx card from a 6870 to an r9 280x (should be arriving tomorrow) anyway i'm wondering what benefit a second one would be and whether i could utilise crossfire under mavericks.

Thanks in advance

current new setup is:

i7-4770s
GA-H87N-WIFI (going to change to a Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H)

Tom

No, there's no Crossfire, nor SLI support in OS X.

that's what I thought, was just wondering if mavericks had broken any new barriers.

Also would two benefit openCL at all, or not really that worth it? Mainly looking at this for video encoding and not gaming.

Actually, I don't know. What I know is that you can use 2 cards at the same time, but then they will work as two, independent unit.

How would that affect performance? From my understanding it wouldn't add anything at all except for the possibility of extra monitors, and your graphics performance would just be equal to the best card in there.

Also in the customac guide it says you can now use nvidia based cards in tandem, what affect does this have on performance?

Considering this build runs headless monitors are really the last thing i'm thinking about.

Thanks mate

Tom

I don't quite understand the mechanism of these, but one is certain that there would be performance increase, but not as high as on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back