Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Designare
CPU
i7 Skylake 6700k
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello! Lurker and first post here. I'm looking for advice about my build as it's been a while since I've built on my own desktop.

Here is what I am using now:
2011 27" iMac
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB DDR3
256GB SSD
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

The build I am currently eyeing:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler, CW-9060016-WW

Cooler Master Nepton 240M
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
LG 31MU97C-B 31.0" 60Hz Monitor

I'm looking for a build that is stable and will guarantee me more safety when it comes to updates. Mainly I use my computer for programming, working with Docker and web development - and it would be nice to have something worthy for gaming.

The graphics card and processor feel like a middle ground between excessive and being future-proof. I would like to be able to play games like Rocket League, BioShock, and other games I have missed out on because of my lackluster setup now. Do I need liquid cooling for this build or is that just something that's only for overclocking?

Lastly another problem I'm not certain about is the Continuity/Handoff issue with the "TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (N)" I have selected. Should I instead opt for the Broadcom chip and adapter from OSXWIFI? Any other comments or suggestions are welcome -

Cheers!

Last edited:
Only 2 things I see -
Be aware that the Corsair H100i link software does not work in OS X, so you need to do some creative control if you want to control fan speed/pump speed. On mine I skipped the link control and connected to the system fan connector on the board for the pump and the primary and secondary cpu fan connectors for the fans.

Make sure the RAM module model in on the board OEM supported memory list - then go to the RAM OEM site and see if they tested the same module on your board. If you are on both lists you are golden.

Only 2 things I see -
Be aware that the Corsair H100i link software does not work in OS X, so you need to do some creative control if you want to control fan speed/pump speed. On mine I skipped the link control and connected to the system fan connector on the board for the pump and the primary and secondary cpu fan connectors for the fans.

If that's the case, according to the Buyer's Guide and several other posts here, the H105 is more plug and play, not depending on the Corsair Link. Is that a good choice for a replacement? Water cooling is out of my expertise.

Make sure the RAM module model in on the board OEM supported memory list - then go to the RAM OEM site and see if they tested the same module on your board. If you are on both lists you are golden.

Check. Thank you for your time you're a lifesaver.

If that's the case, according to the Buyer's Guide and several other posts here, the H105 is more plug and play, not depending on the Corsair Link. Is that a good choice for a replacement? Water cooling is out of my expertise.
Depends - the extra 5mm thickness may make it not fit.

You're right - the H105 is too bulky. Corsair doesn't seem to have a plug and play that's compatible so I'm now eyeing the Cooler Master Nepton 240M after seeing other builds with the same case using it.
The H105 works well, you just cannot use the controller app since there is no OS X version of it. The solution I used in in post #2. Whether this is a viable solution for you depends on the number of CPU fan headers you have.
Another viable solution is to use a splitter cable to the CPU fan connector if you have only one and then use a 4-pin Molex to fan connector for the pump power and always run the pump full speed.

Do I need liquid cooling for this build or is that just something that's only for overclocking?
No one really 'needs' water cooling. Water cooling as become very fashionable of late and of course manufacturers wants you to believe that you 'need' it. A good air cooler is as efficient as a all-in-one water cooling solution and is quieter. Why because is the end water cooling is air cooling ... you force air thru a radiator to cool it. If you value silent running get a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D14 ...whether you plan to overclock or not. For reference excellent post by Metacollin and the merits of water cooling

If you don't plan on overclocking than you can save more money by sleecting a non-K CPU and H170 chipset motherboard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back