Contribute
Register

Creative CA0132 codec discussion (Sound Core3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I have Creative SoundBlaster Z.
I read a few pages to start the sound, but due to the fact that I do not understand English, I can not determine the correct sequence of actions.
What is done:
1) installed CodecCommander
2.1) Tried AppleALC
2.2) Tried VoodooHDA
In 2.1 case, the macOS either recognizes or does not recognize the outputs (I did not understand what it depends on). There is no sound.
In case 2.2, the macos recognize the outputs, but only the microphone works.
As far as I understand, this is slightly different from the ZXR, so the scheme of work is probably also different.
What are my next steps?
macOS 10.13.6
Sorry for bad english, I have to translate.
thank

What about Linux? Does it work under Linux?
I don't have Linux installed, but if you have a distro in mind, I don't mind installing it for the sake of testing. Let me know.
Because the HDA node 6 you are currently using with layout-id 1 has no AMPs you do not have volume control.
Indeed with Layout ID 4 I got the volume control working.
Try the tool from the attachement while using layout-id 4. There are three outputs, choose the first Line-Out and try the tool
Ok, with layout ID 4, set to the first Line-Out as instructed: didn't have any sound with any of the options, except the last one: SourceX - Destination91. This one gave me sound with volume control in the green rear Line-Out port only. Both mic ports still work.

I don't have Linux installed, but if you have a distro in mind, I don't mind installing it for the sake of testing. Let me know.
There is no ZxRi ID in the Linux driver and will not work. You need to compile the audio kernel module yourself, it's only an option if we can not do it this way.
Indeed with Layout ID 4 I got the volume control working.
That means you can increase and decrease the volume?
SourceX - Destination91. This one gave me sound with volume control in the green rear Line-Out port only. Both mic ports still work.
So let's find a working source for destination point 91, one or more should work. If so, try the GPIO tool again if it activates the headphones.

Attachments

• source_for Line-Out.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 53
Hello
I have Creative SoundBlaster Z.
I read a few pages to start the sound, but due to the fact that I do not understand English, I can not determine the correct sequence of actions.
What is done:
1) installed CodecCommander
2.1) Tried AppleALC
2.2) Tried VoodooHDA
In 2.1 case, the macOS either recognizes or does not recognize the outputs (I did not understand what it depends on). There is no sound.
In case 2.2, the macos recognize the outputs, but only the microphone works.
As far as I understand, this is slightly different from the ZXR, so the scheme of work is probably also different.
What are my next steps?
macOS 10.13.6
Sorry for bad english, I have to translate.
thank
Assuming that this is a PCIe card. Then you need to change at least the ACPI device name to HDEF, patch the HDAController ID to load the AppleHDA.kext. Also you have to set some bits in the BAR2 MMIO registers.
And set the mixer, which probably corresponds to the ZxR card.
VoodooHDA can at least handle the controller, but you still need to set up the mixer and the MMIO registers.

That means you can increase and decrease the volume?
Yes, volume control slider works, with increasing and decreasing the volume successfully.
So let's find a working source for destination point 91, one or more should work. If so, try the GPIO tool again if it activates the headphones.
Alright, here's what I got, still on Layout-id 4:
  • Sources 44 and 45 - No sound at all.
  • Sources 41, 42, 43, 46, 47, 48 - Sound comes only from the same rear Line-out port, when selecting the "Headphones" option from the top bar. The other "Line-Out" options yield no sound at all.
  • Source 49 - The first "Line-Out" option gives sound to the rear Line-Out port. No sound coming in from the other options (nor ports).
  • Source 4a - Again, sound comes only from the rear line out port, but with the 2nd "Line-Out" option from the top bar menu. No sounds coming in from the other options.

Alright, here's what I got, still on Layout-id 4:
  • Sources 44 and 45 - No sound at all.
  • Sources 41, 42, 43, 46, 47, 48 - Sound comes only from the same rear Line-out port, when selecting the "Headphones" option from the top bar. The other "Line-Out" options yield no sound at all.
  • Source 49 - The first "Line-Out" option gives sound to the rear Line-Out port. No sound coming in from the other options (nor ports).
  • Source 4a - Again, sound comes only from the rear line out port, but with the 2nd "Line-Out" option from the top bar menu. No sounds coming in from the other options.
If I understood correctly, you and MusicHacker are confused by the small speaker icon of the IO-Shield, which explains the strange behaviour of the outputs. If so, the jack with the speaker icon is the rear headphones jack. I think Gigabyte means that you can also connect speakers to this jack. Look at the picture "l" is the output for speakers.

Confusing is also the auto switch function between speakers and headphones, which indicates whether headphones or speakers are connected. However, it is one device for speakers and headphones in the preference pane. I'll remove that.

EDIT:
Here the AppleALC layout 4 without auto switch. The SSDT should enable Line-Out without using any tool.

Attachments

• back_panel_ZxRi.png
    back_panel_ZxRi.png
    679.8 KB · Views: 66
  • AppleALC.kext_1.3.7_noHP.zip
    879.9 KB · Views: 68
  • SSDT-ZxRi.aml 2.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Look at the picture "l" is the output for speakers.
Yes, the L port in your picture (Line-Out) is the only one that works after all these tests we made.
Here the AppleALC layout 4 without auto switch. The SSDT should enable Line-Out without using any tool
So, tried the new .aml file you provided in the /patched folder, and the new AppleALC. Here's what I got:
I got 4 options at the top bar, the first is "Digital Out" and the rest are "Line-Out" options:
  • 1st Line-Out option - Sound from the front headphone port, but extremely low volume (practically unusable)
  • 2nd Line-Out option - Sound from the C-sub port (the N from the attached picture you provided), but again extremely low volume.
  • 3rd Line-Out option - Sound from the rear speaker port (the O from the attached picture your provided), but again the volume is so low it's unusable.
  • Both rear and front mic jacks still give input when talking to the microphone.
So while we got 3 ports now giving a sound, I have to place the speakers to my ears while having the room quiet, so I can hear the music (still in really low volume). If we manage to fix that, then getting 3 ports out of a Creative ZxRi is awesome (and more than enough if you ask me, I just need one rear port for speakers, and one front for headphones).

Perhaps a different layout ID can help with that?

Yes, the L port in your picture (Line-Out) is the only one that works after all these tests we made.
I'm sorry that I thought you were constantly using the connector with the speaker icon. I already had another user who used it.
For a better understanding, port L should be configured to use stream 14 with source 48 and destination 91. The GPIO tool should switch between speakers and headphones.
You can check with the script if this is already done after startup. Also try again the tool from post #263.
Try the new .aml files. Auto switching probably still works, see if it helps if you unplug the rear headphone.

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 69
I'm sorry that I thought you were constantly using the connector with the speaker icon. I already had another user who used it.
No worries. I used to be a computer technician (before deciding to be a stay at home mom), so I had the habit of testing everything, so any tests you are giving me are done on all ports, I assure you.
The GPIO tool should switch between speakers and headphones.
I haven't noticed any switching happening with the tool. Although when I was on Layout ID 1 (before conducting our latest tests) there was automatic switching happening when I was plugging the speakers to different ports (at least showing up in the top bar), although no sound coming in.
Also try again the tool from post #263.
Tried the tool all the sources from 41-49 and 4a and yielded no changes nor switching to any of the ports when on 2nd and 3rd Line Out options from the top bar menu. Using the tool in any source when on the 1st Line Out option, loses the front headphone jack audio and no sound coming in (details on working sound and relation to sleep/wake below).
Try the new .aml files.
AML 2 Results:
  • 1st "Line-Out" option from the top bar menu: no sound, although there's static noise in the Line-Out port (L from the diagram)
  • 2nd "Line-Out" option: C/Sub port (N) working sound, although a bit choppy/distorted. Still static noise coming in when connecting to the Line-Out (L) port.
  • 3rd "Line-Out" option: Rear Speaker (O) working sound, also a bit choppy.
AML 3 Results:
  • 1st "Line-Out" option: static noise on Line-Out (L) port, but after sleep / wake up got fully working sound on the front headphone jack.
  • 2nd "Line-Out" option: C/Sub port (N) working sound, a bit choppy just like in AML 2 file.
  • 3rd "Line-Out" option: again just like in AML 2 file, working sound in Rear Speaker (O) port, but a bit choppy/distorted.
You can check with the script if this is already done after startup.
Check attachment for the output.

Attachments

• Parameters Output.txt
    544 bytes · Views: 61
No worries. I used to be a computer technician (before deciding to be a stay at home mom)
:clap: I also thought about it, but I was worried that the job might be too hard for me.:oops:
Although when I was on Layout ID 1 (before conducting our latest tests) there was automatic switching happening when I was plugging the speakers to different ports (at least showing up in the top bar), although no sound coming in.
Yes, but it only changes the Pin control, that is not sufficient for this codec.
Tried the tool all the sources from 41-49 and 4a and yielded no changes nor switching to any of the ports when on 2nd and 3rd Line Out options from the top bar menu.
This tool should only change different sources to destination 91, which only affects the 1st Line-out. The script output shows us that it failed.
AML 2 Results:
  • 1st "Line-Out" option from the top bar menu: no sound, although there's static noise in the Line-Out port (L from the diagram)
  • 2nd "Line-Out" option: C/Sub port (N) working sound, although a bit choppy/distorted. Still static noise coming in when connecting to the Line-Out (L) port.
  • 3rd "Line-Out" option: Rear Speaker (O) working sound, also a bit choppy.
  • Change the sample rate to 96kHz with the Audio-MIDI-Setup.app. If that helps, I can force the AppleHDA to always set it to 96kHz.
AML 3 Results:
  • 1st "Line-Out" option: static noise on Line-Out (L) port, but after sleep / wake up got fully working sound on the front headphone jack.
  • Run the GPIO_flags script while you have sound on the front headphones.

Here a new .AML and GPIO-tool

Attachments

• GPIO 2.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 56
  • SSDT-ZxRi.aml 4.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 54
  • main.scpt_GPIO.zip
    14.1 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back