Contribute
Register

Creative CA0132 codec discussion (Sound Core3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how audio can be so easily lost just after a restart, with no way to bring it back again.

Turns out, if I put the computer to sleep, and then wake it up, the audio returns, even on layouts 1 and 2. But again, it's only on headphone ports and/or C-sub, which I don't mind. What bugs me is that the volume is so low it's almost unusable.

Yes, neither shows any audio devices. I've also tried the latest one you just attached, also doesn't work at all. Tried with plenty of layout-ids (1, 2, 4, 5).
Ok, if there were not devices with layout 4,5 something was wrong 4,5 was unchanged.
Turns out, if I put the computer to sleep, and then wake it up, the audio returns, even on layouts 1 and 2. But again, it's only on headphone ports and/or C-sub, which I don't mind. What bugs me is that the volume is so low it's almost unusable.
Always in a hurry, I probably asked you twice for the same output, and forgot about the GPIO values that MusicHacker gave me. The GPIOs could solve the issue. Here is a new AppleALC, try layout 1,2 and 3, also the attached tool.
The CodecCommander from the first page probably will not work with the ZxRi card, use the CodecCommander from here and the SSDT from the archive.

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    917.9 KB · Views: 197
Here is a new AppleALC, try layout 1,2 and 3, also the attached tool.
The CodecCommander from the first page probably will not work with the ZxRi card, use the CodecCommander from here and the SSDT from the archive.
I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

So there's been some good development. Installed as you asked, the CodecCommander + the last AppleALC you attached, along with the SSDT patch. Set to Layout 1.

- Upon reboot, I got a static noise on the Green Line-Out. Nothing from the other ports. And there's no volume control.
- Then I put it to sleep and woke it up. That brought the sound perfectly working on the green Line-Out port (but still no volume control, not a biggie).
- The "Speakers HP_ZxRi" tool broke the audio, without a way to bring it back, until I made a full restart. A restart brought back the perfectly working audio on the green Line-Out port.

Will test with the other layouts as well and see how that goes, but so far, I'm pleased with the results. :thumbup:

Will test with the other layouts as well and see how that goes, but so far, I'm pleased with the results.

Tested with Layout ID 2 and 3. 2 yielded no sound at all, and 3 brought sound again on the green Line-Out port. In Layout ID 3 there were 2 "Line-Out" port selections on the Audio menu, the one without the Volume Control worked.

So far, the best Layout-ID is 1.

- Upon reboot, I got a static noise on the Green Line-Out. Nothing from the other ports. And there's no volume control.
- Then I put it to sleep and woke it up. That brought the sound perfectly working on the green Line-Out port (but still no volume control, not a biggie).
- The "Speakers HP_ZxRi" tool broke the audio, without a way to bring it back, until I made a full restart. A restart brought back the perfectly working audio on the green Line-Out port.
No volume control means grayed out slider or without effect?

I assume that you have no sound after a reboot, run the script from the attachment while you have no sound, and repeat it after wake up while the sound is working, and show me the output.

Also try the new builded AppleALC, layout 1-3.

To better understand why this codec does not simply work.
The CA0132 codec has a kind of mixer that allows us to redirect the HDA stream to different nodes. By default, the amps are turned off, so there is no volume control, and a few other quirks. But the biggest issue is that the ZxRi codec is different than the R3Di I own. That does not mean it's not possible to get it up running, but it requires further research, which is not an easy task without documentation. However, I am confident that we will manage it, perhaps not completely, but enough for daily use.
Creative does not even care about the Linux users. They do not want to give us any documentation about this codec.

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext_1.3.7_2.zip
    879.6 KB · Views: 188
  • GPIOs_flags_params.sh.zip
    825 bytes · Views: 191
Sorry for late reply, kids are home for the Easter holidays, and they take up all of my time nowadays.

No volume control means grayed out slider or without effect?
I meant grayed out slider.

I assume that you have no sound after a reboot, run the script from the attachment while you have no sound, and repeat it after wake up while the sound is working, and show me the output.

Actually the sound stays after reboot. I've restarted a couple of times and didn't lose the sound thus far. Check the attachment for the output with the sound working.

That does not mean it's not possible to get it up running, but it requires further research, which is not an easy task without documentation. However, I am confident that we will manage it, perhaps not completely, but enough for daily use.
Creative does not even care about the Linux users. They do not want to give us any documentation about this codec.

It's sad to see that they are not more open with their documentation. I can imagine how difficult it must be to figure out how to make it fully working. But as long as you are willing to keep on trying, I am too. Be back in a while with results on the other AppleALC.kext you just attached.

Attachments

• GPIO Output.txt
    367 bytes · Views: 78
Be back in a while with results on the other AppleALC.kext you just attached.

So this last AppleALC.kext works only on Layout 1, with the same results as the last one: working sound only on that one rear Line-out port. Layout IDs 2 and 3 yield no devices at all.

I'm doing this for fun.
Try out the new tool, even if you have no sound, plug in headphones and listen for the noise. One of the bits should enable or disable the static noise. If the microphone works, you can also see which bit deactivates the rear microphone respectively activates the front mic. Also try AppleALC.
Did you install Windows as well? Does audio work after Windows was started?

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext_1.3.7_3.zip
    879.9 KB · Views: 180
  • GPIO.zip
    38.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Try out the new tool, even if you have no sound, plug in headphones and listen for the noise. One of the bits should enable or disable the static noise.
The GPIO tool only gives me sound at "All On" and only the rear Line-Out port, just like before. I tried with the headphones, but there was no noise coming in when changing bits. Bit0, Bit1, Bit2, Bit3, all these lose me the sound completely.
If the microphone works, you can also see which bit deactivates the rear microphone respectively activates the front mic.
Microphone already works on both the rear and front ports.
Also try AppleALC.
Tried it with Layout 1, same result as before. I will try more Layout IDs if you want.
Did you install Windows as well? Does audio work after Windows was started?
Yes I have, and yes, after booting to Windows 10, and then booting back to macOS, audio still works. That's one good thing, I don't lose the audio anymore from sleeps or restarts.

I tried with the headphones, but there was no noise coming in when changing bits. Bit0, Bit1, Bit2, Bit3, all these lose me the sound completely.
The noise is very quiet, but noticeable.

Microphone already works on both the rear and front ports.
Both at the same time? There are probably more differences to the R3Di codec.

Yes I have, and yes, after booting to Windows 10, and then booting back to macOS, audio still works. That's one good thing, I don't lose the audio anymore from sleeps or restarts.
What about Linux? Does it work under Linux?

Because the HDA node 6 you are currently using with layout-id 1 has no AMPs you do not have volume control.
Try the tool from the attachement while using layout-id 4. There are three outputs, choose the first Line-Out and try the tool.

Attachments

• source_dest.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back