Contribute
Register

Creative CA0132 codec discussion (Sound Core3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so try this AppleALC to see if that's why it works with VoodooHDA. Use layout-id 1 or 2

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    886.1 KB · Views: 143
I just finished my Z370 AORUS Gaming WIFI build for 10.13.6, and both the front and rear panel stereo outputs have lots of digital noise (it correlates with disk and CPU activity). The output level seems OK, in other words it's not a result of low output and too much gain in the amp I'm using.

I am using only AppleALC and all the ports are recognized/selectable in MacOS Sound. The noise is constant, unrelated to system or control panel volume. I just came from a Z68 series with Realtek chip and it was quiet as can be using the same cables, amp, etc. I literally just swapped computers. I suspect it's just noise coming through the analog output hardware, but toleda asked that I post here for comments. Thanks if anyone can help!

After some experimentation, using the TOSlink output and a USB DAC, everything works well except when using the motherboard's analog output directly so it's not the audio driver. I have concluded, based on Googling the symptoms, that this is a characteristic of the board - probably poor layout or isolation. I'll be sure to buy a board with the Realtek chip next time if I want to use the analog output, as they seem to work better (all of my prior 3 Hack builds have had Realtek audio).

@BobDobbs
If you already use the IRQ fixes and the CodecCommander.kext from the first page, you can try a replacement power supply. I also had a noise during WI-FI activity since I changed the power supply, the noise is gone.

@wern Thanks - I have tried numerous sw fixes already with no effect. I recognize that a switching power supply could have some adverse effect on system noise; I bought one of the recommended high-end EVGA power supplies when building the unit. There don't seem to be any online discussions complaining about radiated or conducted noise, which of course doesn't mean I don't have a defective unit.

Ok, so try this AppleALC to see if that's why it works with VoodooHDA. Use layout-id 1 or 2

Just picking up where you and Colanta left off, I tried this last AppleALC.kext you uploaded, but no audio devices were loaded. Updating to the latest AppleALC.kext from Clover Configurator seems to find the devices (1 Digital Out, 1 Internal Speakers), and "Internal Speakers" change to "Headphones" when plugging the headphones to the front headphone jack. So devices are being recognized

The only problem is there is no sound coming from any port still. Puzzling.

And lucky me, the latest 10.14.4 macOS update lost me the audio with VoodooHDA too. In fact, when VoodooHDA.kext is loaded, my Hack will just keep rebooting, so I can only stay in the always silent AppleALC.kext for now.

Will keep on trying and experimenting if you want, but I might be inclined to get a USB Audio device, as I still need audio for work.

@TravelerTechie @MusicHacker and the other ZxRi users. Can someone give me the output of the attached script?

Just giving you the output as requested, sorry for not seeing it before. Still fiddling around to try and fix the audio in the 10.14.4 update.

Attachments

• Output of HDAnode_streamID.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 68
Just picking up where you and Colanta left off, I tried this last AppleALC.kext you uploaded, but no audio devices were loaded.
Did you try it with layout-id 1 and 2 ?

And lucky me, the latest 10.14.4 macOS update lost me the audio with VoodooHDA too. In fact, when VoodooHDA.kext is loaded, my Hack will just keep rebooting, so I can only stay in the always silent AppleALC.kext for now.

Will keep on trying and experimenting if you want, but I might be inclined to get a USB Audio device, as I still need audio for work.
VoodooHDA works here with 10.14.4. If you are using VoodoHDA, disable the HDAS to HDEF fix.
Just giving you the output as requested, sorry for not seeing it before. Still fiddling around to try and fix the audio in the 10.14.4 update.
The output shows me that CodecCommander is not installed in /L/E or not the first page.

You can also try this kext, especially layout-id 2

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext_1.3.6_2.zip
    886.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Did you try it with layout-id 1 and 2 ?
Yes, neither shows any audio devices. I've also tried the latest one you just attached, also doesn't work at all. Tried with plenty of layout-ids (1, 2, 4, 5).

I then installed again back the AppleALC.kext 1.3.6 from Github to /L/E (along with your version of CodecCommander.kext, also in /L/E). I then tried every single layout id. I got sound finally through layout-id 5, on only one of the ports (C-sub). Not very loud but working nonetheless. And there was also some sound coming in on both the rear & front headphone ports, in extremely low volume.

I then proceeded testing with more layout-ids, which none of them worked, and when I went back to layout-id 5, the audio was completely gone again in all the ports.

I don't know how audio can be so easily lost just after a restart, with no way to bring it back again. I also have enabled all those IRQ patches you have on the first post of this thread, but still no audio. I've tested layouts 1 to 12, only 5 gave me audio (on c/sub port), even if it was for a brief time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back