Contribute
Register

Creative CA0132 codec discussion (Sound Core3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a few users ask if audio is possible with this codec, especially for the GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 mainboard, here some solutions:

Below, a fully patched kext that gives you the default outputs. For headphones and front microphone you can use the attached switcher. Other layouts are also possible.
Why a fully patched kext? because i think it is the easiest way to make audio working. The Gigabyte Gaming 7 users, without a patched DSDT need only the HDAS to HDEF clover-patch.

If you want to use the fully patched kext, remove voodooHDA.kext and HDADisabler.kext, make sure the ACPI audio device name is HDEF (DSDT, SSDT, clover-patch) and layout-id 0.
Noob question - Where and how do you set layout-id 0?
I'm still trying to get volume control working.

If you don't set any layout-id it should be 0. You can verify it with the IORegistryExplorer.

It can be changed through the config.plist
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>0</string>
        </dict>

If you use a custom DSDT, you have to change it there, because a DSDT, SSDT has higher priority than the config.plist.
Code:
"layout-id",
            Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                       
            },

Attachments

• IORegExplorer.png
    IORegExplorer.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 198
If you don't set any layout-id it should be 0. You can verify it with the IORegistryExplorer.

It can be changed through the config.plist
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>0</string>
        </dict>
I could not find the setting you have in the IORegistryExplorer, but I've attached a pic of what I did find.
IORegistryExplorer.png
I also attached a pic of the Audio entry in my config.plist. It's set to detect, and I wasn't sure if it needed to be changed to 0 or not.
config.plist Audio.png

And just for reference, I get audio through my Line Out jack, but not through the Optical Digital Out port. My main hope is that I can get the volume control working.

Ok, you're using VoodooHDA, I have no experience with this kext.
If you want to use volume control use the patched kext or AppleALC.kext, but keep in mind that the digital port has no volume control even on real Macs.

Ok, you're using VoodooHDA, I have no experience with this kext.
If you want to use volume control use the patched kext or AppleALC.kext, but keep in mind that the digital port has no volume control even on real Macs.
I thought I read that VoodooHDA was needed for my Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 7 motherboard?

I thought I read that VoodooHDA was needed for my Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 7 motherboard?
Creative, the manufacturer of this codec does not comply with the Intel HDA specifications. That's also the reason why it does not fully work with VoodooHDA and probably will not work without changing the VoodooHDA code.
Many users have confirmed that the patched kext or AppleALC (same resources) works with the Gaming 7 mainboard.

Creative, the manufacturer of this codec does not comply with the Intel HDA specifications. That's also the reason why it does not fully work with VoodooHDA and probably will not work without changing the VoodooHDA code.
Many users have confirmed that the patched kext or AppleALC (same resources) works with the Gaming 7 mainboard.
So I installed the patched AppleHDA kext, and the CodecCommander kext but still no volume control. VooDooHDA was removed. Was I supposed to install the CodecCommander kext?
EDIT: And when I run the CA0132 Audio Switcher nothing happens.

Do you see any device?
If you want to use the patched AppleHDA.kext, install it to /S/L/E a kext utility is recommended. CodecCommander is not needed, but you will probably loose the sound after an update.
If you want to use AppleALC, you will also need the Lilu.kext, copy them to clover/kexts/Other and CodecCommander to /L/E.
An ioreg dump is helpfull.

The kexts were placed in the proper locations. But why is a kext utility recommended instead of just copying the kext to the correct folder via Finder after the EFI is mounted?

And I'm kind of new to this, so I'm not familiar with doing and ioreg dump.

The kexts were placed in the proper locations. But why is a kext utility recommended instead of just copying the kext to the correct folder via Finder after the EFI is mounted?

And I'm kind of new to this, so I'm not familiar with doing and ioreg dump.
If you want to use AppleALC + Lilu, you do not need to use a Kext utility. Only if you install a kext in the extensions folder. A kext utility will repair permissions and rebuild the cache, if you do not want to use a kext utility, use the terminal to do it, but you need to know the correct commands.

How to save your IOReg, see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back