Contribute
Register

Create Unique System & Board Serial Numbers with GenSMBIOS - Video Tutorial

Hey. Okay, so I was having the same problem too. You need to download the latest macserial and put it in the folder where you are running your GenSMBIOS.command from. You can skip option 1 then and go ahead with the serial gens etc after that.
Worked for me anyway ;)
Having the same network issue. Can you elaborate how you fixed it and got it working?

Many in this community are starting fresh with a clean install of macOS Big Sur using the OpenCore bootloader. If you have used Clover bootloader previously, remember to Reset NVRAM first before installing Big Sur. This video guide shows you how to get your new install properly working with Apple services.

After you've reached the Big Sur account setup pages, remember to NOT sign in with your Apple ID. Do that after you have created your Serials and SMUUID, added them to your config.plist and then rebooted. Do this at the Apple ID sign in page:

Many older Macs have lost support in Big Sur. You may have had to update your 2013 iMac 14,2 (or another SMBIOS) to one that is supported. If you need to generate new Serials this is one of the easiest ways to do that and add them to your new OpenCore config.plist. Here are the four main values you'll create for or enter into your OC config.plist:

PlatformInfo -> Generic -> MLB or Main Logic Board (Motherboard)
PlatformInfo -> Generic -> ROM or Ethernet MAC Address
PlatformInfo -> Generic -> SystemSerialNumber
PlatformInfo -> Generic -> SystemUUID

The System UUID is the best way to Identify a machine, it exists in Windows PCs, Macs and many other platforms. It is 32 characters in length, a Universally Unique IDentifier.

If you'd like to use the EFI agent app (shown in video) to mount your EFI partitions, get it here: https://github.com/headkaze/EFI-Agent/releases

Make sure to watch the whole video to the end. You'll need to check Apple's database of "real" Macs to make sure your generated System Serial Number is unique to your computer.
Starting a new project with Dell 9020. I've got Monterey up and running. I've generated several serial numbers and every time a check serial with Apple I get this message:
"We’re sorry, we’re unable to check coverage for this serial number. Please check your information and try again. For help with Apple accessories, please contact Apple Support."

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong?
Apple changed the wording of the message. That means the serial tested is not in their database and you can use it safely.

The ROM in the config file is of type "data" as opposed to "string" as the serial number and system UUID, and the sample is formatted as "<47493577 22>". How should I enter my MAC Address (with colons removed) into the value field for ROM?

How should I enter my MAC Address (with colons removed) into the value field for ROM?
Just like in the video, copy/paste and remove all the colons. There should be no spaces between any of the numbers.

Back