Contribute
Register

Create AVCHD or Bluray disc - free software for OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Short: Looking for (preferably free) program that can create/author simple Bluray or AVCHD discs to be played in standalone player connected to TV. I also want to organize the films in some free program, like IPhoto.

Long: AVCHD support (mainly films from handheld cameras) have improved lately in OSX, both Iphoto and Imovie now supports it without reencoding on import - at least that's my impression. Previously I've handled those files in Windows, as OSX have lacked any proper way to import and edit them (at least using free software or Ilife).

But now, I want to move all media to OSX, not just music and photos. I've been using Windows for years, and software like Multi-AVCHD, AVCHDCoder, and others.

I want to:

1) Keep the AVCHD films from the camera, unedited and original, in Iphoto, Aperture or similar. I have Iphoto and Aperture, but not sure about AVCHD support. Will they import from folders, not just from camera as previously (with hideously slow converting process)?

2) Use a program to edit the films and save them, preferably not with a full reencode.

3) Use a program to burn them to playable Bluray discs, with a simple menu, without a full reencode (AVCHD files should able to remux to bluray format?)

4) If Bluray is not possible, AVCHD disc and menu might be an ok solution for now.

Sorry about a post with many questions, some I could probably find answers too myself by trial and error, but information on apple.com and other sites is sparse.

One option I've looked into is using DVDFab Creator to make Bluray, but that is a commercial program I'd rather not buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back