Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys is there any step by step how to setup Clover EFI Bootlader? I tried to install and download many files on my root but I cant understand anything first boot? Please give me a link for Clover...

I currently have two 60GB SSDs in a RAID 0 array (through Disk Utility), in addition to my 1.5TB HDD. Does anyone know if it's possible to use 2 SSDs / 1 HDD with Fusion Drive? Or would I have to choose just 1 SSD and do the usual method?

It'd be awesome to make a Fusion Drive with 2 RAID0 SSDs and a hard drive, but I'm guessing Apple hasn't allowed complex setups like that.

I currently have two 60GB SSDs in a RAID 0 array (through Disk Utility), in addition to my 1.5TB HDD. Does anyone know if it's possible to use 2 SSDs / 1 HDD with Fusion Drive? Or would I have to choose just 1 SSD and do the usual method?

It'd be awesome to make a Fusion Drive with 2 RAID0 SSDs and a hard drive, but I'm guessing Apple hasn't allowed complex setups like that.

Yes, you can use a softRAID as a physical volume. I've tested that it's possible, haven't been able to do practical setup for one yet and benchmark it. Diskutil will treat a RAID just the same as a single disk when creating a LVG. Mirrors work as well, it can lose one on the fly and not have a problem. Theoretically you could even fuse a set of mirrored SSDs and mirrored HDD's for speed and redundancy.

I've been planning on throwing a 2nd SSD into my iMac and test this practically but if you've got the hardware for it now, give it a shot and let me know how well it works practically.

Has anyone confirmed that TRIM is enabled on the factory setup FusionDrives? I'm not sure if it's needed or if CoreStorage is smart enough to do garbage management on it's own. I haven't tried it on either on my 2 setups but both of mine use OWC drives that OWC says specifically do not enable TRIM.

this is my Fusion Drive in my Macbook and Trim Enabler.
Speed is good but not stable. all the time i have spin ball! Maybe is because my Macbook is SataII.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2012-11-12 às 12.59.14.jpg
    Captura de Tela 2012-11-12 às 12.59.14.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 2,707
try diskutil cs delete A7981AD1-31FC-446F-9D16-0F32FB9A6EAB
The UUID is for the Logical Volume Group.

thanks! i will try this! i using my macbook for 2 days now but is not stable. i go back to 2 drives!

Yes, you can use a softRAID as a physical volume. I've tested that it's possible, haven't been able to do practical setup for one yet and benchmark it. Diskutil will treat a RAID just the same as a single disk when creating a LVG. Mirrors work as well, it can lose one on the fly and not have a problem. Theoretically you could even fuse a set of mirrored SSDs and mirrored HDD's for speed and redundancy.

I've been planning on throwing a 2nd SSD into my iMac and test this practically but if you've got the hardware for it now, give it a shot and let me know how well it works practically.

Awesome. I'll give it a try as soon as I have a little time. I would imagine the redundancy of the RAID0 SSD's along with the intelligent caching and tiering of Fusion could result in fantastic performance. I'll just have to continue to maintain complete backups, since if any of the three drives die.. I'm guessing it'll corrupt all the data.

Does anyone have any comments on the testing done at diglloyd showing that "roll-your-own" Fusion (not using Apple drives) doesn't actually work? What they seem to be saying is that once your SSD fills and data starts spilling onto the Hard Drive, Fusion does not migrate commonly accessed files to the SSD like it should. Here is the article:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121103_3-Fusion-summary-so-far.html

Can anyone disprove this? I'd very much like to "roll-my-own" fusion drive; but if it doesn't actually migrate data then it's pretty useless.

Thanks the_WB. I almost suspected this would work with chimera too, but I didn't bother to try it. Now I'm back :) I actually like chimera lot better, it's just more mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back