Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but I believe the reason Patrick Stein aka jollyjinx turned off spotlight indexing was only so that it would not interfere with his testing. Notice that in his blog post on tumblr, part 1 is about setting up the fusion drive while parts 2 and 3 are about testing its behavior. Turning off indexing is a step at the start of part 2, not in part 1.

I think your right. I'm messing around with my Fusion drive right now, I'll change the OP and correct the Terminal command to format 100% of the drive with jhfs+.

ps. The fused drives "Fusion Drive" seems to be working very well with Clover UEFI.

Will this work on BIOS based motherboard? Any workaround to make Clover + fusion drive + BIOS based startup?

Nice post!

Im very curious about the video... when running the benchmark. the fusion drive write speeds were the same as standard hard drive... and the read speeds were about 1/2 of the vertex 4.

is this simply because the bench mark was not using the flash drive during the test?

from what I understand of fusion, osx and all base apps are on flash, and everything else is on hd.. Then fusion learns what apps are used more freq and moves them to flash...

if black magic was read/writting to the hd (and not flash) how did it reach high read speeds?
is fusion extending the cache of the standard hd? kind of like intels ready cache?

sooo would fusion be faster than a separate flash / classic hd 2 partition combo.

mrengles (and anyone else who are running fusion)

have you noticed any overall slow downs since running osx off flash.. before fusion?

any performance gains while running large apps you would normally run off the HD partition?

Currently I have 10.8.2 installed on a 120 GB SSD with my home folder moved to a 1 TB HD.
The only apps on the SSD are the Apple apps, iLife, iWork, Aperture, etc.
All of the other apps I add are in the app folder in my home folder. This works well for me.

What would be the advantage of combining the two drives into a Fusion Drive?

I'm not sure... A Fusion Drive, can only have 1 extra partition. More info can be found here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I apologies to every asking questions about Fusion Drive this? or Fusion Drive that? I created/fused the drives last night before I went to bed, and have been unable to really test anything. I will mess with it more once I get home from work tonight.

From the link it looks like you could put another partition only on the hdd (no ssd speeds) perhaps its do-able, but for windows only gaming having an ssd is nice...

I tried it with an SSD
+ 2 HDD
it worked, you can not use chimera as bootloader
must start on the USB unibeast

use UEFI Bootloader v2 Clover is not easy to installed, but difficult to set

I don´t see a extreme perfomance to justify create a Fusion Drive for me, i use a samsung 512GB SSD for OS X Mountain Lion and Apple app´s, and 2 TB HD for other files. Amazing fast.

I don´t see a extreme perfomance to justify create a Fusion Drive for me, i use a samsung 512GB SSD for OS X Mountain Lion and Apple app´s, and 2 TB HD for other files. Amazing fast.

Am with Sanjad on this one, and seeing videos on the benefits of using Fusion over an ssd for thee os, and rotational drive for data, music, photos docs etc, its not worth it.

*Originally Posted by sanjad *
Am with Sanjad on this one, and seeing videos on the benefits of using Fusion over an ssd for thee os, and rotational drive for data, music, photos docs etc, its not worth it.

Agree- for build-your-own systems, one usually has room for a few extra drives. I don't see Fusion Drive as something that solves any particular issues for us. However this is a cool hack- I've been enjoying reading about it, and I'm glad that so many are experimenting with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back