Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clover isn't necessary at all. I just finished setting up a Fusion drive that boots with Chimera. The steps are essentially the same as the RAID-0 guide found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-guides/32724-lion-10-7-2-raid-0-tonymacx86-tools-chimera.html
except instead of creating a RAID partition, you substitute the steps in post 1 of this thread to create a CoreStorage logical volume group and partition. Chimera's boot0, boot1h, and boot files are manually installed into the hidden diskXs3 "Boot OS X" partition on both drives, along with /Extra. The UUID of the Fusion volume goes in the kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I haven't done any testing, the only thing I have on the drive is a fresh install of 10.8.2, which I cloned from another drive. Of course a fresh install fits entirely on the SSD, so it's blazing fast.

Basically I think this whole "Fusion Thing" is 90% marketing and maybe 10% of an advantage for the user. But in my book you are better of with one SSD and one HDD.

It's like the iMac, or any other "all-in-one" computer. If the monitor break, your computer is useless too, if your computer break, you can't use your monitor. And with fusion HDD you are in the same boat, if one of the disks gets faulty, all your data is in big danger.

But of course this is how I see it, your mileage may vary

I love the idea of the Fusion drive on a hackintosh. I've had 500+GB drives on my MacBook Pro for some time now and have been steadily filling out the capacity of a 1TB 5400rpm drive on it of late. When setting up my Hac Pro one of my primary concerns was deciding what information I needed to cut out in order to make use of my 256GB SSD. The Fusion drive would eliminate this and I could just migrate my accounts as-is. For me, the question is, why not? I already have a couple extra 2TB 3.5" HDDs in addition to the one I'm using as my archive/media drive and also a 3TB USB 3.0 external drive for Time Machine/CCC backups. So, basically, why not merge the 2TB drive I'm already using for media with the SSD and use the other drives to back up the Fusion drive?

Clover isn't necessary at all. I just finished setting up a Fusion drive that boots with Chimera. The steps are essentially the same as the RAID-0 guide found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-guides/32724-lion-10-7-2-raid-0-tonymacx86-tools-chimera.html
except instead of creating a RAID partition, you substitute the steps in post 1 of this thread to create a CoreStorage logical volume group and partition. Chimera's boot0, boot1h, and boot files are manually installed into the hidden diskXs3 "Boot OS X" partition on both drives, along with /Extra. The UUID of the Fusion volume goes in the kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Thanks for the explanation WB ... :thumbup:

but I'd just like to know : Chimera bootloader is compulsory even when there is a mobo with UEFI bios and I'm not using any DSDT?:confused: :rolleyes:

The_WB thank you very much!
After spending several days trying to run my Fusion Drive with the method of Clover, and without getting any results ... I finally reply has paved the way and got a perfect performance.
I now enjoy a much better speed and the system behaves very well.
Thanks ...
Sorry for my English ....

I haven't done any testing, the only thing I have on the drive is a fresh install of 10.8.2, which I cloned from another drive. Of course a fresh install fits entirely on the SSD, so it's blazing fast.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for testing and posting your results!

I'm definatley going to do this on my Macbook pro 13" mid 2010. Not sure about my Hacintosh. I'm currently running a 60 gb ssd for apps and a 1 tb hd for files. Suggestions on a good ssd for the Macbook pro?

I followed the guide and ended up not being able to boot. UniBeast sees two drives, plus the USB. When I try to boot to either it won't. Pulling the USB stick leaves me with "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

I suppose I need to so some more hacking and use Clover? It almost seems like the OS 'forgot' that I created an Fusion LV.

Any ideas? :banghead:

Hrm.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for testing and posting your results!

it works well thank you :headbang::headbang::clap::clap:

was more dual boot windows from disk is installed or mountain lion
must press F12 for me to choose the hard drive that contains Windows in that it starts

(The UUID of the Fusion volume goes in the kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist)
must use the UUID LOGICAL VOLUME F0105C89-21AA XXXXXXXXXXX
IN the kernel flags in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Attachments

• macgpic_1351874380_converted_optim.jpg
    macgpic_1351874380_converted_optim.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 466
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back