Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree- for build-your-own systems, one usually has room for a few extra drives. I don't see Fusion Drive as something that solves any particular issues for us. However this is a cool hack- I've been enjoying reading about it, and I'm glad that so many are experimenting with this.
Like Tony said, is a cool hack, but if i do it, its just for fun:headbang:
In other drivers of course!!!:lol:

Agree- for build-your-own systems, one usually has room for a few extra drives. I don't see Fusion Drive as something that solves any particular issues for us. However this is a cool hack- I've been enjoying reading about it, and I'm glad that so many are experimenting with this.

I imagine that most people would do this in the interest of cheapness. Yeah, I could always stuff a few extra drivers into my HAF 922, but why bother when a 512 GB SSD is still $300? Just fuse a 128 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive together!

Am with Sanjad on this one, and seeing videos on the benefits of using Fusion over an ssd for thee os, and rotational drive for data, music, photos docs etc, its not worth it.

Basically I think this whole "Fusion Thing" is 90% marketing and maybe 10% of an advantage for the user. But in my book you are better of with one SSD and one HDD.

It's like the iMac, or any other "all-in-one" computer. If the monitor break, your computer is useless too, if your computer break, you can't use your monitor. And with fusion HDD you are in the same boat, if one of the disks gets faulty, all your data is in big danger.

But of course this is how I see it, your mileage may vary

Hello guys !

Thx for the tutorial, I just "fused" my existing Macbook Pro late 09´s 500 gb hdd and a samsung 256 gb ssd config.
Works like a charm, downloaded the latest mountain lion from app store-)usb stick, made a timemachine backup on a external hdd, booted from usb, terminal commands ( took 2 min), installed osx onto new fusion drive, recovered from external hdd and voalá I now don´t have to worry about my pic libr. growing bigger or have to delete emails e.g. and use ssd speed, can do complete timem. backups and don´t have to do that manual. write 99 read 130 with blackmagic speed test ( sata 2 !). I m looking forward to try this on my Hackintosh. My Laptop got 256 gb ssd and uses about 200 so I always had to go under 110 gb to fit on my hackintosh 128 gb ssd. So now I can skip that point cause fusion drive will be 128 gb + 1tb hdd ( 50 bugs ?!?!) for almost the same performance....It´s a great deal for me :)

greets and thx from freezing cold austria !

Will this work on BIOS based motherboard? Any workaround to make Clover + fusion drive + BIOS based startup?

Same question here.
Does this work on a BIOS based motherboard?
I'm using Chimera as a boot loader and somehow it's not detecting the drives.
Is it me or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much for sharing this. I have been using a small SSD (32GB) with my hackintosh and had to mount my Home folder to a different hard drive in order to avoid filling up the OS SDD. The Fusion Drive will be a perfect solution for me.

I always have network backup using Time Machine and so I am not really concerned about loosing data. Cheers!

Ceate a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Same question here.
Does this work on a BIOS based motherboard?
I'm using Chimera as a boot loader and somehow it's not detecting the drives.
Is it me or am I doing something wrong?

It doesn't work with Chimera yet. Somebody smart will have to update it.

I don't understand those saying Fusion drives are useless. Maintaining seperate HDDs/SDDs has many downsides that the Fusion drive would solve. Many applications store data in user/Library/Applicatiob Support, so simply placing you user folder on the HDD isn't a solution. Steam, for example, stores all games there. Yes, you can get around this with symlinks, but it's not ideal.

When 512 GB SSDs can be had on the cheap, then this will become useless.

Well I've got fusion drive working. It's a novel idea works good, but with the amount of expansion drives I have it's unnecessary for my Hacintosh.

How can I destroy the fusion drive to get my two separate drives back both the ssd and hdd?

I have nothing worth backing up on the LVG....

Thanks

PS. I would only use a fusion drive if my SSD was under 64GB, and had limited expansion room for drives...even then I don't know if its really worth the headaches. It's a great marketing/selling tool for apple, but other then that a wast IMHO. Probably better off just buying a bigger SSD drive if you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back