Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
Thank you for this! I do see a speed improvement and the advantage to this. I am only having one issue. I can't seem to get it to boot without booting from my install USB Chrimra Install drive. How do I fix this? I have read this thread and don't see a solution for this. Any ideas.
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Thank you!

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

View attachment 36806

I've made a Fusion Drive that works with my Hackintosh "CustoMac" but I'm using Clover v2 UEFI Bootloader.

What will you need?

A. Any standard SATA SSD
B. Any standard SATA, USB, or FireWire HDD
C. Mac or (Hackintosh with Clover v2 UEFI Bootloader)
D. Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Installer USB (or another Mountain Lion 10.8.2 bootable drive).

Lets, get started...

1. Boot from the 10.8.2 Installer USB, format both of the drives you want to use with Disk Utility.

2. Open Terminal and type "diskutil list". You need to make note of the BSD drive locations for the two drives that will be used. Ex. disk0, and disk1
Code:
$ diskutil list

3. In Terminal Type "diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk1" this will fuse the drives together.
Code:
$ diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk1

*** Wait a minute. You should see scrolling output about whats happing to your drives in Terminal.

4. Once the fusion of the two drives has finished, in Terminal type "diskutil cs list" this will show the layout structure of your new CoreStorage (LVG) Logical Volume Groups.
Code:
$ diskutil cs list

5. You won't be able to create the first partition on the new (LVG) Logical Volume Group with Disk Utility. In preparation for the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 installation, in Terminal type something like this "diskutil coreStorage createVolume D1E3474F-4E7-4F26-9Z77-1A2BADF3CD45 jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" R"
Code:
$ diskutil coreStorage createVolume <UUID> jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" R

*** You will have you use your own (LVG) Logical Volume Group's UUID to complete step 8 correctly.

I don't want a Fusion Drive anymore, how to defuse?

1a. If your Fusion Drive is the startup volume, then you will need to boot with the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Installer USB or another OS X 10.8.2 bootable drive. Once in Terminal type "diskutil coreStorage revert <UUID>"
Code:
$ diskutil coreStorage revert <UUID>

*** You will have you use your own (LVG) Logical Volume Group's UUID to complete step 1a above.

Good luck!

Hope this helps you get the latest Apple Technology for a fraction of the price. Check out the links below for more information on the subject.

Original Author's Blog: http://jollyjinx.tumblr.com/post/34638496292/fusion-drive-on-older-macs-yes-since-apple-has

About Fusion Drive: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

Undocumented CoreStorage Commands: http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/08/05/undocumented-corestorage-commands/

Tonymacx86 member SJ_UnderWater's Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-guides/78465-understanding-using-fusion-drive.html

Clover EFI bootloader: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

-Mrengles :D

˚˚˚BEFORE YOU START ˚˚˚

˚˚˚ You’ll most likely loose iMessage and FaceTime functionality when booting from a fusion drive.

˚˚˚ Using Pacifist,a program you’ll need to download along with Chimera installer, navigating to the i386 folder. Click 'Extract…" and extract to desktop. Inside of the i386 folder, select all three files and copy the following onto your desktop: 'boot', 'boot0', and 'boot1h'.

˚˚˚ Now you’ll need your /Extra folder located on the root drive. Copy and past that folder to the desktop, we’ll need it later.

Terminal Commands:

diskutil list

diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk1 disk2 ˚˚˚disk1 and disk2 is going to be the 2 drives you want to fuse together.…˚˚˚

diskutil cs list

˚˚˚Copy logical volume group ID and store this in a safe place.˚˚˚

diskutil coreStorage createVolume **Logical Volume Group ID Here** jhfs+ “Fusion Drive” 100%

˚˚˚What this is doing is creating a special volume combined the two disks as 1, labeling the drive and the amount of it to be used as a fusion drive.˚˚˚
˚˚˚This will take a couple seconds, now copy "Core Storage LV UUID Identifier and paste it into textedit document˚˚˚

diskutil list ˚˚˚Verify that the volume created successfully, should say “Fusion Drive” and the amount you combined both drives to be.

˚˚˚Reboot computer˚˚˚

YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO BOOT WITH ANOTHER DRIVE OR INSTALL A FRESH COPY NOW SINCE YOUR FUSION DRIVE HAS NOTHING ON IT.

NOW IF YOU CLONED YOUR FILES AND KNOW HOW TO BOOT ONTO ANOTHER OS X TO TRANSFER THEM NOW IS THE TIME DO IT .

(Each /dev/disk1 will very) You’ll need to make sure you check by typing “diskutil list” and write down which disk number your SSD and HD are. Here were demonstrating that disk1 is out HD and disk2 is our SSD. Don’t worry about the s3 its all the same for every disk, just make sure you have the right disk #
cd Desktop

sudo su
˚˚˚This will allow you or grant you special super user abilities, so that you can install certain files ˚˚˚

diskutil list

˚˚˚ Find out with drives are your SSD and your HD that you’ve combined, same as the top instructions. Now what we want to do here is take or “cp” the ’boot', 'boot0', and 'boot1h' and /Extra folder from our desktop and to each respective partition. Alright so first off were going to start with the boot0 then boot1h then boot and last copy and past our /Extra. Now that you know what were going to do lets get to the terminal commands.˚˚˚

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk1
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk2

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

diskutil unmount disk1s3

diskutil mount disk2s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

diskutil unmount disk2s3

Restart you computer, now you should be able to boot from the drive without the use of a USB stick.

CREDITS

BOB ROCHE
TONYMAC X86

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back