i5-8600K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there,

I've been struggling with this problem a while now, I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to an NVRAM problem.

Here's my problem:
giphy.gif

When the NVIDIA web drivers are loaded I get crazy artefacting, most of the time, more on this later

Running
Graphics Card: Asus Strix 1080 TI
Processor: Intel i5 8600K
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z370-E
Display: Dell Alienware AW3418DW (G-SYNC enabled display)
NVIDIA Web Driver: 3.87.10.10.10.30.106 (latest)
macOS High Sierra: 10.13.4 (17E199) (latest)

Relevant Kexts:
NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Lilu
Full kext list in kexts.png attached
kexts.png

I can get Nvidia Web Drivers to work fine when:

A)
I install EmuVariableUefi-64 on its own with these other .efi files
drivers64uefi.png

The problem is you blow on this thing and it crashes.
Turn on night shift. crash
Go to sleep. crash
Monitor goes to sleep. can't get a signal again.
Turn off the computer. frozen... won't shut down

B)
Or I install AptioMemoryFix on its own (with the same corresponding cast of other non NVRAM related .efi files)

AND

I add or remove or replace a kext file in the kext folder, then restart
I think this forces some sort of rebuild somewhere and allows me to boot, everything runs perfectly.

I can even restart the computer and boot back in, as long as I don't boot into Windows 2 times.

But, if I boot into Windows, the first time, I think I can go back to the Mac side and things should still be OK. But on that first Windows boot, if I check my NVIDIA control panel, the G-SYNC option is missing.

If I turn off the monitor, and reboot into Windows, the G-SYNC option is back, but if I reboot into Mac after that, we get the beautiful gif I linked to above. And the only way to get it working again is to boot in with Nvidia Webdrivers disabled and replace a kext.

C) Running with EmuVariableUefi-64 AND OsxAptioFix3Drv-64
This ran perfectly for about 2 weeks. Just stopped working randomly. I even had G-SYNC enabled on the Windows side

Things I've tried:
-updating my kexts
-turning on NVRAM emulation in clover configurator (although that setting doesn't seem to have saved
-updating MacOS
-updating Nvidia Web Drivers
-using a combination of EmuVariableUefi-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
- OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 on its own (this one doesn't work at all ever)
- turning off nvda_drv=1 and just using NvidiaWeb system parameters (doesn't load the drivers at all)
- turning off or turning off G-SYNC on the Mac side

Anybody have any ideas or experienced this before?

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
hi,
I had this issue, it happened when I updated the NvidiaFixup kext from 1.2.4 to 1.2.6, seems like the kext might have some issues. Also, when it works fluidly, you will get lag if you use adobe software.

the Nvidia drivers are still Beta so please be patient, I've taken out my 1080ti and put my old 780 for now. until the drivers are finalised

I just changed some settings in my BIOS according to the readme settings on the AptioMemoryFix Github

https://github.com/vit9696/AptioFixPkg

>>>
  • Fast Boot and Hardware Fast Boot disabled in BIOS if present.
  • Above 4G Decoding or similar enabled in BIOS if present.

I also turned off overclocking on my memory so it's running 2133 mhz instead of 3200 mhz... seems to have helped

So right now I'm running AptioMemoryFix on its own.

I still got the screen artefacting a couple times, but I've been able to reboot and have it run ok. Typing on it as of now.

So far haven't noticed any issues with lag in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Will update if it gets better / worse

An update to AptioMemoryFix seems to have been what made it behave better.

I was using the one from Clover Configurator, but it doesn't seem to be the latest version.

The version that PastryChef compiled (in his nvidia v3 EFI attachment) is the one I'm using @fadis96 give it a shot with your 1080ti?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i7-8700k-amd-vega-56.239969/
AptioMemoryFix . .. 3?
PastryChef's guide is what i followed for my build. I have to say, i got the 1080ti working with no artefacts but when i used it with the adobe suite, it restored the lag issue.

Whats the status of intel graphics for you? enabled? 0x59120000 ... i think your intel is enabled? if you want it in ghost mode, you need 0x59120003 i think, so it plays nice with the nvidia. id turn it off at bios and from your clover for testing for now.

also whats your versions of:
Lilu.kext
NvidiaFixup.kext

AptioMemoryFix . .. 3?
PastryChef's guide is what i followed for my build. I have to say, i got the 1080ti working with no artefacts but when i used it with the adobe suite, it restored the lag issue.

Whats the status of intel graphics for you? enabled? 0x59120000 ... i think your intel is enabled? if you want it in ghost mode, you need 0x59120003 i think, so it plays nice with the nvidia. id turn it off at bios and from your clover for testing for now.

also whats your versions of:
Lilu.kext
NvidiaFixup.kext

Latest versions of Lilu and NvidiaFixup from the Github repos. (18 days old and 23 days old as of today)

I have prefer PCIE at the BIOS level, just changed the ig-platform-id to 0x59120003, will report back if anything is different. I was originally using Intel graphics while waiting for my gfx card to arrive, so that's probably why it was ...0000

I'm using the AptioMemoryFix.efi attached with 3.87.10.10.10.30.106 WebDrivers at the moment, seem most consistent.

I tried updating to the latest AptioMemoryFix, but it's not as stable as the one attached.

Updated WebDrivers to 3.87.10.10.10.30.107 but the system just kept crashing so I reverted to 3.87.10.10.10.30.106.

Using the latest MacOS version with the latest security patch.

Using Lightroom and Photoshop (a lot of Lightroom and a little Photoshop) and so far so good.

Attachments

• AptioMemoryFix.efi
    36.9 KB · Views: 113
Latest versions of Lilu and NvidiaFixup from the Github repos. (18 days old and 23 days old as of today)

I have prefer PCIE at the BIOS level, just changed the ig-platform-id to 0x59120003, will report back if anything is different. I was originally using Intel graphics while waiting for my gfx card to arrive, so that's probably why it was ...0000

I'm using the AptioMemoryFix.efi attached with 3.87.10.10.10.30.106 WebDrivers at the moment, seem most consistent.

I tried updating to the latest AptioMemoryFix, but it's not as stable as the one attached.

Updated WebDrivers to 3.87.10.10.10.30.107 but the system just kept crashing so I reverted to 3.87.10.10.10.30.106.

Using the latest MacOS version with the latest security patch.

Using Lightroom and Photoshop (a lot of Lightroom and a little Photoshop) and so far so good.

Im going to upload my EFI folder because I have the latest kext and the latest drivers working perfectly. fixed all my problems.

and yes placing intel in "headless" mode as far as I know is better for the overall lagging issue, while maintaining airplay.

Attachments

• EFI copy.zip
    24.6 MB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back