Contribute
Register

Crashes without warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting this here as much for my own reference as anyone else's:

Following @pastrychef 's mention that my config.plist seemed kinda basic, I did some reading about optimizing stuff and found a bunch of options that generally are said to make a more stable system which I wasn't using. So, yesterday I...
* corrected my audio driver
Then using Clover Configurator:
* In the ACPI I enable Pstates and Cstates as well as C2, C4, C6, and C7
* in the boot I enabled kext-dev-mode=1 and rootless=0

Since then, I've had the most stable computer I've had in weeks -- knock on wood. So far no crashes, and the NI installers which were failing on me have magically started working again.

We'll see how this goes before I bother learning how to install windows. Thanks everyone for all the help!

We are now at just over 1 month with no random reboots. I still haven't had time to put windows on my machine, though I will eventually. Other than that, I've been shutting down whenever I don't use the box bc that seemed to help previously but otherwise no changes since the above. Given travel I've been using the machine a bit less, but I've successfully both mixed and tracked for 4+ hour sessions straight with no reboots. Fingers crossed.

And just had another random reboot last night. Nothing unusual. Computer had been on for less then three hours total. Firefox was the only open app, streaming video via amazon. Hopefully this isn't the start of another round...

Ok. After doing some research, I think my issue is that my EFI is/was getting corrupted in some way. Was able to make a bootable backup with CCC, then erase the EFI and copy back. That seems to have corrected the issue for the moment. No reboots in about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back