i7-9700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
after a hardware crash which killed my motherboard and my CPU, I have to restore my Hackintosh System.
I have a Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming v1.0 in it.
I had to switch my 8700k to a 9700k, so I need the minimum BIOS version F11. With this version, I can boot into my old system, but it crashes after a few minutes and shuts off the computer.

I'd like to run it with BIOS version F14, but my High Sierra System won't boot anymore. This seems to be a general problem and can be fixed by updating the DSDT/SSDT. F11 seems to be the last working version.

The only thing is, I've seen many guides with fresh installations, but how can I update my system and preserve my current installation? I have a general idea about boot flags and clover configuration, but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to kexts, dsdts, ssdts...

Which are the steps I have to take to get my system up and running again? And do you guys maybe have an idea, what could trigger those instant crashes with the BIOS F11? I've updated Clover to the latest stable build.

Best Regards
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi,
after a hardware crash which killed my motherboard and my CPU, I have to restore my Hackintosh System.
I have a Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming v1.0 in it.
I had to switch my 8700k to a 9700k, so I need the minimum BIOS version F11. With this version, I can boot into my old system, but it crashes after a few minutes and shuts off the computer.

I'd like to run it with BIOS version F13, but my High Sierra System won't boot anymore. This seems to be a general problem and can be fixed by updating the DSDT/SSDT. F11 seems to be the last working version.

The only thing is, I've seen many guides with fresh installations, but how can I update my system and preserve my current installation? I have a general idea about boot flags and clover configuration, but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to kexts, dsdts, ssdts...

Which are the steps I have to take to get my system up and running again? And do you guys maybe have an idea, what could trigger those instant crashes with the BIOS F11? I've updated Clover to the latest stable build.

Best Regards
Daniel

Hello there.

Please update your Profile to show your hardware etc, this will make it easy for other members to offer help. It's also a part of the Rules above etc. :thumbup:

Okay. Your motherboard should not have any problems running on the Z370, however as you know there are BIOS upgrades needed for compatibility with 9th gen. I see the latest for your motherboard is now F14.

1) If you have an SSD fully installed and just want to transfer it to the new set-up then the easiest way to do this is to boot the new system using the High Sierra UniBeast installer flash-drive you made initially. This bypasses the EFI folder on your old SSD and will allow you to then modify that as needed, adding back the features.

2) A good idea is not to be connected to the Internet just yet to avoid the system logging on to Apple etc.

3) We can't see what GPU you are using so there may be black-screen problems or non-accelerated flickering. This can be sorted later.

:)

Thanks for the fast reply!

Update 1:

I got it the F13 to work now with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091/

Update 2: F14 is bootable as well, the APCI patch did the Job, although graphics card isnt working properly at first.

But it still shuts down immediately after 30 seconds, when I'm in the OS. The Computer just turns off, without any warning. Screen goes black and the only thing i hear is the clicking of the power supply and thats it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply!

Update 1:

I got it the F13 to work now with this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091/

Update 2: F14 is bootable as well, the APCI patch did the Job, although graphics card isnt working properly at first.

But it still shuts down immediately after 30 seconds, when I'm in the OS. The Computer just turns off, without any warning

Okay...

But is the shutdown macOS related, or the motherboard BIOS ?

Are you able to run Windows or Linux on this setup at all?

Generally, these type of problems can be triggered by overclocks or memory settings...

Okay...

But is the shutdown macOS related, or the motherboard BIOS ?

Are you able to run Windows or Linux on this setup at all?

Generally, these type of problems can be triggered by overclocks or memory settings...

Windows is running smoothly, no problems at all.

CPU is not overclocked. I've tried with memory XMP Profile 1, I can try to set it to default, but I think I've tested that before... let me check! Seems MacOS related after all

EDIT: yep, still same problems with default memory frequency

Last edited:
Windows is running smoothly, no problems at all.

CPU is not overclocked. I've tried with memory XMP Profile 1, I can try to set it to default, but I think I've tested that before... let me check! Seems MacOS related after all

EDIT: yep, still same problems with default memory frequency

Okay ...

Which System Definition are you using?

I've used the IMac 18,3 - 8700k (thought it was closest to what I have) :)

Edit: My mistake. Not your CPU. Clearly I need glasses! You could though try "iMac19,2" which is similar given the newness of the CPU model.

Maybe the "iMac19,1" system-definition is worth checking out for stability?

It features your CPU - though no definition has your GPU/CPU mix.

Be careful though and perhaps experiment while disconnected from the Internet. A new SysDef creates a new serial-number and you don't want Apple getting touchy about it. If the system is more stable then you can always transfer your old serial numbers, UUIDs etc into the new set up. If not, no loss, just revert.

** Good idea to do a backup first though **

Last edited:
ah sorry, I've wrote down the wrong one. Actually the 19,2 was the one I've tried. Unfortunately, still crashing :/
It's really strange, it boots perfectly but shuts down completly after a few seconds once I'm logged into MacOS.

Last edited:
Hm I don't really get it. Tried many different EFI, various Clover Versions, some different SMBIOS... I get into the system, but 10 seconds after i login successfully it just turns off. No error, nothing, it just reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back