Contribute
Register

Crash/Dies after 1 hour without CPUS=1 on 4930K + GA x79 UP4 + 10.10.3

Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
3
Motherboard
GA X79 UP4
CPU
Core i7 4930k
Graphics
GeForce GTX 760
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Would appreciate some advise. Posted an earlier question to the forum regarding some oddities on my build. Pretty nice system. i7 4930k on a GA X79 UP4 board running 10.10.3. Had it running nicely (18K on the benchmark), fluid, everything functioned except audio which i THOUGHT caused the issue.

Long story short - system would die/crash after about an hour. OS ran fine - but internet would drop out and one by one all applications would spin to a halt. I could force quit them and restart, but all functions (open, save, etc) would result in a pinwheel.

So I started over from scratch. Seemed to be running fine and it started doing the same thing. Followed a few build threads to the "t" and everything was vanilla. I suspected audio kext caused the issue (using ALC 892 from MB 6.5.1) but seems to be unrelated.

I rebooted today using CPUS=1 and so far, seems to be running stable. Slower...but stable. Any suggestions? I used the "VoodooTSCSync 6 Core" option in MB...but seems to be causing an issue. Again. Its really hard to explain...but its like everything becomes non-responsive other than the OS...which is really odd. You'd expect the other way around or nothing at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
3
Motherboard
GA X79 UP4
CPU
Core i7 4930k
Graphics
GeForce GTX 760
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
------- (UPDATE) SOLVED!!!!! :headbang: --------


For anyone that happens to check out this thread with similar problems. After a few weeks of troubleshooting and forced restarts every hour or so, I finally isolated the issue. Network driver was the culprit. The AppleIntellE1000e v 2.5.4d was recommended for this setup using MB 7.3.0 (though I considered using "AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a" or "AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0a") that was in fact the issue.

System would run like a champ for approximately an hour - would then lose internet connection, and applications (even those not dependent on internet) would get sluggish, crash, etc forcing a restart. I suspected it could also have been power management or a conflict between setup and multiple cores.

In any event. I checked logs and realized that it was dropping the DNS after about an hour and that this coincided with the computer taking a crap. I tried different DNS's (including local ISP, Google, etc to no avail). So I opted to test something. I purchased a Startech USB Network adapter USB31000SPTB and updated the driver to the most recent MacOS (10.10) and it works like a champ!

No more crashes. No more lags. Been up for approximately 4 days without error. It also cleaned up remoting issues I was having as well.

So. Though the above mentioned driver seems to be the network driver of choice (at least for 10.10.3) it did NOT work for me. Perhaps the newer drivers would have (and I plan on testing them) but I know it was not working with mine.

Hope that documenting my issues might help someone else.
 
Last edited:
Top