Contribute
Register

Crafting a Hack Mini from iMac G4 Case: Work Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about that, but then I realized that most ATX compliant motherboards have their memory sticks parallel to the IO plate, which is perpendicular to the DVD drive :(

Hi,
You have probably seen this video before, but thought I'd post it just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvwKknySr4k

It shows a Mini-ITX and Pico PSU being fitted into the iMac G4 base. Though it is an Atom based board in the video, it has regular RAM slots and gives a good idea on how your stuff could fit. Looks definitely do-able if you are ditching the display to make a Mini-type PC as I guess stripping out a few of those bits and pieces will leave you a little more room for ventilation etc.

Thanks for the video mini. I was also thinking about atom boards as I am really building this thing on the cheap end. I would want it to have dual core 64 bit with ion graphics, possibly the atom 330 board. I already ripped out the existing back panel, sparing the power switch, so I wont be able to to it the way he did :cry:

I was hoping I could get moderately good ventilation in this thing as you said, and I want for this to conform as much as possible to the original thermodynamics of the G4. I am wanting something with low TDP and supported GPU, which I cant get in the sandy bridge lineup, as all 35W CPU's are all stuck with the HD 2000 . . .

Hi,
It is possible to install with Atom boards, but I believe there is no active support for that on these forums.
Personally (if it were me doing this mod - and mod.s are about as personal as you can get so feel free to ignore!) I think I'd go down the route of the Intel board in Neilharts thread (the one you were originally going for) and using the i3 that has HD3000. Either that or the board that was used in this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=42147 That board though looks great but i don't think is available in europe and certainly not cheap.
Cheapest of all would be an Atom based board running an older version of OSX. Zotac made (and still do make) some pretty nice mini-ITX boards too that the integrated graphics will run OSX. The old LGA 775 board in my Cube mod still does a great job.
Anyway, whatever you choose in the end be sure to carry on posting.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice bro, that ECX board was nice, but then I looked at the price tag and turned away ($280!!) Suppose it is down to a dual core atom board or a sandy bridge mini itx board with the i3 2105. I'll get together my prospects and see which will be best.

Great idea! I'll follow this thread, I want to mod my 15" G4 too. The first step will be to tear it down and see what could fit in... How is it going by your side?

Havent had the time to get working on it. I'm making a hackintosh for my brother then I need to get some dough b4 I can really get cracking. However, I have figured out that the largest mobo that'll fit is a mini itx. Also, if you want a DVD drive, you will need the half height itx mobo as mentioned earlier. Other than that it all fits together quite well for a hackintosh!

It's already great that at least a Mini ITX will fit in this thing, as it's REALLY tight! My biggest fear is for the screen/mobo connecting though... I hope I won't have to do some rewiring, I'm not good at that. :silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back