Contribute
Register

Crafting a Hack Mini from iMac G4 Case: Work Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
After getting bored with the mindnumbingly slow speed of my iMac G4 15, I figured I'd try to make a hackintosh out of it, but I didnt want to salvage the display, as the 1024x768 resolution is extremely outdated, so i thought I could make a mini out of it. Yesterday I hacked away at it, and managed to disassemble it all the way down to the display joint, and removed that, leaving the computer part intact.

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

I want the rear I/O panel to be as flush with the case as possible, so I thought of using a DH61ag Mini-ITX motherboard, that also has a half height back panel. Neilhart has already used such a motherboard in his cube mod, but he said he has been having issues with sleep, so I might hold off 'til gigabyte introduces a half height mini-itx, as gigabyte is very compatible with Mac OS.

DH61AG-lg.jpg

I'll also not be including a DVD drive, as I wouldnt be able to close back up the case, hook in a pico psu, and probably replace the original fan with an LED fan, and probably some cold cathodes inside, to make this thing pimp :thumbup:

Edit: No need for pico psu, there is an external power supply on the motherboard

I would love to, but I REALLY splurged on my macbook air and hackintosh so i gotta do this on the cheap. I might at some time put in an msata drive, but for now the hdd cage included with the g4 and a spare 500 gig i have lying around.

Going with i3 2105. I want something cheap and with a low tdp. Not much room to cool a high tdp processor in this thing. Also, I need the HD 3000 vs HD 2000 integrated graphics.

I think that the stock cooler should suffice for me. I was thinking of using a low profile so i could squeeze in a dvd drive but decided against it cuz the ram sticks are too tall to permit a DVD drive in the first place. I am still wanting to use the dvd door for something though and I don't know what yet. I could maybe make a customized cooler that taps into the old cooling system the G4 used, which was the metal case inside of the plastic overcoat.

The ram sticks are virtually flat on this board. They lie horizontal and do not stick up vertically like normal ram. If you could find a cooler that will allow a dvd drive to be fitted the ram is definitely not going to get in the way.

Yea I know, but I forgot to say that I am considering the H67-USB3 by gigabyte for something more compatible without posting about it, sorry.

Oh right. Ha, then yes you are correct. Would it be possible to have the board so the ram slots were parallel to the dvd drive, and use extensions to rear panel? I obviously don't have the case or mobo in front of me and that may be totally impracticable and never would fit. But just an idea. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back