Intel i5 6600k Skylake
Graphics
-
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi !

I did some research on the forum but all I found was about popping or no sound at all. So here I am, looking for some help !

Ok, I recently built my Sierra hackintosh (I got the hardware on this thursday) with a Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Wifi. I followed every step of the guide and everything works fine EXCEPTS the sound.
Actually, I am a sound engineer so I work with an external audio device, which happen to be an Antelope Orion 32 (for those who might know). It's a 2000$ AD/DA converter and it's working fine and dandy on my laptop (Macbook pro early '11 Yosemite).

And sound is ALMOST working: I can find it in the Audio MIDI Setup, I can find it in ProTools, I get the sound etc the only thing is I get crackles. Kinda like digital artifacts, it sounds like the noise of a CPU or RAM or something inside, but I can now hear it through my speakers. (speakers are connected to my mixing desk which is connected to my audio converter and everyone works fine).
Interesting thing, by the way: the more work I do (audio plugins, audio clips trimming etc), the louder the sound gets. Well not really louder but... more "substantial".
As you might guess, It's a real problem to me and it's driving me nuts, I tried all my USB ports, other converters from other brands, several converters in agregate peripherals, different sample rates, clocking sources etc and the "popping solution" too (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stop-the-popping-in-sierra.202355/#post-1328945). In multibeast I put the ALC1150, I tried with 100 series too. I also tried to install voodooHPA but yet nothing has worked.

Could someone please help me with that ? This is a very low noise we are talking about, but it's polluting my work and remains very annoying !

(PS: Please let me know if something isn't clear, my english is a little rusty !)

Cheers !

(PPS: It's also my first build and I clearly am a newbie here so please don't judge me !)

EDIT: The noise gets actually pretty heavy when I'm running Pro Tools or any other audio app (iTunes etc)

EDIT 2 : Turns out it was an electrical problem. Out of spite, I tried bizarre things and after some research, I figured this is an USB earthing problem. If you have a normal electrical installation (at home), I don't know if it's inherent to to GA-Z170n-Wifi but CPU and mobo parasites can make their way out by USB ports. So if you have the same problem as me, you can try buying an USB isolator (~ 100$) or connecting the PC on a different power plug (another room) than the rest of the gear (speakers, DAC etc). All of my gear is plugged into a Furman (professional power conditioner, cleaner etc) so I never suspected that. Now that I solved this, a few parasites still remain but if I check their level, it's really neglectable (under -70dB).
Sorry for bothering, I hope this will still help other people. Cheers !

Last edited:
Im quoting this! Same problem on my EL CAPITAN hackitnosh!
I listen little popps from the speakers when i close/open apps or just do something that is something annoying
How to fix :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back