i7-7700K - 5Ghz
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm experimenting with OC.

I'm confused about the use of CPUFriend and CPUFriendFriend.
the file CPUFriendDataProvider.kext generated with CPUFriendFriend is always the same, it doesn't seem to contain relevant data.
It is not clear to me what to do with the files, for example Mac-xxxxx.plist is use to build CPUFriendDataProvider.kext but is there any further need for it?

Anonymous EFI folder as per your request
I think I was lucky, I used PastryChefs instructions and files (Attached as well)
Meanwhile, you can read this :
And this :)

Attachments

• AnonymousEFI.zip
    60.5 MB · Views: 278
  • EFI OpenCore 0.5.7 Z370G (Catalina).zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 195
Thanks for sharing your EFI-Folder.

Fist of al I must say sorry for the wrong way I asked for your EFI-Folder, not intentionally!

My system is running smooth now, I only have to do a few things to fine tune OC.
Your EFI folder is going to help me out with this.

I use my SSDT-USB file I created for Clover and it seems to work but I have not yet read the guideline for USB on OC.
That is something I will do over from scratch.

I see that your hardware is similar to mine, so I wonder why you have so much kext-files and Drivers installed?

VegaTab_65.kext is no longer needed, don't know if it is since Mojave or an update of HighSierra but the system is controlling the fans just fine out of the box.

I think you don't need:
- NoTouchID.kext
- SMCBatteryManger.kext
- SMCLightSensor.kext
- RealtekRTL8111.kext
- VegaTab_64.kext

- ApfsDriverLoader.efi
- there are a few more xx.efi drivers I think you don't need (Fat.efi, NTFS.efi, XhciDxe.efi) but I'm not sure about them.

I share my current EFI folder (it still needs some fine tuning).
I think you can boot from my EFI folder, you just have to add your serial number.
SSDT-USB-FormBack2FrontNo2.aml: all my 3.0 usb connections on the back of the case are 3.0 and 2 of them also 2.0 but the 3.0 on the front have no usb 2.0, I have also 2 usb 2.0 on the front panel and that is enough for me.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.9 MB · Views: 306
I'm experimenting with OC.

I'm confused about the use of CPUFriend and CPUFriendFriend.
the file CPUFriendDataProvider.kext generated with CPUFriendFriend is always the same, it doesn't seem to contain relevant data.
It is not clear to me what to do with the files, for example Mac-xxxxx.plist is use to build CPUFriendDataProvider.kext but is there any further need for it?
Did you ever get an answer to this? I have the same question.

No, never received an answer.
I installed CPUFriend.kext without any other file. It is better than without CPUFriend.kext so I kept it in my kext folder.
But never understood the generation and use of the CPUFriendDataProvider.kext file.
My system is running fine so I didn't bother to investigate further.

This page may help shed some light on the use of CPUFriend.kext - https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend/blob/master/Instructions.md

This extract from the page tells you what the kext does, or most probably doesn't do.
  • Function configResourceCallback() from ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin or X86PlatformPlugin is hooked so as to handle customized CPU power management data from user.
  • If nothing is provided, CPUFriend does nothing and the original data is to be used as if this kext is not installed.
I don't use the kext, so have no experience nor can I offer any practical help using the kext.

The question I would ask is why would you use a kext when you don't know what it does, or what other information it requires to do what it is designed to do?

I'm also wondering about the usage.
I've been trying to fix issues with sleep on my machine, and CPUFriend seems like a likely first step.

However I can't tell if it's working, is there a way to check??

Using CPUFriendFriend, it always tells me that
Code:
Current Setting:    00 (000 MHz)
but idk if that's just the script default state, of if that's my computer's default state.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

btw, @silvercircle, using the kext without a data provider file doesn't do anything, so you might as well remove it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back