Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm considering a processor upgrade. At a minimum I'll buy an Intel Core i5 3750K, or I may go for a Xeon E3-1230. Obviously the Xeon is a more radical jump, but it is slightly less expensive. Some people have described the E3-1230 as an i7 without on-chip video, which I find attractive if true since I'd prefer to ramp up graphics performance with a new Nvidia card.

Here's my question: Has anyone done a "live" CPU upgrade without re-installing OS X? My hack is running so smoothly that I'd prefer to switch chips without re-installing.

I am fascinated to see the answer to this as well. I can not offer any specific information, but I wait to see what others will say.

What I assume will be said is something similar to "as long as it compatible all you should have to do is instal the new hardware, boot into your system using your USB installer, and run a new version of multicast for any changes for your CPU." Now this could all go horribly wrong, and cause kernel panics, but again makes sense that it should work.

I'm considering a processor upgrade. At a minimum I'll buy an Intel Core i5 3750K, or I may go for a Xeon E3-1230. Obviously the Xeon is a more radical jump, but it is slightly less expensive. Some people have described the E3-1230 as an i7 without on-chip video, which I find attractive if true since I'd prefer to ramp up graphics performance with a new Nvidia card.

Here's my question: Has anyone done a "live" CPU upgrade without re-installing OS X? My hack is running so smoothly that I'd prefer to switch chips without re-installing.

I upgraded from first gen i5 to third gen i5, and replaced both mobo and cpu and had no issue. On everyone case may be different. You never know till you try!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back