Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> CPU Upgrade iMac 2011???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Apple > Need model and year > See Forum Rules!
CPU
M2 Pro
Graphics
M2
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Pre-Question:
(I doesn't understand a lot about CPUs that fit, I know what is it and every part in a PC, but really don't understand too much, so maybe you can clarify me something about it, and sorry for any errors that I'm going to made).

Question:
Hi, I bought a new iMac 2011 27" (I think the mid one... Because I'm not sure about it, but there's no early or late in 2011, but I'm only 97% sure... Anyway) I was think about getting a CPU upgrade, but I read that the only cpu that fit are the 2th gen?
(i5-3400S and i7-2600, but there's also the 2600k, and the 2600s, really confused about all those cpu).
But it's really confusing on other blogs, because sometimes there old forums and sometimes you read yes othertime no...
They're contrasting... So maybe you can help me.

In the end it's really like that... ? Because it would be a pity...
I was thinking about like getting a more recent one...

Let me know if there's a possible solution and also the things correlated to them like (CPU name, or like you have to do this or that, etc)

I've read also about you can do something with EFi/BiOS, is that true?
Anyway, thanks in advance.

Additional Info:
(Some are missing because I don't have already the iMac with me, it's on delivering)
iMac 27" 2011
i5-???? 2,7Ghz

can't I get like i7-7700k of example?)
It won't fit in the Socket of the iMac which has 1155 pins. No way to make it work.
Pin Numbers and Arrangements
Sockets differ in the number of CPU pins that they can hold. Modern CPU chips transfer 32 or 64 bits of data billions of times per second to the computer's memory, graphics system, storage and other systems, requiring hundreds or thousands of physical connections to support the transfers. As such, if you have an 1155-pin processor, you need an 1155-pin socket. In most cases, you cannot plug a CPU chip with fewer pins into a socket with more pins since the pins that the CPU does have will not line up with either the physical socket or with its internal wiring.

Last edited:
It won't fit in the Socket 1155 of the iMac. No way to make it work.
Oh, so this resolve my question, so what is the strongest CPU that I can get, like i7 are more powerful than i5, or is more important the GHz of those?

I'm going to use principally Logic, or other programs for Music production purpose.

A few moments with Google should furnish you with the answer :

For example :

The best you can go up with is a 3.4 GHz Core i7 (I7-2600).

I'm going to use principally Logic, or other programs for Music production purpose.
Upgrade it to the i7-2600 and the largest 2.5" Sata SSD you can affford. Should work well for Music production after that. It may be best to pay a Mac Repair shop to do the upgrades for you. It's a long and difficult process to even get to the CPU socket in the 2011 iMac. It's super easy to damage it or even worse, shock yourself when removing the PSU or even just working in that area.

Last edited:
A few moments with Google should furnish you with the answer.
I've heard of this. You type in a question and get an instant answer from a giant Google server. Why people choose to ask us fallible human beings with limited knowledge instead, I'll never know ? ;)

Last edited:
Because maybe fallible human beings can only have "little" knowledge, but Google has only a lot of information :p
Thanks for the help again.
I wish you a good day :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back