Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

now my Hackintosh is running on 10.6.6 but if I
click "about this mac" it says "2 GHz Intel core i5".
I have an Intel i5, but the 750 with 2,67 Ghz not 2,0. :problem:

any suggestions??

thank you
peter

yeah i've got that same problem
my cpu is somehow underclocked (i have i5-750 which should be @ 2.66)

i am not sure but i felt that it was caused by the bios update which i did (from f7 to f10 on p55m-ud2)

and this is not just a wrong information in mac os, i can confirm that my cpu is running at 2 Ghz
when i run the cpu tests in cinebench 11.5 i get 2.6 points for my cpu which used to get 3.6 points

and also when i switch back to the windows hard drive, and run cpu z it shows 1.2ghz when nothing is happening and when i run some heavy work it comes up to 2.00 GHz not 2.66 and the cinebench mark is 2.6 in windows now

going to bios my multiplier is set to 15 which takes you to 2Ghz when i manually set it to
21 or 20 it does come back up to 2.8Ghz and 2.66 and my cinebench mark comes back to 3.6 but when i set it there manually it will stay at 2.6 forever and never come down to 1.2 ghz in idle which what i want

i' ll play with the bios to see what happens, i want to be back at 2.66 and have the cpu go down to 1.2Ghz in idle

And I gave up this hackintosh thing... Back to fedora (not just for this cpu issue becuz of so much pain and never actually getting everything to work fine, it is just so much simpler to buy a real mac )

peter717 - Check your BIOS settings. Normal multiplier for the i5 750 is 20.

kia.sd - The multiplier being set to 15 in the BIOS is the result of something the user did (or did not do). In your case you are probably right when you suspect that it was the result of the BIOS update. After updating your BIOS did you load the optimized defaults? This effectively clears the previous BIOS settings (some of which may be read incorrectly by the new BIOS). From there you should reset everything to what you want.

One final question/statement - Why are you fixated on what the idle frequency is? You do realize that no "real" computing is being done when the computer is at idle. Whether or not this happens at 2.67 or 1.2 is irrelevant. If the processor is not being utilized it will draw less power.

RTK said:
One final question/statement - Why are you fixated on what the idle frequency is? You do realize that no "real" computing is being done when the computer is at idle. Whether or not this happens at 2.67 or 1.2 is irrelevant. If the processor is not being utilized it will draw less power.

yeah that kinda make sense, i didn't know that. i thought that it would draw a lot of power with higher frequency. the reason i cared is because i've got lots of machines connected to one outlet, and most of them are usually idle, so i thought frequency matters

and on the bios thing, yes i did run the optimize defaults lots of times and even update to f11 (and the macos hard drive is been disconnected for more than 2 days now, so it has nothing to do with mac)

it is funny what happens with this multiplier thing

when i set the defaults, the multiplier gets set to 15 and the cpu switches between 1.2 2.0 ghz

when i set the multiplier to 20 cpu freq is constant
i even tried disconnecting power and take out mobo battery but no change

i was gonna go back to f7 bios to see if i gets back to normal but now that u said:
"if doesn't perform it doesn't draw" i am thinking of overclocking it :)

btw is there a way to actually measure the number of watts being drawn... like something i can buy off newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back