CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
first off thanks for the guides tony :) i have 10.6.2 running quite nicely on my Core i5 desktop.

but i think i have an issue with CPU power saving. i have added Speedstep into my DSDT for the i5 and is functioning as indicated by MSR Tools below, but my CPU speed is constantly 100% when idle, or 105% with Turbo Boost enabled. i have seen a few screenies of MSR Tools for i5/i7s on the blog and InsanelyMac that show downclocked speeds when idle? i am thinking my core temps of ~45C is a little high for a Noctua U12P so hopefully i can get it cooler :think:.

i have tried setting all the advanced CPU BIOS settings to Enabled from Auto, but no dice.

EDIT: downclock power saving example http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... ative.html Andyroo's second post

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 4.18.25 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-09 at 4.18.25 AM.png
    80 KB · Views: 445
here is what i am getting with CPU-Z in Win7. why is my CPU not downclocking while idle in OS X. is it a BIOS setting or DSDT issue? i get 5C cooler here.

Attachments

• cpu-z.png
    cpu-z.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 527
You removed NullCPUPowerManagement, right ?

Same situation here.

iStat says my temp is between 45 & 55 when I'm idle.

Speed step info in DSDT is correct.

BIOS settings are correct

Standard fan though. Noctua ready to go but as system is 1 month old was going to run it in first before over clocking it.

Anyone else other than myself and the thread starter experiencing high temps ?

the only kexts i have in /Extra are fakesmc and LegacyHDA with Asere 1.1.8 boot. only DSDT edits are speedstep and audio for the 889a.

Noctua heatsinks are great btw, they arent the best heatsinks, but include an awesome, quiet fan.

Been meaning to actually put it on. Ahh well should get to that soon.

I guess before I do that I should work on getting rid of PaltformUUiD and EvoREboot.

Haven't managed to get around to that yet.

I have read the process involved for PlatformUUID on Tonys blog.

What's evo about?

rich said:
the only kexts i have in /Extra are fakesmc and LegacyHDA with Asere 1.1.8 boot. only DSDT edits are speedstep and audio for the 889a.

Noctua heatsinks are great btw, they arent the best heatsinks, but include an awesome, quiet fan.

Double check in S/L/E too because if you use kext helper to install kexts, I found that it places them there.

I only use kext helper to install kexts that need to be in /Sys/Lib/Ext.

For example LegacyHDA I just dropped in /Extra/Extensions and then dropped HDAEnabler onto kext helper. Then used Kext Utility on both folders. Then use disk utility to Repair Disk Permissions on SL partition

Musicalchairs said:
I only use kext helper to install kexts that need to be in /Sys/Lib/Ext.

For example LegacyHDA I just dropped in /Extra/Extensions and then dropped HDAEnabler onto kext helper. Then used Kext Utility on both folders. Then use disk utility to Repair Disk Permissions on SL partition

Fine but you 're circling around saying "No, I double-checked and nullcpupowermanagement is not my S/L/E folder". Don't take it the wrong way, just trying to help and that's hard to do remotely. Trying to eliminate the obvious first...

Sorry mate, should have just stated i didnt have it in my /S/L/E folder.

It ain't there.

There are only 2 that I can see CPU RELATED kexts in /S/L/E

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

UPDATE
Just followed Tony's instructions and added KEY/STRING for UUID in com.apple.boot.plist while running Chameleon 2.0 RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.8.
Now have removed PlatformUUID.kext & EvoReboot from /EXTRA/EXTENSIONS folder

Here is what MSR Tools and iStat tell me while in 32bit mode (arch=i386 flag at boot)
(Keep in mind speed step as been applied to DSDT as per Tony's blog.

Thanks for your help mate, never meant to waist your time

Attachments

• MSR Tools (32bit Mode).png
    MSR Tools (32bit Mode).png
    83.4 KB · Views: 441
  • iStat (32bit Mode).png
    iStat (32bit Mode).png
    52.3 KB · Views: 415
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back