Contribute
Register

CPU power connection. Do I plug in both or one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
2 X Gigabyte GTX 4GB 760s
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My first time building from scratch and have a question. I have the GA-Z87X-OC mobo. I have the 24 pin in and then at the top I have a 4 pin cpu connector and to the right an 8 pin cpu connector. Do I need to plug in both or just one. If one which one should I use? Thanks for any help!

My first time building from scratch and have a question. I have the GA-Z87X-OC mobo. I have the 24 pin in and then at the top I have a 4 pin cpu connector and to the right an 8 pin cpu connector. Do I need to plug in both or just one. If one which one should I use? Thanks for any help!
If your psu supplies an 8pin, definitely use the 8 pin. But no need to use another 4pin. I've never seen a Mobo like that, but if they truly are both cpu power headers, 8 pin would provide plenty of power. Even just one 4 pin connecter would suffice.

Thanks Aaron. Confusing because my power supply came with two 4x4 cpu power connectors and the manual is pretty vague. Probably for people running dual CPUs. The motherboard also has a 6 pin OC peg power connector on the board which the manual recommends plugging into this when you're running 2 or more cards for stability. This is important since I plan on running an SLI setup. I thought that's what the power connections on the graphic card were for, but I guess I'm wrong. Can I use a regular 6X2 PCI-e connector to plug into it? Other than that I'm all hooked up pretty much. RAM, H100i, and IC7 show up tomorrow. 4770k, SSD, and gtx760 should be here thursday or friday. Good times!

Thanks Aaron. Confusing because my power supply came with two 4x4 cpu power connectors and the manual is pretty vague. Probably for people running dual CPUs. The motherboard also has a 6 pin OC peg power connector on the board which the manual recommends plugging into this when you're running 2 or more cards for stability. This is important since I plan on running an SLI setup. I thought that's what the power connections on the graphic card were for, but I guess I'm wrong. Can I use a regular 6X2 PCI-e connector to plug into it? Other than that I'm all hooked up pretty much. RAM, H100i, and IC7 show up tomorrow. 4770k, SSD, and gtx760 should be here thursday or friday. Good times!
No problem. That is confusing, normally boards have one 8 pin connecter which will accept either one 4 pin or one 8 pin depending on what your psu supplies. Yeah my board has a similar connector for SLI setups, which surprisingly is delivered through a SATA power connector. You are absolutely correct about the extra power connections for the gpu. However, what your missing is the fact the motherboard also delivers 75 watts of power through the PCIe slot. This is why some low end cards dont need any external power connectors at all. The power is taken from the 24pin motherboard connector and delivered to the card through the PCIe slot. The 6 pin power connecter on your Mobo is just there to prevent to much voltage drop across that 24pin connector if its trying to supply 75 watts to several cards. Make sense? And keep in mind SLI doesn't work on OSX, but I assume you'll be using your SLI setup for mostly windows gaming.

And to answer your question, yes you can just use that connector from your psu. But if your planning on running multiple cards, I doubt your PSU supplies more then a few PCIe power connectors. Since that 6 pin power connector on your Mobo isnt completely necessary. What I would do is just buy a cheap Molex to PCIe power adapter and use that to plug into your board (often times these are bundled with new gpu's).

Correct I am using the graphic cards for windows gaming. I figure one 760 should handle anything I do on OSX. I saw newegg is selling 7990s for $530, but I was unable to find any working systems using anything above the 7970 so I figured I'd just stick to the 760 sli plan. Nothing else out really gives you the bang for the buck like those. I'm half tempted to hold out and see what support mavericks will bring especially since reading the news about Apple bringing full OpenCL support. That and the new AMD cards supposedly come out in October.

Thanks for clearing up the OC-peg question. Good idea on the molex. Hopefully whatever card I go with will include one.

Correct I am using the graphic cards for windows gaming. I figure one 760 should handle anything I do on OSX. I saw newegg is selling 7990s for $530, but I was unable to find any working systems using anything above the 7970 so I figured I'd just stick to the 760 sli plan. Nothing else out really gives you the bang for the buck like those. I'm half tempted to hold out and see what support mavericks will bring especially since reading the news about Apple bringing full OpenCL support. That and the new AMD cards supposedly come out in October.

Thanks for clearing up the OC-peg question. Good idea on the molex. Hopefully whatever card I go with will include one.
Yeah, well that sounds like a good route you took. The Radeon 7xxx series compatibility is sketchy at best right now. Plus you already bought the parts, so I think its to late to change your mind, but you did well.

glad to be of help. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back