Graphics
Asus EN210 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently built a Hackintosh with 10.6.8, I have Pro Tools 9 Installed on it. I am currently in the process of recording the drum tracks for my band in Pro Tools, but I keep getting CPU overload messages from Pro Tools. The session is not very big, just a few audio tracks and a few plug-ins. When I look in activity monitor the CPU usage of Pro Tools is around 20%, but then randomly the CPU usage of pro tools spikes up to around 120% and it stops recording. Nothing changes in the Pro Tools session to set it off that I know of. I have tried many different settings in Pro Tools to remedy it, how other people suggest, but It hasn't changed anything. It is really frustrating! I'm not sure if it is Pro Tools, Computer or Firewire card? I have heard that TI Firewire cards are better for Pro Tools, I think mine is a VIA Chip. Could that be a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hardware:
Asus P8H61-MLE motherboard
Intel Core i3 2100 CPU
6GB Kingston RAM
80GB system HDD
160GB Data HDD

I recently built a Hackintosh with 10.6.8, I have Pro Tools 9 Installed on it. I am currently in the process of recording the drum tracks for my band in Pro Tools, but I keep getting CPU overload messages from Pro Tools. The session is not very big, just a few audio tracks and a few plug-ins. When I look in activity monitor the CPU usage of Pro Tools is around 20%, but then randomly the CPU usage of pro tools spikes up to around 120% and it stops recording. Nothing changes in the Pro Tools session to set it off that I know of. I have tried many different settings in Pro Tools to remedy it, how other people suggest, but It hasn't changed anything. It is really frustrating! I'm not sure if it is Pro Tools, Computer or Firewire card? I have heard that TI Firewire cards are better for Pro Tools, I think mine is a VIA Chip. Could that be a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 2100 CPU
6GB Kingston RAM
80GB system HDD
160GB Data HDD

badphlegm

I think you may have better luck w posting this over in the Audio section where we see more Pro Tool Users than in this FORUM.

As to the VIA - I always say - wouldnt wanna be ya... Not my favorite company for silicon - I avoided their chipsets like the plague. So if you have another card w a different chipset or borrow one - suggest you try them.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 2100 CPU
6GB Kingston RAM
80GB system HDD
160GB Data HDD

Have you searched Google? Your problem is probably a known issue with Avid.

I have googled it, it is quite a common problem, but all the remedies that other people use, don't work for me? I just done a test using a USB M-Audio Fast Track Pro, instead of my mates firewire Presonus FP10, I didn't get any errors with that. So that could maybe mean that it is the Firewire card? I doubt that it is the Presonus FP10, because the person I am borrowing it off hasn't mentioned any problems with it. Also when I am using the FP10 for playing audio with iTunes, the same sound that it makes when I get a CPU overload message in Pro Tools randonly sounds, so to me that says that it isn't Pro Tools. So I have bitten the bullet and bought a Texas Instruments firewire card, hopefully that will solve the problem. Other than this, I am loving my Hackintosh!

I got a new firewire card, it has fixed the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back