2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hi.

been a while, but i'm here with an issue again.

So, over the past few days i have been attempting to render out an effect for a video using After Effects. This composition is very intensive, and i have most of my memory going to AE when i render... out of 32GB, i am leaving the recommended 8GB for other uses.

Like i said the comp is very intensive and scale wise it is around 5K, and so i have dumped it down to 1080P (reluctantly) and done all i could to make the render faster on my end, using pre-renders and the like. yet still my Hack overheats... seriously overheats... well over 90c.

Even with a cooling system, the Corsair H60, it just doesn't cool the cpu down enough, even with 2 other working fans. I haven't tried to change the thermal paste, as the only time i ever apply a fresh coat was upon the initial build back in 2014. i see that was 3 years ago, but the Hack's been ok until recently for games, web, and smaller video projects. This computer has also gone nearly unused for almost a year because my former job actually made me averse to coming home and turning on my computer for anything. The hardware is a bit... vintage... by now, and i am still running Yosemite 10.10.5, because i don't really feel the need to update my OS unless there is some real reason to do so.

here's some vitals:
MB: Asus Sabertooth x79
GFX: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 780
CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz)
PWR: CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W 80 PLUS

Any thoughts? any help would be appreciated.

Check your cooling. Liquid in the pump? Fans turning? Cooler tight on the CPU? I rendered 8000 raw photo's in Lightroom this weekend, with nearly 100% usage of all cores for at least 2 hours. Max temp was 75 celsius on my overclocked 6700k(with proper air cooling. The fans on my Noctua ran at high speed intermittently)

Check your cooling. Liquid in the pump? Fans turning? Cooler tight on the CPU?

I did actually check my Corsair H60 cooler yesterday, and it's fine. The Corsair H60claims to be a closed system, and doesn't need to be filled up. I am skeptical though, because i stick my hand near the radiator on it, and i only feel a slightly cool breeze.

all fans are spinning... the cab is open and all other points of ventilation are open. it still overheats, even when i just have my camera on for skype/google calls. Maybe the BIOS settings are effed? maybe i overclocked it too much? is that possible? i will post more vitals in a bit.

just noticed that you have a 67k i7. i think my CPU is only a 47k ... that's an issue that would effect the difference between our work outputs.

I did actually check my Corsair H60 cooler yesterday, and it's fine. The Corsair H60claims to be a closed system, and doesn't need to be filled up. I am skeptical though, because i stick my hand near the radiator on it, and i only feel a slightly cool breeze.

all fans are spinning... the cab is open and all other points of ventilation are open. it still overheats, even when i just have my camera on for skype/google calls. Maybe the BIOS settings are effed? maybe i overclocked it too much? is that possible? i will post more vitals in a bit.

The likely reason is that your cooler is not seated on the CPU correctly. A mount screw or pin might be loose or the whole thing might be skew due to being knocked or otherwise displaced. You also might have too little thermal grease or it's dried out or unevenly applied.

Bottom line is if the CPU is running hot and all you're getting is a cool breeze from your fans, that means the heat isn't getting from the CPU to the cooler. Try feeling around the head of the cooler where it is mounted to the CPU or the hoses immediately adjacent. If they're not at least quite warm to hot, then the heat isn't being transferred from the CPU.

The likely reason is that your cooler is not seated on the CPU correctly. A mount screw or pin might be loose or the whole thing might be skew due to being knocked or otherwise displaced. You also might have too little thermal grease or it's dried out or unevenly applied.

Bottom line is if the CPU is running hot and all you're getting is a cool breeze from your fans, that means the heat isn't getting from the CPU to the cooler. Try feeling around the head of the cooler where it is mounted to the CPU or the hoses immediately adjacent. If they're not at least quite warm to hot, then the heat isn't being transferred from the CPU.

Excellent. i shall do that now.

Yeah... i touched the tubes, and the unit, and neither was hot or even warm...

Yeah... i touched the tubes, and the unit, and neither was hot or even warm...

Time to re-seat your cooler. Also check that something (like a motherboard component) isn't obstructing the cooler head or the hoses and stopping it from being seated properly.

Time to re-seat your cooler. Also check that something (like a motherboard component) isn't obstructing the cooler head or the hoses and stopping it from being seated properly.

Wellllll.... i just cleaned/replaced the thermal paste, and re-seated the cooler. When i went to remove the cooler, i noticed that it was loose. which is odd, but i suppose this is normal to a point, what with all the heat expanding the pieces on the board.

The old thermal paste was like cement. it took me an hour to clean the CPU and the cooler.

But a new coat of thermal and a re-seat of the cooler seems to have mitigated the amount of heat on my board. which is good, because i was getting mainboard temp alarms and more stuff on top of the CPU alarms.

avg. temp of my CPU now seems to be around 48ºc.

Wellllll.... i just cleaned/replaced the thermal paste, and re-seated the cooler. When i went to remove the cooler, i noticed that it was loose. which is odd, but i suppose this is normal to a point, what with all the heat expanding the pieces on the board.

The old thermal paste was like cement. it took me an hour to clean the CPU and the cooler.

But a new coat of thermal and a re-seat of the cooler seems to have mitigated the amount of heat on my board. which is good, because i was getting mainboard temp alarms and more stuff on top of the CPU alarms.

avg. temp of my CPU now seems to be around 48ºc.

If the head is loose it's not going to make a proper connection with the CPU and heat won't get transferred. It should never be loose. It sounds like it let the air in an dried out the thermal grease. 48 deg sounds like fairly normal temps but you might want to check the mounting hardware to make sure it is installed correctly and not damaged, thermal expansion probably wasn't the reason for the looseness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back