CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I just started doing pretty heavy 3D renders with my first hackintosh and my CPU seems to be overheating and throttling when it's under such big loads. My HWMonitor graph looks like extreme peaks and valleys. I'm very new to hacks so I could be wrong but it seems to me like my fans aren't spinning up properly, especially compared to how they work when I'm gaming on Windows (never once had CPU issues on Windows). The fans only seem to kick in to high gear when the CPU temp hits about 70ºc+. Otherwiser they're spinning normally as far as I can tell. During my latest render today I got warnings from HWMonitor saying my CPU was overheating at a high of 86ºc so I stopped the render immediately. It may also be that my CPU fan isn't good enough? I'm using the Noctua NH-C14S.

This is my first hack so I'm sure I do not have anything installed properly (kexts, etc.) other than the operating system. Some of USB ports don't work, neither does WIFI, plus the standard iMessage and Preview issues. I'd really appreciate any sort guidance on how my make my machine run better. I need straightforward answers, links to guides and specific things I can fix as I've had a lot of trouble finding and let alone understanding possible solutions to my issues.

I used unibeast for post-installation.

I've attached my problem reporting files as instructed by this guide.

Using Mojave 10.14.6
Radeon RX 580 8 GB
3.6 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Thanks for your help
SnaccPacc

Attachments

• debug_8128.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 76
This is more likely to be a Case/fan thermal cooling setup issue than it is a macOS config issue. Having reviewed your Debug folder and written all the blurb below, I would change that and say it may be a case of both issues being relevant.
  1. Have you made any customisations to the thermal cooling in the Bios?
  2. Did you change the graph profile for your CPU or Case fans in any way?
  3. What other case fans do you use, if any?
  4. What case are you using?
  5. Are the cables routed throughout the case restricting air flow?
Having looked at your Debug folder contents I would recommend the following:
Some settings you might want to change or look into:
  • You might want to add the Trim Enable patch to your config.plist or use the Terminal command 'sudo trimforce enable'.
  • Your Intel Wireless is compatible with OpenIntelWireless, you may want to investigate the use of this kext and the Heliport app - https://openintelwireless.github.io/itlwm/#download
  • You have no SSDT's generated or included in your /CLOVER/ACPI folder for your system, usually a Coffee Lake system such as yours requires these SSDT's as a minimum:
    • SSDT-EC.aml (used to fake an EC device which macOS expects to see)
    • SSDT-USBX.aml (Configures USB power)
    • SSDT-PLUG.aml (CPU power management)
    • SSDT-PMC.aml (Provides NVRAM support on 300-series motherboards)
  • I have used your DSDT.aml to generate a few custom SSDT's using Corpnewt's SSDTTime Script.
    • These SSDT's and a few accompanying config.plist patches are attached below in the 'SnaccPacc SSDTTime Results' folder.
  • Your config.plist is bereft of any meaningful substance. I am actually surprised it boots.
    • It lacks a number of common ACPI fixes and Rename Patches.
    • It doesn't enable your CPU Power Management, which means your CPU will not be working as efficiently as it should. Could be part of the high/inefficient fan use.
    • It is not enabling your system to use a Headless framebuffer for your Intel iGPU, which any Apple system expects when a discrete GPU is present.
    • It is set to Scan > Legacy=First, when it is a UEFI compatible system, this option is not required.
    • You have set Inject Intel=true, when you are using WhateverGreen.kext which is not a good mix.
    • You don't have the RadeonDeInit=true option set for your RX580 dGPU, usually required with all RX500 Series cards.
    • You are using a SMBIOS for an iMac14,2 when your system is a near perfect match to an iMac19,1.
    • There are other minor settings in the config that can also be changed or added to better suit your system.
Hope some of this helps.

Attachments

• SnaccPacc SSDTTime Results.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 62
This is extremely helpful. Thanks a ton. I'm going to look over this and see what changes I can make but to answer your questions really quick:
1. I haven't made any customizations as far as I can remember/tell.
2. I did not change the graph profile as far as I can remember/tell.
3. For CPU cooling I'm using the Noctua but I also have the two fans that came installed in my case.
4. The case I'm using is NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower
5. I don't think the cables are restricting air flow but this is the first PC I've ever built so I could be wrong. More than willing to provide photos if you're interested in taking a look at my cable management.

I followed this Mojave guide exactly and did nothing else further besides installing kexts. As for which kexts I installed, I called up a friend who has a very similar build to me and took his advice. I used Multibeast for post installation, I mistyped in my original post and said "I used unibeast for post-installation."

EDIT:

Your config.plist is bereft of any meaningful substance. I am actually surprised it boots.
Do you happen to have any links to guides or suggestions on how to get my config.plist to safe operating use? This concerns me to be honest.

Have a read of Jaymonkey's guide for third party kext installation -
I'm a little confused here. The link you sent is a guide on how to install 3rd party kexts in /Library/Extensions but you say I should NOT have any 3rd party kexts in /Library/Extensions. Is it a safe bet to follow this guide or should I let Clover inject all of my kexts? Is there a guide to have Clover inject my kexts? How do I safely clean up /Library/Extensions so I know I'm deleting all the right kexts and not important ones?

I'm going to look into the settings, guides and changes you suggested in the next couple days and get back to you. I'd love it if you were able to look over my newer debug then. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have written that. I can sometimes get a bit twitchy and my fingers process what I am thinking without empathising with the recipient, especially when I see things I know to be wrong.

Happy to look over your revised debug folder contents.

What I might suggest is that you have a look at some of the Golden Builds, specifically a Coffee Lake system like your own.

This Z390 Designare guide by CaseySJ being one of the best - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

No need to apologize. I know full well my system is running purely on miracles. After reading through everything you suggested, I've found myself more lost to be completely honest. I feel as though I've bitten off more than I can chew with building a hackintosh. I just simply do not know where to proceed from here. Though I have back ups of my system using Time Machine, I'm afraid to make any changes as I would hate to brick my system since work and school depend so heavily on it. Currently it runs well enough from a user stand point but under the hood I know it's a mess and I would like to fix. That being said, I may lack the understanding necessary to make such changes without bricking my system. Most of these things need explained to me as if I'm five years old.

Like how would I change my kexts safely? How do I go about safely getting my config.plist in working order without bricking anything? How can I change my SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac19,1?

Idk I'm a bit overwhelmed here. I would like to get my system to work in tiptop shape but if I brick my system I wouldn't know how to recover it. The state it's in now is clearly not good but it works and I'd be devistated if trying to fix it made things worse. I apologize for being such a noob here.

This may seem ridiculous as I'm all for DIY but I would pay good money to have someone get my system running to the best of it's abilities...

What I would suggest is you not make any changes to your current system.

That you obtain a spare USB pen drive, format it as HFS+, using Disk Utility, as shown in this screenshot:

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 12.58.24.png Disk Utility - USB Erase with name 'Clover'

You need to make sure this is a spare, as any information on the drive will be erased.

Then download and install Clover_r5119 to the EFI Partition on the USB you just Erased and renamed. Copy of the Clover installer is attached. I tend to recommend this version of Clover as it works well with most versions of macOS and has not been messed around trying to incorporate OpenCore's Quirks etc, as is the case with some of the newer versions.

While you create the Clover USB and install CLOVER to the UEFI partition on the USB, I will create a CLOVER folder for you to use/trial on your system.

When installing Clover follow these steps (don't worry that the Clover version in the screenshots is different):

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.07.29.png Open Clover installer, double-click.

You may need to right-click on the installer and to select 'Open' to get it to work, as macOS can prevent some packages from activating if they are downloaded from the internet.

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.23.png Select Continue Button

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.31.png Select Continue Button

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.43.png Select Continue Button

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.04.png Select 'Change Install Location' button

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.08.56.png Select the USB pen drive named 'Clover' and then Continue

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.04.png Select the 'Customise' Button

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.18.png Select the top two entries in the list, highlighted in the Red rectangle.

No need to worry about any of the other customisations as they will be dealt with in the new CLOVER folder I will prepare.

Select Install button.

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.09.34.png Enter your password when requested.

Select Install Software button.

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.10.58.png SelectClose button when Clover installation completes.

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.14.png Now you should have two Partition icons on your desktop, both from the USB.

Be back in contact when I have the CLOVER folder for you to use.

Best of luck with the USB creation.

Attachments

• Clover_r5119.zip
    8 MB · Views: 75
Alright this is extremely helpful!!! I'll get this USB together ASAP.

Edit:
USB has been created and both Partition icons are on my desktop

Last edited:
Which version of macOS are you using?

Which language do you use on your system?

Which version of macOS are you using?

Which language do you use on your system?

I'm using Mojave 10.14.6
Language is United State English

Thought those might be the correct options.

The revised CLOVER folder is ready. But hold your horses for a few minutes.

Just a word of warning/caution and a few more tasks for you to undertake.

As you have some kexts installed to your /Library/Extensions folder they will now be part of the systems kext cache, and will be used by the Prelinked Kernel to boot the system. This is not ideal, as these kexts may clash with the kexts in the new CLOVER folder.

For that reason I have not changed the SMC kext from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC. But it is something we will need to think about. As FakeSMC is no longer actively developed while VirtualSMC is still being developed.

What would be best is if you copied and deleted all the third-party kexts, listed below, from your /Library/Extensions folder and placed them in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You will need to mount the EFI Partition on your Mojave drive, to undertake this part. You can use a Hackintool application to do this.

Download and add Hackintool App to your Applications folder if it isn't already in the folder.

This application can be obtained from this post - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v3-x-x.254559/. The latest version of the app will be linked at the bottom of the first post by Headkaze.

Open Hackintool, navigate to the Disks tab, select the up/down arrow icon against the name of your Mojave drive.
You will be asked to enter your password. This will mount the EFI partition on your Mojave drive, which should contain your /EFI/CLOVER folder.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 23.49.47.png Hackintool > Disk tab > select arrow icon to mount EFI Partition

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 23.52.50.png
EFI Partition on Desktop

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 23.52.26.pngOpening this Partition should show an EFI folder,

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 23.52.35.png Opening the EFI folder should display your CLOVER folder.

Copy these kexts from your /Library/Extensions folder to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, before deleting them.
  • Lilu.kext
  • AppleALC.kext
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
Just DELETE these three kexts from the /Library/Extensions folder, as they are not needed.
  1. FakePCIID.kext
  2. FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
  3. GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Repair System:
As part of this work you need to repair permissions and rebuild the kext cache. This has to be done before you reboot the system, otherwise your system won't boot to macOS.

The tasks I am outlining here are basically what Jaymonkey's Third-Party kext guide, that I linked above, is all about.

The easy way to do this is to use Hackintool. You would need to navigate to the Utilities Tab and select the last icon on the right, in the bottom row of icons.

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 00.00.39.png Hackintool > Utilities Tab - Rebuild Kext Cache and repair Permissions icon, highlighted in red rectangle.

Clicking this icon will result in you having to provide your password and then everything is done behind the scenes, bar a few text messages displayed in the Utilities tab window.

Let me know when you have completed these tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back