i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running 10.13.2 with a i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7GHz. In December I started having issues where the CPU would overheat and shutdown seconds after reaching the desktop after startup. I read through these forums and found some people suggesting that this had to do with the "Month 13 is Out of Bounds" error. So according to their advice, every time I would start up my computer, I'd open Activity Monitor and kill both "UserEventAgent" and "lsd" under processes. This did the trick, but they also suggested that this problem should go away after January 1st, or with the 10.13.2 update.

However, I'm still on occasion (seems to happen most often when the computer has been shutdown over night) finding that the CPU will overheat after startup. This isn't an urgent matter since rebooting seems to fix the problem, but I'm worried that my CPU might be damaged somehow from this. Any suggestions?

Just booted up this morning and the CPU overheated and restarted just as I reached the desktop. I held down the power button on my case and let it completely shut off, then restarted it. This time it booted without overheating. This seems to work every time. It only seems to overheat after being shut off for a long period of time.

What cooler do u use? what are your temps ? try replacing the thermal paste and maybe the cooler .
I'm pretty sure it s not a software issue , but worth checking the Activity monitor to see if anything is using too much cpu.

I use the the Corsair H60. My temperatures are about 27C idle, the highest it gets while working is about 60C. I haven't had an issue since updating the OS, but I did just notice that my CPU is always running at 4.7GHz. Shouldn't it lower if the computer is idle? Is there a way to change that?

Thanks!

Do you have power management implemented?

Have you checked to see if there are any processes forcing your CPU to run at full speed constantly?

Do you have power management implemented?

Have you checked to see if there are any processes forcing your CPU to run at full speed constantly?

Nothing as far as processes. The CPU load seems to be barely 1% while idle. When you say power management do you mean within Mac OS or within the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back