Contribute
Register

CPU i7-8086k at 97°C idle all of a sudden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 z370
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Guys I'm in panic.
I've been using my hackintosh for about a year, it has an i7-8086k which I have delid and treated with liquid metal, motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 z370, the CPU is cooled by a corsari H100i v2.

The system ran pretty cool, topping at 43°C, but today, all of a sudden, the system would restart at mac OS login screen and fan was turning at 100% RPM.

I've completely disabled overclocking in BIOS (the system used to run very stable at 5,1Ghz) and now it starts but idles at around 90°!!!!!

I removed the CPU from the mobo, delid it once more and reapplied liquid metal, reapplied thermal paste between IHS and cooler, but nothing changed.

I work in video production and I'm not comfortable using this hackintosh now as I suspect the CPU could fry as soon as I render something...

Does anybody have any suggestion on what to do and what might have happened? I'm completely lost!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.46.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.46.34.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.46.29.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 11.46.29.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 77
one more thing:
while the CPU package is at > 90°, the CPU heatsink is at 34°, how is that possible?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.14.42.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.14.42.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 84
Guys I'm in panic.
I've been using my hackintosh for about a year, it has an i7-8086k which I have delid and treated with liquid metal, motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 z370, the CPU is cooled by a corsari H100i v2.

The system ran pretty cool, topping at 43°C, but today, all of a sudden, the system would restart at mac OS login screen and fan was turning at 100% RPM.

I've completely disabled overclocking in BIOS (the system used to run very stable at 5,1Ghz) and now it starts but idles at around 90°!!!!!

I removed the CPU from the mobo, delid it once more and reapplied liquid metal, reapplied thermal paste between IHS and cooler, but nothing changed.

I work in video production and I'm not comfortable using this hackintosh now as I suspect the CPU could fry as soon as I render something...

Does anybody have any suggestion on what to do and what might have happened? I'm completely lost!

Check to see if your water pump died.

If you've delidded your CPU, you can easily use a good air cooler

Check to see if your water pump died.

If you've delidded your CPU, you can easily use a good air cooler

Hi Pastrychef, thanks for your suggestion, I've ordered a new cooler and will change it ASAP to see if that's the cause of the problem.
Thanks!

Hi Pastrychef, thanks for your suggestion, I've ordered a new cooler and will change it ASAP to see if that's the cause of the problem.
Thanks!

I hope it solves your problems.

One of the biggest concerns with water coolers (besides leaks) is that the water pump can fail without warning and heat will not be transferred away from the CPU and your temps will go to hell.

With air coolers, the only component that can fail are the fans. However, even if/when a fan fails, the heatsink still transfers heat and the case fans should move enough air to keep temps reasonable.

One of the biggest concerns with water coolers (besides leaks) is that the water pump can fail without warning and heat will not be transferred away from the CPU and your temps will go to hell.
Thanks a lot, I've always blindly believed water cooler were just better than air coolers but now I realised I couldn't have been more wrong.
I've ordered a Noctua NH-U12A and hopefully everything will be allright!

I'll keep you posted

Thanks a lot, I've always blindly believed water cooler were just better than air coolers but now I realised I couldn't have been more wrong.
I've ordered a Noctua NH-U12A and hopefully everything will be allright!

I'll keep you posted

To be fair, not all air coolers will perform like the Noctuas. Lol. But, yeah, it's a pretty common misconception that all water coolers are better. If you watched the videos I linked to, most of those guys were in shock and awe with a few in a bit of denial and making apologists excuses. :lol:

Yes, I saw them all and was really impressed by the results and by the guys reaction too :)
Thanks a lot for the heads up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back