Contribute
Register

CPU Header NOT Recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to revisit my earlier post. That diagram on the box-shot is crazy complicated. Who on earth thought any of that was a good idea? For a start they are obviously splitting the standard 4-pin PWM/Power connector by adding a 2-pin connector for the PWM service. The trouble I can see is how do you know which two pins are the PWM part of the 4-pin setup on your particular motherboard? Which way "up" does the connector fit?

The craziest part? Why do all that? It looks as though all those split connectors recombine to a single 4-pin connector for the controller end anyway. Why not just stick with the one?

Must be a reason, I guess...
The pin diagrams for the motherboard are in the manual. They’re all the same and seem to match the PWM compatibility guide I posted earlier.

Is there a chance that the connnected pins in the PWM connector in my original picture are just in the wrong sockets?

(Currently 1 and 4 as in the picture, each end, but should be 2 and 4 as in the PWM compatibility guide)

Attachments

• ASUS TUF Z370 Plus II Motherboard Manual.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 60
Is there a chance that the connnected pins in the PWM connector in my original picture are just in the wrong sockets?

My guess is that all 4-pin motherboard fan-headers are PWM, whether Sys-Fan or CPU. 3-pin not so. I'd avoid the latest Water-Pump headers though.

I've owned Asus and Gigabyte motherboards and there's never been any difference that warrants a different cable. However, what I don't know is which of those 4-pins supplies which service. Signal-wise PWM should be polarity conscious.

As a ‘fix’, I have plugged my pump into the CPU PWM fan header. Gone into the UEFI setting and set it to DC - Turbo. I read you should always have you pump on DC?

So that has now removed the CPU fan warning when booting the system.

I have removed the PWM header completely that is supposed to connect to the hub.

The remote allows you to control the fans manually. To their credit, they’re very quiet so that are set to full speed.

I’ve completed a 5 minute stress test and the maximum temperature recorded was 90 degrees C.

It’s a 9600K overclocked to 5GHz on all cores.

I’ll take that.

It’s a temporary fix for now.

Thanks everyone. Awesome community as always.

My guess is that all 4-pin motherboard fan-headers are PWM, whether Sys-Fan or CPU. 3-pin not so. I'd avoid the latest Water-Pump headers though.

I've owned Asus and Gigabyte motherboards and there's never been any difference that warrants a different cable. However, what I don't know is which of those 4-pins supplies which service. Signal-wise PWM should be polarity conscious.
Good for you @colinzeal!

As for the 6-pin PWM I'm thinking it was probably a non-standard cable. However lately I have noticed that some manufacturers are offering something similar to that, to cater for the various VDM connectors. I had a Thermaltake RGB control unit on my Z490 Aorus Xtreme setup, and that had its own separate Asus/Gigabyte VDM cables.

That diagram on the box-shot is crazy complicated. Who on earth thought any of that was a good idea?
That was exactly what I thought when first looked at that. Whoa ! They made this setup much too complicated for the average computer builder to understand. It also introduces a lot more cable clutter into your build when most people want it to look as neat and tidy as possible due to glass side panels. Would be great to have industry wide standards to be followed by all manufacturers. Will likely not happen.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone

Just thought you might like an update on this. (In case you’re worried) :lol:

Their response:

16347DE8-5AD4-4B27-9630-49AFE4DA15D5.jpeg

Mine:

909206EA-8372-4351-B72A-9758AA33A8A1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back