Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all

I bought the below cheap and cheerful RGB PWM fan kit:

Aerocool Duo 12 Pro

This kit is supposed to support PWM and the header should be plugged directly into the CPU fan header in the motherboard.

Done.

CPU Fan Error!

I checked the Monitor tab of my UEFI settings and the header is not recognising anything at all.

I’ve read all kinds of literature on their website and it states that Pins 2 and 4 must be 12v and Fan Control. They are.

But when looking at the PWM cable, pins 1 and 4 have the cables:

A418B529-BD9A-4D71-B9BD-057CF873D852.jpeg

That can’t be right, can it?

It’s driving me mad.

Thanks

Their video shows that the fans plug into a hub. Was that included ?

Last edited:
Hey all

I bought the below cheap and cheerful RGB PWM fan kit:

Aerocool Duo 12 Pro

This kit is supposed to support PWM and the header should be plugged directly into the CPU fan header in the motherboard.

Done.

CPU Fan Error!

I checked the Monitor tab of my UEFI settings and the header is not recognising anything at all.

I’ve read all kinds of literature on their website and it states that Pins 2 and 4 must be 12v and Fan Control. They are.

But when looking at the PWM cable, pins 1 and 4 have the cables:

View attachment 550709

That can’t be right, can it?

It’s driving me mad.

Thanks

Those fans come with a 6-pin setup, so that there is the 2-pin RGB part. As @pastrychef points out PWM is the 4-pin part. Take a closer look at what was supplied with your kit and the product photos. Basically the 2-pin part is not for the CPU header.

Fan.jpg

This video appears to be the most complete for connecting things to the hub and the mobo.

This video appears to be the most complete for connecting things to the hub and the mobo.

That’s exactly what I’ve done.

The only difference being the 5V and VDG cables not being plugged into anything.

But as you can see from my first post, the PWM motherboard connector only has pins on 1 and 4.

Is it possible that the other connectors that go to the motherboard plug in the hub must be plugged into something to act as the remainder of the pins?

I have to revisit my earlier post. That diagram on the box-shot is crazy complicated. Who on earth thought any of that was a good idea? For a start they are obviously splitting the standard 4-pin PWM/Power connector by adding a 2-pin connector for the PWM service. The trouble I can see is how do you know which two pins are the PWM part of the 4-pin setup on your particular motherboard? Which way "up" does the connector fit?

The craziest part? Why do all that? It looks as though all those split connectors recombine to a single 4-pin connector for the controller end anyway. Why not just stick with the one?

Must be a reason, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back