Contribute
Register

CPU cooler and GTX 1080 choice on mini-itx build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm buying parts for my first Hackintosh and I want to ask if everything seems good.

Here's the list of parts–
CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler |OR| be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
PSU: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Wifi: Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 NGFF Mini Card 867Mbps
Bluetooth: IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Multi-Language Version Micro Adapter (GBU521W6)

First of all, do you think if it works? As I've written in the beginning. I've never built a Hackintosh before and I have no idea how to check what seems correct.

Lastly, I'm still not 100% sure about my Wifi setting. I'm thinking about the option listed above (BCM94342Z and a dongle) but I wonder if getting BCM94360CD is better.

Basically, my goal is to make i7+ GTX 1080 on mini-itx + wifi & bluetooth Hackintosh.
I'll appreciate your ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card and it looks good too? I'm worried about the noise from the fan, though.

Hello stevedavid,
parts list looks good. You can opt to go with Kaby Lake now since it has native support on Sierra as of 10.12.6 update.

One thing about the parts though is I see that you also have a USB Dongle for Bluetooth. The WiFi card that you have chosen, BCM94352Z, is also a BT card. I've used this card before. It just needs patches and kext to work.

BCM94360CD could be better depending on you. It is a genuine Apple card and will work natively but if you notice it comes with 4 little sockets where you would need to run lines for antennas while the card you chose only has the normal 2.

Another option for Wifi/Bluetooth is the Dell DW1830 which should not require kexts and patches. Biggest issue is that the motherboard you've chosen only has two antennas and the DW1830 uses three.

Awesome. Cheers!
I bought BCM94352Z. I'll buy a dongle in case BT didn't work but it can wait.
DW1830 option is probably not for this time but that's really good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back