1. iBook
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I am looking to start my 3rd Hackintosh build for my Dad as a surprise gift and need a little advice. I'm reading up on the forums and just starting to layout my purchasing options and have a CPU's question. I'm thinking the best bang for the buck would be an i5 4690, but am unsure if there is any benefit to not getting the overlocked version? However, he is a big Photoshop user and wants to get into 3d graphics.

So, does getting the non K version have any benefits in terms of stability? Any easier to get sleep working, speed-stepping, etc? I DO NOT want this system to be a pain for anyone involved in both setup and longterm reliability... as vanilla as possible. However, if he actually get's into 3d graphics, he may need the rendering power of overlocking (and a good GPU of course)

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hello all,

I am looking to start my 3rd Hackintosh build for my Dad as a surprise gift and need a little advice. I'm reading up on the forums and just starting to layout my purchasing options and have a CPU's question. I'm thinking the best bang for the buck would be an i5 4690, but am unsure if there is any benefit to not getting the overlocked version? However, he is a big Photoshop user and wants to get into 3d graphics.

So, does getting the non K version have any benefits in terms of stability? Any easier to get sleep working, speed-stepping, etc? I DO NOT want this system to be a pain for anyone involved in both setup and longterm reliability... as vanilla as possible. However, if he actually get's into 3d graphics, he may need the rendering power of overlocking (and a good GPU of course)

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

You plan to overclock the system? If yes, get K version, if no, get non-K. If getting non-K, no sense in getting a Z series board if same specs are on H series and H is less $$.

You plan to overclock the system? If yes, get K version, if no, get non-K.

Well, that is the big question. I would like to know if a non-K system is any easier to manage, have long-term better reliability, less setup issues (like getting sleep to work, speed-stepping fully enabled, etc)?

Well, that is the big question. I would like to know if a non-K system is any easier to manage, have long-term better reliability, less setup issues (like getting sleep to work, speed-stepping fully enabled, etc)?

None of the things you're asking about have any thing to do with a K versus a non K cpu
when they are used appropriately.

If someone were to overclock a "K" system without proper cpu cooling then that would
lead to a shorter usable life of that system.

If someone were to overclock a "K" system without proper cpu cooling then that would
lead to a shorter usable life of that system.

That makes sense of course. Thanks for all the info folks! I guess I will go with the K version to have the flexibility if needed in the future since there is no difference in setup. And thanks GB for the info on the mobos, I had no idea the difference between the H and Z series.

Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back