Contribute
Register

Could you have lived without an iPhone in 2009 ? The most valuable thing Apple sells

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I think that most of us could have. There were other smart phone alternatives then that you could make calls with. You could have even just kept using that old land line. People still had them then. Was mobile internet really any good back then ?

Screen Shot 6.jpg

I always say that the most valuable thing Apple sells is their stock. It's always mostly gone up in value over the past 11 years.

So let's say you didn't pay the $199 price tag for the iPhone 3GS and all the monthly charges for ATT service. Maybe you would pay around 600 USD in a year to use one. What if instead you had bought $600 of Apple stock then and held onto it until today ? The value of it would be worth a bit more than that scratched and dented and pretty much non-functional 3gs would be now. Here's the numbers, this includes dividend reinvestment.

Screen_Shot_5.png

Pretty amazing. That measly 600 dollar stock investment would be worth close to 22 grand today. Wow.

So is it wise today to purchase $1,000 worth of Apple stock and hold onto it for 11 years ? I tend to think so. You could easily get a 5.0 inch screen LG Tracfone that runs Android for free. Pay maybe 10 dollars a month to use it. Invest all the money you would have spent on the iPhone 11 Pro in Apple stock. 38.69% annual returns may not continue but I would bet it's going to be well above at least 15%. Even with a few setbacks, they've got over 200 billion in cash that they make interest on every minute of every day. They're bigger than many banks throughout the world. Now even offer the Apple card so that you buy more Apple products for the 3% cash back offer.

Obviously I'm not a stock broker and don't intend this to be investment advice for you personally. Past results don't guarantee anything in the future. I can't predict for certain that Apple's stock will keep ascending for the next 11 years. In 2009 I did alert everyone within earshot that it was the stock buying opportunity of a lifetime. It didn't take an investment genius to figure that out. The touchscreen smartphone was the most important product to debut in the early 20th century. Will Apple be in on the next big thing post iPhone ? And take in most of the profits from it ? That remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I think that most of us could have. There were other smart phone alternatives then that you could make calls with. You could have even just kept using that old land line. People still had them then. Was mobile internet really any good back then ?

View attachment 448279

I always say that the most valuable thing Apple sells is their stock. It's always mostly gone up in value over the past 11 years.

So let's say you didn't pay the $199 price tag for the iPhone 3GS and all the monthly charges for ATT service. Maybe you would pay around 600 USD in a year to use one. What if instead you had bought $600 of Apple stock then and held onto it until today ? The value of it would be worth a bit more than that scratched and dented and pretty much non-functional 3gs would be now. Here's the numbers, this includes dividend reinvestment.

View attachment 448278

Pretty amazing. That measly 600 dollar stock investment would be worth close to 22 grand today. Wow.

So is it wise today to purchase $1,000 worth of Apple stock and hold onto it for 11 years ? I tend to think so. You could easily get a 5.0 inch screen LG Tracfone that runs Android for free. Pay maybe 10 dollars a month to use it. Invest all the money you would have spent on the iPhone 11 Pro in Apple stock. 38.69% annual returns may not continue but I would bet it's going to be well above at least 15%. Even with a few setbacks, they've got over 200 billion in cash that they make interest on every minute of every day. They're bigger than many banks throughout the world. Now even offer the Apple card so that you buy more Apple products for the 3% cash back offer.

Obviously I'm not a stock broker and don't intend this to be investment advice for you personally. Past results don't guarantee anything in the future. I can't predict for certain that Apple's stock will keep ascending for the next 11 years. In 2009 I did alert everyone within earshot that it was the stock buying opportunity of a lifetime. It didn't take an investment genius to figure that out. The touchscreen smartphone was the most important product to debut in the early 20th century. Will Apple be in on the next big thing post iPhone ? And take in most of the profits from it ? That remains to be seen.

Good article.

I think the only fly in that ointment is the fact that, here anyway, most folk buy their iPhones included in their airtime contract because they can't afford the cost up front. They don't see the real cost either...

I do always buy mine up front but I'm only on an iPhone 7 Plus currently because the latest iphones are way too expensive. o_O

the latest iphones are way too expensive.
Have to agree. They might be worth it to business people that use it to make money but for the average person, why invest that much cash into an iphone just to make custom Animojis of yourself ? Slofies ? Really ? It's like the new Mac Pro, priced way out of reach of most people who can get along fine without it.

Last edited:
Trying to think back to 2009, although I had a real Apple machine (eMac or iMac, can't recall) my cell-phone was probably an HTC. I would have liked some Apple shares ... :rolleyes:

Trying to think back to 2009, although I had a real Apple machine (eMac or iMac, can't recall) my cell-phone was probably an HTC. I would have liked some Apple shares ... :rolleyes:
can't remember what i had for tea last night, let alone what phone i had in 2009 :)

there are some very long words.... :)
Simplified version;
Researchers believe that ginkgo improves cognitive function because it promotes good blood circulation in the brain and protects the brain and other parts from neuronal damage.

Simplified version;
Researchers believe that ginkgo improves cognitive function because it promotes good blood circulation in the brain and protects the brain and other parts from neuronal damage.
cheers! :) probably too late for me :)

although I do believe in this, and acupuncture, not long had a daith piercing for migraines and seems to have sorted that out :)

wow, gone way off topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back