Contribute
Register

Could Apple build a 'think different' iMac?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte A520i AC
CPU
Ryzen 7 4700G
Graphics
Radeon Vega 8
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Like Lenovo have done with there IdeaCenter AIO's, having the hardware in the base of the stand seems a smarter design decision IMO!. Sir Jony must of agonized for hours, days... months even!, on escaping his 'Throttling design' style, form over function. But maybe he did it 'covertly', the M1 MBA is the last 'Wedge' Air we'll see, the stand on the Thunderbolt Display is also a wedge. Imagine a Nintendo Switch style dock in the base and possibly this, link below. 50th anniversary iMac maybe?.

hybrid iMac.png

port.png

Attachments

• wedge.png
    wedge.png
    3 MB · Views: 38
Someone did a render recently of what could have been an Apple Netbook if it had ever been released.

apple-netbook.jpg

That mockup reminds me of how awful time has been to the iBook. I cringe with I see photos of the Colorful plastic Macs. And the plastic macbooks weren't good either. That garbage really didn't last

Such recollections pain me with my own extreme confirmational biases as I keep realizing with shock that I cope by putting Apple's best awfulness out of my mind.

Powerbook G4 was a turning point. 2006 15in Macbook Pro off to races; very good but still failed stuff. I look at that design and I can't believe how audacious the materials were for those models, with the pressed aluminum case and the hard plastic gasket trim... All the elements were coming together. Absurd, but they pulled it off. 2008 Mac Pro and 2008 MBP were the start of something really good and products that last. They probably last too well as the cases are gorgeous and will live for 1000 years. Life is dumb.

Over long haul Apple did what no other computer co can: they made their kit very, very good.

The new chips are incredible.

Looking at this sort of news

The next step is a radically overclocked dual Ultra at same price point as current Xeons which will make anyone buying a PC for doing Mac based production feel like they missed the boat. They stand to really hand the PC its hat... We will see...

That mockup reminds me of how awful time has been to the iBook. I cringe with I see photos of the Colorful plastic Macs. And the plastic macbooks weren't good either. That garbage really didn't last

Such recollections pain me with my own extreme confirmational biases as I keep realizing with shock that I cope by putting Apple's best awfulness out of my mind.

Powerbook G4 was a turning point. 2006 15in Macbook Pro off to races; very good but still failed stuff. I look at that design and I can't believe how audacious the materials were for those models, with the pressed aluminum case and the hard plastic gasket trim... All the elements were coming together. Absurd, but they pulled it off. 2008 Mac Pro and 2008 MBP were the start of something really good and products that last. They probably last too well as the cases are gorgeous and will live for 1000 years. Life is dumb.

Over long haul Apple did what no other computer co can: they made their kit very, very good.

The new chips are incredible.

Looking at this sort of news

The next step is a radically overclocked dual Ultra at same price point as current Xeons which will make anyone buying a PC for doing Mac based production feel like they missed the boat. They stand to really hand the PC its hat... We will see...
Your not going to believe this, but I just found this in the street ready to be picked up for garbage!. Yes it feels cheap and plastic but its working.

iMac.png

Your not going to believe this, but I just found this in the street ready to be picked up for garbage!. Yes it feels cheap and plastic but its working.
Seems like you're hosting an Old Mac retirement home. If you keep finding more Old Macs that still work, maybe we'll see a full Craig's Mac museum in a few years.

1658232757612.png

Last edited:
Seems like you're hosting an Old Mac retirement home. If you keep finding more Old Macs that still work, maybe we'll see a full Craig's Mac museum in a few years.

View attachment 551412
I was staggered that it started up!, an original Blue G3 iMac. Looked like it had been in storage for a while, just needs a clean up. I do like collecting vintage Macs especially iMacs.

View attachment 551410

I never had a 1st gen iMac but I did have an eMac and seriously loved it. Great find!

:thumbup:

The success of the Bondi Blue iMac was one of the main reasons Apple was able to avoid bankruptcy and stay releveant in the latter 1990s. Steve was at least wise enough to not fire Jony Ive along with most everyone else leftover from the Gil Amelio days. Now nearly 25 years later, Apple is a company valued at over 2 trillion.

I remember how our college Mac studio transitioned from beige boxes to colorful G3 iMacs and Mac Pros, we were chanting 'ding dong the witch is dead' after that!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back