Z10PE
CPU
2x E5-1620
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi,

I'm a motion designer and I've been working with a few strong hack builds for 3D compositing. I have a client coming to my office to work with his artist on one of my machines. Main units are in an air conditioned server room, having only monitors, USB and sound going to the working office.

My question is, with a standard user account set up for him to work on, are there any ways for him to know that he is using a hack build and not a real Mac? I know he is a bit tech and might snoop around.

Assuming I've got cosmetics set up correctly for the "about this mac" window, and the "/Library" folders locked to hide kexts.
I'm using MacPro 5.1 system definition.

Thanks!

I know he is a bit tech and might snoop around.
If he were to mount the EFI partition (not sure why he would) that's where you'd see most of the hack related files. I wouldn't worry about it. You could possibly put all of your hackintosh apps and files (not on the EFI) into a password protected folder.

If he were to mount the EFI partition (not sure why he would) that's where you'd see most of the hack related files. I wouldn't worry about it. You could possibly put all of your hackintosh apps and files (not on the EFI) into a password protected folder.

Thanks for the quick response!

Beside the build itself, all the softwares are legit so nothing to hide there.
Yep, I thought of the EFI partition, but he has terminal blocked with standard user account. And I don't think he can launch an app like "EFI mounter" without admin permission. I don't know any other ways there would be to mount it.

If anyone else thinks of anything that might help, please let me know! ;)

Yep, I thought of the EFI partition, but he has terminal blocked with standard user account. And I don't think he can launch an app like "EFI mounter" without admin permission. I don't know any other ways there would be to mount it.

I think that System Information > PCI may look a bit different from a real MacPro5,1.

Also, System Information > Ethernet Cards may show a NICs that are not used on real MacPro5,1s.

Startup and shut down will show clover bootloader screen. Nothing you can really do about that though.

Nothing you can really do about that though.
Set the timeout to 0. Have it booted to the desktop before he starts using it. Probably other ways too.

Set the timeout to 0. Have it booted to the desktop before he starts using it. Probably other ways too.

Yes there is a fix for apfs for the shutdown so it doesn't show the script. But if they do a shut down and startup that is where they would see hack activity, unless addressed.
Chances are they won't bother with anything other than their work though as time is money.

Thanks for your awnsers everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back