Contribute
Register

Corsair PSU is DOA (common?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy anything refurbished! The refurb process is simply wipe it off, power it up, if it powers up mark it "refurb". It was returned to the seller for a reason so why risk it to save a few dollars.

I wouldn't even have the thought of buying a second hand PSU or a refurbished PSU. Better off purchasing a new one at least you know its going to be a good PSU even if it comes dead you can send It back and get a replacement.

I swear I have powered up with only a mobo + PSU before and gotten beeps and lights, without RAM or CPU.

Is this some sort of odd situation where the Corsair+Gigabyte absolutely must have CPU and RAM in before it will power up??

Buy or borrow a PSU tester, one that can test the ATX 20/24 pin connector and the 4, 6, and 8 pin EPS connector. They should cost anywhere between $10 to $20.

Connect it up, hit the On button on the tester and see if the voltage lights light up. If everything looks fine then you may need to add RAM to the mobo, re-connect the PSU to the mobo, plug in the AC cord into the PSU and push the PC case power on button. If still no power then you will probably need to test the case power on button/switch or try shorting out the two pins on the front panel header on the mobo that turn on power. The pins should be detailed in the motherboard. You only need to short it out for about 1 second as the power on button is a momentary button. (Yeah, I've had to repair a few case switches in my time... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back