Contribute
Register

Corsair Hydro H100i v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is a CPU Cooler.

You should be fine with that cooler, I've seen it mentioned in a few builds - there were some sleep issues with the V1, however I've not seen anything mentioned for the V2.

:thumbup:

Hello,
Will the Corsair Hydro H100i v2 work as a CPU cooler?

I just recently installed an H100i v2 in my hackintosh. Here is what I did:
  • Hardware: The fans that are attached to my radiator are not connected to the H100i, but directly to a PWM controlled fan header on my motherboard, via a Y-Splitter cable. I am using a program called "Macs Fan Control" (http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control) to spin up the fans when my CPU temperature hits 50 Celsius. Presumably you can also just leave the fan control to your BIOS as well if you think that's good enough...
  • The fan cable connected to the H100i CPU block needs to be plugged into a fan header on your motherboard. Also, in your BIOS make sure that this fan header is set to run at "full speed" all the time, to ensure the pump gets the 12 Volts it needs to operate properly.
  • Sleep Problems: I have plugged the USB cable for the H100i into one of the USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard. This allows you to run Corsair Link in a Windows VM and do geeky things such as control the pump speed or check the coolant temperature. However, this will prevent your hackintosh from sleeping properly (so looks like this problem exists for v1 as well as for v2): It will wake up from sleep maybe a second after the system has fully gone to sleep.
You should be fine just NOT connecting that USB cable. When your fans are connected to a fan header on the motherboard, IMHO you don't lose much functionality. However, I figured out a way to avoid the sleep problem while still being able to use Corsair Link inside a Windows VM. -- It was a good exercise for me to learn how to work a DSDT.aml (pretty useful skill for hackintoshing), so here you go if you want to give it a shot:
  • With the H100i USB cable plugged in, put your system to sleep. It will enter sleep, but wake up again after a second or two.
  • After the system wakes up, run the following command in a terminal:
    syslog| grep "Wake reason" | tail -1
    This should give you something like
    Wake reason: EHCx <and maybe other things>
  • In the line above the 'x' stands for a number. What you get will depend on which USB header the H100i is plugged into on your motherboard. In my case this was "EHC2".
  • Next, if you don't already have a DSDT.aml file for your motherboard, create one:
  • The easiest way to do this is to press F4 when at the Clover boot screen. There will be no indication that anything has happened, but once you are booted up, you will find a DSDT.aml file on your EFI partition under EFI/APCI/origin.
  • Clean up that DSDT.aml file. This is the trickiest part. I used a tool called MaciASL (https://sourceforge.net/projects/maciasl/). Open your DSDT.aml using that tool, hit "Compile" and fix all the errors it shows you. In my case it was pretty obvious what went wrong (Such as lines that only contained the word "Zero" that could just be removed).
  • Once you have cleaned up your DSDT.aml you want to save it and copy the cleaned up version to EFT/ACPI/patched on your EFI partition.
  • Now that you have a DSDT.aml, entirely remove the "EHC2" section (Or whatever EHCx you got as a Wake reason) from your DSDT.aml.
  • Also, you need to remove other lines that reference that EHC section you have removed. You can just hit "Compile" in MaciASL. The lines/sections that still reference that removed section should give you errors and you can clean them up.
  • Once you are done and don't get any more errors when hitting Compile, save your DSDT.aml under EFI/ACPI/patched on your EFI partition and you are good to go. Reboot the system to pick up the change and your hackintosh should now sleep properly.
Note:
Before settling on this solution, I first tried to just remove the _PRW function from the EHC2 section in my DSDT.aml, but that did not solve the sleep issue for me...

Note 2:
There was some discussion on the Corsair forums a while ago, about the H100i actually showing up as a USB UHCI device, with someone having reverse-engineered the communication protocol that Corsair Link uses, and some command line tools available to control Pump speed and what not under OS X and Linux. -- However, recent firmware "upgrades" for the H100i seem to have changed this, since mine is no longer showing up as a UHCI device on the USB bus...

Are you saying that the pump stops working when coming out of C State 6 and 7 (Deep Sleep)?

Are you saying that the pump stops working when coming out of C State 6 and 7 (Deep Sleep)?

The pump works fine. You can use Corsair Link to set up the pump speed and the cooler basically remembers the settings. No need for Corsair Link to keep running all the time. I presume what keeps waking up the computer is the cooler sending some kind of updates on coolant temperature, fan and pump RPMs.

The simplest way to set up the Corsair on your hackintosh would be
  • Ignore the USB connection. Just leave it disconnected
  • Connect the fans directly to a fan header on the motherboard, so that fan speed can be controlled for these fans just as for any other fan. You might need a Y splitter for that, since as a 240mm radiator it comes with 2x120mm fans.
In that case the pump should always run at its default setting, which is full speed.

However, if you want the ability to occasionally check in on the pump and run Corsair Link inside a VM, while still being able to sleep OS X, see my previous posting.

My non-overclocked 4790k idles around 28 Celsius and compile jobs make it go up to maybe the low to mid fifties with the pump set to its lower setting.

Thank you @norgfach for sharing!

I have tried several Mac fan control programs that do a great job of monitoring the temperatures but haven't done anything to increase/decrease the fan speeds either in their manual modes or when cpu temps increase. So, I tried several VM apps starting with Virtual Box running Windows 10. Then Parallels as Windows performance in Virtual Box seemed slow as well as killing Blue Tooth in Mac OS.

I downloaded and installed Corsair Link in both VM apps and got limited results in both. In Virtual Box Corsair Link parsed both the pump and fans and I was able to create a custom fan curve that wasn't too noisy and told me the pump was running at maximum. But, Link only showed the Diode temp but not the individual cores. But that was good enough to work for the fan curve.

I was hoping for better performance within the VM and downloaded a trial version of Parallels. Performance was better and didn't turn off Blue Tooth. Corsair Link looked better and displayed all four cores. More information was nice, but in Parallels, I couldn't adjust fan curves. For me, that was the sole purpose for being able to run Windows on my Hackintosh. I suppose there will be that rare occasion in the future where it will be handy so I will probably keep the Virtual Box app on the hard drive and buy a key for Windows after the trial expires.

For reference, I have had Prime95 running for over an hour and am averaging 55C - 58C (133 - 135F) at an ambient of about 79F. When I quit Prime95 the CPU load drops from 51% down to around 5% and the temps quickly fall to 34C - mid 90F ranges. Blissfully, the fans throttle down to an almost inaudible whisper.

• Hardware: The fans that are attached to my radiator are not connected to the H100i, but directly to a PWM controlled fan header on my motherboard, via a Y-Splitter cable. I am using a program called "Macs Fan Control" (http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control) to spin up the fans when my CPU temperature hits 50 Celsius. Presumably you can also just leave the fan control to your BIOS as well if you think that's good enough...
  • The fan cable connected to the H100i CPU block needs to be plugged into a fan header on your motherboard. Also, in your BIOS make sure that this fan header is set to run at "full speed" all the time, to ensure the pump gets the 12 Volts it needs to operate properly.
  • Sleep Problems: I have plugged the USB cable for the H100i into one of the USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard. This allows you to run Corsair Link in a Windows VM and do geeky things such as control the pump speed or check the coolant temperature. However, this will prevent your hackintosh from sleeping properly (so looks like this problem exists for v1 as well as for v2): It will wake up from sleep maybe a second after the system has fully gone to sleep.
You should be fine just NOT connecting that USB cable. When your fans are connected to a fan header on the motherboard, IMHO you don't lose much functionality. However, I figured out a way to avoid the sleep problem while still being able to use Corsair Link inside a Windows VM. -- It was a good exercise for me to learn how to work a DSDT.aml (pretty useful skill for hackintoshing), so here you go if you want to give it a shot:
  • With the H100i USB cable plugged in, put your system to sleep. It will enter sleep, but wake up again after a second or two.
  • In the line above the 'x' stands for a number. What you get will depend on which USB header the H100i is plugged into on your motherboard. In my case this was "EHC2".
  • Next, if you don't already have a DSDT.aml file for your motherboard, create one:
  • The easiest way to do this is to press F4 when at the Clover boot screen. There will be no indication that anything has happened, but once you are booted up, you will find a DSDT.aml file on your EFI partition under EFI/APCI/origin.
  • Clean up that DSDT.aml file. This is the trickiest part. I used a tool called MaciASL (https://sourceforge.net/projects/maciasl/). Open your DSDT.aml using that tool, hit "Compile" and fix all the errors it shows you. In my case it was pretty obvious what went wrong (Such as lines that only contained the word "Zero" that could just be removed).
  • Once you have cleaned up your DSDT.aml you want to save it and copy the cleaned up version to EFT/ACPI/patched on your EFI partition.
  • Now that you have a DSDT.aml, entirely remove the "EHC2" section (Or whatever EHCx you got as a Wake reason) from your DSDT.aml.
  • Also, you need to remove other lines that reference that EHC section you have removed. You can just hit "Compile" in MaciASL. The lines/sections that still reference that removed section should give you errors and you can clean them up.
  • Once you are done and don't get any more errors when hitting Compile, save your DSDT.aml under EFI/ACPI/patched on your EFI partition and you are good to go. Reboot the system to pick up the change and your hackintosh should now sleep properly.
Note:
Before settling on this solution, I first tried to just remove the _PRW function from the EHC2 section in my DSDT.aml, but that did not solve the sleep issue for me...

Note 2:
There was some discussion on the Corsair forums a while ago, about the H100i actually showing up as a USB UHCI device, with someone having reverse-engineered the communication protocol that Corsair Link uses, and some command line tools available to control Pump speed and what not under OS X and Linux. -- However, recent firmware "upgrades" for the H100i seem to have changed this, since mine is no longer showing up as a UHCI device on the USB bus...

Sup! This tutorial really fix my sleep problem with H100i?
I'm doing a custom Mojave, and, at this point, I only have 2 problems in my build - the H100i sleep issue and a wrong device ID for my Radeon. I really want to fix both. lol.

Note:

Note 2:

Hey! Just wanted to get some clarification before I try go down this path. Is your method disabling the USB header the Corsair pump plugs into or is it simply blocking the protocol/communication between the pump and the OS? Since your post was from quite some time ago, Clover now has the functionality to shut down usb headers directly in the system, for me it would be this ...
My SSDT has all the 2.0 headers working. I disabled the USB2.0 controller for the onboard Wifi/Bluetooth. I also turned off 2.0 on the 3.0 ports except the front two, effectively making them 3.0/3.1 only.

If you want to disable your motherboard 2.0 header add
"uia_exclude=HS11"
to your boot arguments. That will disable the two USB 2.0 headers on the bottom of the motherboard.
Edit: When I say disable, that means OSX will ignore the ports. They will still be powered.
Also, make sure you guys are on the latest BIOS (or at least F8). One of the biggest culprits to getting our system to sleep properly is not having "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi" in the drivers64UEFI folder.

... However when doing this above solution, it shuts down both headers that reside there (go figure) which is a no go since my wifi card is plugged into the other.

Note:

Note 2:

When running your terminal command (syslog| grep "Wake reason" | tail -1)
I get: Most system logs have moved to a new logging system. See log(1) for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back