Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Clevo N850HK(OpenCore)
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 / GTX 1050 Ti
Haven't been on this forum in a long time but in 2016-17 I built a hackintosh running El Capitan.

It was running fine since then but a week ago, I stopped being able to log into my profile. It just hangs after putting in my password for about 45 mins and then prints an error saying cant log into profile. For the record, I have the OS on an SSD and the user profile on a different 2TB HDD (seemed like a good idea at the time).

I removed the HDD and was able to pull about 90% of my files from it using a trial version of macdrive on windows, the other 10% wouldnt copy for some reason. I then used opencore to create a high sierra hack, just to have a partially working OSX installation to try repair the HDD as creating another El Capitan installation seems to be plagued with problems nowadays.

Anyway, on high sierra, the HDD is recognized but the partition will not mount (with the HDD connected via USB or internally with SATA). I have tried this with disk utility and commands through terminal to no avail, it doesnt even give errors, it just wont mount.

Does anyone have any advice or advanced commands that could get the partition to mount? I am hoping to get the remaining 10% of files as they seem to exist but could not be copied to an NTFS volume. I also have a lot of virtualbox instances saved that I would like to recover from the HDD if I can log back in to my profile. The fact that the drive would mount on windows and the files were all there makes me think the profile could be salvageable somehow. I am thinking that since the el captain hack was done in legacy as opposed to UEFI that may be preventing it from mounting in the new UEFI high sierra hack?

The fact that the drive would mount on windows and the files were all there makes me think the profile could be salvageable somehow.
Might be worth trying to access the partition in question from a Linux system (such as Ubuntu) if possible and see if you can copy off the remaining files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back