Contribute
Register

Corrupted MacOS disks, "Secure Boot Violation". Requesting help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
RX 580
PREFACE QUERY: Is this the best place in the forums for me to post this?

Build:
i7 5820K
Radeon RX580 8GB GPU
Memory: 32GB
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge tb3 - thunderbolt card
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
UEFI BIOS 2.16.1242

2 x bootable SSD:

Mojave 10.14.6
SMBIOS Imacpro 1.1

Sierra 10.12.6
SMBIOS Imacpro 1.1

Thunderbolt devices: PreSonus Quantum 2, Promise Pegasus R4 Hard Drive Bay. Note that thanks to @joevt I successfully got the PreSonus audio interface recognised by both OS.

Background: I commissioned a person to build this machine for me and install Mojave and Sierra.

Sierra I require for now because I am not yet able to afford to upgrade Pro Tools to a version which supports newer OS. I will most likely be using Mojave most of the time for non-music/scoring purposes, because the Sierra install has left me with a very gritty, clunky feeling mouse and responsiveness when using that OS. It's nice and smooth under Mojave.

Problem: After successfully editing and installing my Quantum audio interface kext to ensure the device works with this machine, I set out to create a bootable clone of each OS disk so I have a safety net - using Acronis True Image based on @trs96 advice. Through this process, outlined below, corruptions under both OS disks have been identified. A comprehensive disk utility / integrity check wasn't run before it was sent to me and I am now left with the likelihood of having to totally reinstall everything from scratch. I already had to send the machine back to the builder (who is interstate from me) once to address hardware issues, and now this has emerged – before I have even migrated over to this machine - hence I am wary of sending it back.

The first warning sign of problems was that Textedit was inexplicably missing from Mojave and I had to manually import that app from my Sierra iMac to edit my Quantum kext.

01.jpg

Image 1 (above). The way the Windows component was set up, I had to guess which option to choose and took a couple of attempts to successfully boot into Windows. “Windows 10 on volume 10” and “Windows 10”. Unsure if this is normal practice or not.

02.jpg

Image 2. This is what I got when I selected the ‘wrong’ Windows option. I don’t remember which it was, actually, but this is what happened. A need for repair alert, “Error code: 0xc000000e”. All I could do was ignore this and try again, booting from the *other* “Windows 10” option.

03.jpg

Image 3. I managed to enter Windows 10 and create a bootable Acronis USB. I then successfully created the True Image bootable USB and started the process of creating clones of both MacOS drives. Image 3 shows the next warning sign. See that little red “x”.

Image 4. “Some partitions contain errors…”

04.jpg

Image 5-10. This is the sequence of attempted repairs via Disk Utility and the info I received in response. Note the unnamed disk, ie the very last disk in the list, disk1s4 beneath Sierra1026, is the Windows disk. I'll be naming that sucker later... details! I am a fan of them.

05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg10.jpg

Note that "operation successful" means nothing here. Subsequent checks bring up exactly the same corruptions every time.

Now – deep breath for me. The builder then suggested… that I follow these steps to repair the corruptions:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/disk-utility/dskutl1040/18.0/mac/10.14

There is no recovery partition evident under either OS. Surely you can’t fix things like this when you have MacOS installed on a PC?

11.jpg

Image 11. Finally, when I tried to boot up again to investigate further, the machine inexplicably did not boot into clover. It went straight to this red screen of death. Subsequent restarts led me to the UEFI BIOS. On entering setup and reloading the correct profile, the machine freezes. Every time – and when it doesn’t go straight into the BIOS, it’s giving me that red screen of death.

12.jpg

Image 12. Freezes here every time, now.

Note that I have not yet done more than restart using the white button, I have not gone into safe boot / reset at this stage. I figured - isn't this sufficient evidence by now that this is not a stable install in any respect.... and in any case, those corruptions need addressing.

Obviously I have to now embark on quite a learning curve, but given the $1000 I’ve spend on peripherals on top of what I paid for this machine to be built, I can’t afford to just sell it off for parts – and it is still my hope that it has potential as a solid, stable 4k FCPX editing machine.

I am hoping that in this thread I can be advised of what I need to do to cleanly, safely reinstall everything I need without compromising my CPU (ie I don’t want to mess with how it is clocked etc), TB connectivity (which works just fine), wifi etc.

Please help…. feel free to hit me with questions and advice which may be face-palm in nature. I am NEW to this and obviously have no choice but to be willing and ready to learn!

Ben

PS I tried to create a tag for "secure boot violation", but this site wouldn't let me because it's "new". Surely "secure boot violation" isn't being experienced by me exclusively?

AGAIN: Is this the best place in the forums for me to post this?

Last edited:
Secure Boot violation is when the UEFI detects a modified operation system. Its really only used with windows. . In order to get it to boot, find the secure boot section in the UEFI and change Windows 8/10 to "Other OS".

Ive tried to set up Hackintosh's for people, but the unfortunate truth is that unless you never update the OS, you will run into trouble. The best thing that I think you can do is start from scratch with your current hardware. This way you know exactly how the system works since it sounds like you mostly know what you are doing anyway.

Secure Boot violation is when the UEFI detects a modified operation system. Its really only used with windows. . In order to get it to boot, find the secure boot section in the UEFI and change Windows 8/10 to "Other OS".

Ive tried to set up Hackintosh's for people, but the unfortunate truth is that unless you never update the OS, you will run into trouble. The best thing that I think you can do is start from scratch with your current hardware. This way you know exactly how the system works since it sounds like you mostly know what you are doing anyway.

Thanks.
To clarify, I *am* starting from scratch. I have never used this machine before, it has been custom built for me.
The corruptions described existed before I even started using the machine. I have not migrated to it yet.

I have no intention of upgrading beyond Mojave. I have been merrily using Sierra on my iMac for years now and I have no plans to even update that. I am happy with everything there except for how slow it is for 4K editing. This whole proposed migration is simply because a significantly faster Mac will cost ridiculous $ but I need to be able to edit with reasonable workflow in 4K.

I am guessing that the UEFI change you suggested will only potentially address the "secure boot violation" issue - any advice on addressing the corrupted MacOS installations?

Thanks.
To clarify, I *am* starting from scratch. I have never used this machine before, it has been custom built for me.
The corruptions described existed before I even started using the machine. I have not migrated to it yet.

I have no intention of upgrading beyond Mojave. I have been merrily using Sierra on my iMac for years now and I have no plans to even update that. I am happy with everything there except for how slow it is for 4K editing. This whole proposed migration is simply because a significantly faster Mac will cost ridiculous $ but I need to be able to edit with reasonable workflow in 4K.

I am guessing that the UEFI change you suggested will only potentially address the "secure boot violation" issue - any advice on addressing the corrupted MacOS installations?

Generally it can be very useful to install windows as a 'trial' so you can verify the computer is working property and to tune any of the performance parameters and validate using Windows software since macOS doesn't have the kind of tools Windows does for that sort of thing. There is a place to bypass entering a serial key under the box you type the windows serial that will allow you to continue without one, the pro version works indefinitely that way, plant of time to get it right.

Then when you are happy and know the hardware is solid you can then format over Windows and install macOS and know that any issues are with macOS and not the underlying hardware. You can get corruption from memory, either bad, overclocked, or misconfigured. For instance putting both sticks of a two stick kit in the same memory channel. Many motherboards by default overclock the processor, running hwinfo or cpuZ will tell you this very quickly but neither work in macOS. I am aware theirs is hardware monitor for macOS but it's 'alpha' at best for hackintoshes. Hardware is built and sold to run Windows and that is the best way to validate the system for macOS.

In Windows you can run monitoring software, watch all the voltages, the clocks, and verify it is working properly. Run benchmarks to verify you are getting reasonable speeds for your hardware. you can even more easily update any firmware. Then install OS X knowing what you have are not hardware problems. Sucks to reinstall an OS repeatedly assuming the new hardware is good just to find out a stick of ram has errors or that the clear piece of plastic was left on the bottom of the fancy CPU cooler, two sticks of ram in the same ram channel, graphics card in the lower x16 slot that only has 4 lanes through the chipset. I don't want to come off as I am questioning your ability or knowledge, but even pros can miss the basics, sometimes more likely because we can over think it.

And yes, I keep bringing up ram because that is usually the culprit for corrupt operating system installs, crashes and hangs that happen shortly after booting for no other apparent reason.

Thanks.

turn off the computer, pull the power cord or turn off Power supply switch, then hold the start button for 10 seconds. unplug all the drive Sata cables except one macOs drive with clover on it. turn power back on and push start button and hold down the Delete key to go to bios menu. Go to the boot menu and find the windows8 option and select it and change to Other OS. Then go to boot priority and elect the UEFI option example UEFI Samsung 860 EVO. Try to boot.

Ok, I tried this first:

OS Type.jpg

OS Type Change Confirm.JPG

The result:

The change is not saved even when I select "save and reset". When I next boot up, I get the same Secure Boot Violation red screen. So I have to try again, hit delete and run through the process a second time. Clover then comes up at last - but in a strange aspect ratio:

IMG-6749.jpg

Why does this aspect ratio thing happen and what does it mean?

Next, this is what happens when I try to boot into Sierra:

Sierra.jpg

Nothing happens for 10, 20, 30, 100 seconds... it's frozen.

This is what happens when I try to boot into Mojave:

Mojave.jpg

Again, frozen.

I tried this next:
turn off the computer, pull the power cord or turn off Power supply switch, then hold the start button for 10 seconds. unplug all the drive Sata cables except one macOs drive with clover on it. turn power back on and push start button and hold down the Delete key to go to bios menu. Go to the boot menu and find the windows8 option and select it and change to Other OS. Then go to boot priority and elect the UEFI option example UEFI Samsung 860 EVO. Try to boot.

Absolutely nothing changed except, of course, that Clover only showed boot options specific to the connected drive.
I tried this with only my Sierra / Windows drive connected, and also with my Mojave only drive. Exactly the same results as above, every time.

"Boot Priority" -

There's actually no "boot priority" option that I could see, @Gigamaxx
This is what I selected (via "boot override")

Boot Override.jpg

This made absolutely no difference.

Now I can get to Clover, but its aspect ratio is incorrect all of a sudden and neither Mojave or Sierra will boot up.
I am still getting a "Secure Boot Violation" even when the Windows drive is totally disconnected and I have selected "Other OS" under the boot menu as per advice.

I think I've made it... worse.

Attachments

• Clover - note aspect ratio.JPG
    Clover - note aspect ratio.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • Seure Boot Violation.JPG
    Seure Boot Violation.JPG
    654 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Generally it can be very useful to install windows as a 'trial' ....

Thanks @Shiitaki
Before I process and act on your advice here, I think I need to at least work out what the heck I have done to my machine which is preventing it from even booting into either MacOS in the first instance.

It seems that by following the instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lone-of-your-macos-system-drive.254705/page-5
(post #46)

... by doing that, which required me to boot into Windows and then boot via the Acronis USB, I have upset the whole system. Which in itself is a worry, because surely just booting into Windows to run True Image should not totally F everything up?

Both of those above boot attempts show common config.plist issues.

for the Sierra/windows drive boot arg. slide=0 will probably get you further along. Since you have both windows and Sierra on the same drive you will most likely need to configure the EFI for that.

Mojave drive looks like a memory drive issue. Use the search tool for End Randomseed it’s a common issue.

Both of those above boot attempts show common config.plist issues.

for the Sierra/windows drive boot arg. slide=0 will probably get you further along. Since you have both windows and Sierra on the same drive you will most likely need to configure the EFI for that.

Mojave drive looks like a memory drive issue. Use the search tool for End Randomseed it’s a common issue.

@Gigamaxx thanks
What do I do with:
"slide=0 will probably get you further along"
I am literally brand new at this and the only thing I have ever edited on a Hackintosh is my PreSonus Quantum kext.
Do you mean I use terminal, and type a command: sudo slide=0
ie I have no idea what to do with that suggestion.

"Since you have both windows and Sierra on the same drive you will most likely need to configure the EFI for that"
Right, so.... how do I do this? and... wasn't it already configured if in the first instance I was able to boot into Clover no probs, and then boot into Mojave, Sierra or Windows? It is only since booting into Windows that things have gone wrong - taking aside the corruption issues which I have described in my OP.

What does the change in aspect ratio in Clover mean?

"Mojave drive looks like a memory drive issue. Use the search tool for End Randomseed it’s a common issue"
Do you mean spotlight search for a file called "End Randomseed"? Or where and how do I search for it - and what is it?
A file? A command I need to find.... where?

As explained in my OP, I am NEW to this. A builder did everything.

Apologies for my likely incredibly basic, possibly dumb questions... I am unfortunately forced into starting from scratch here from a knowledge perspective. I need everything explained to me step by step, hence hoping that through the community here I can learn how to do these fixes - I need a bit more context for your advice.

Thanks...

@Gigamaxx thanks
What do I do with:

I am literally brand new at this and the only thing I have ever edited on a Hackintosh is my PreSonus Quantum kext.
Do you mean I use terminal, and type a command: sudo slide=0
ie I have no idea what to do with that suggestion.

"Since you have both windows and Sierra on the same drive you will most likely need to configure the EFI for that"
Right, so.... how do I do this? and... wasn't it already configured if in the first instance I was able to boot into Clover no probs, and then boot into Mojave, Sierra or Windows? It is only since booting into Windows that things have gone wrong - taking aside the corruption issues which I have described in my OP.

What does the change in aspect ratio in Clover mean?

Do you mean spotlight search for a file called "End Randomseed"? Or where and how do I search for it - and what is it?
A file? A command I need to find.... where?

As explained in my OP, I am NEW to this. A builder did everything.

Apologies for my likely incredibly basic, possibly dumb questions... I am unfortunately forced into starting from scratch here from a knowledge perspective. I need everything explained to me step by step, hence hoping that through the community here I can learn how to do these fixes - I need a bit more context for your advice.

Thanks...

Try the Sierra drive and use the space bar at the clover screen. Scroll down and select slide=o and verbose options then try booting again.

The search tab on this forum will direct you to posts with the End Randomseed issue. below is one suck link.
"End randomseed" reboot | tonymacx86.com

Basically, each SSD with MacOS on it has 2 main sections (partitions) the large main section has the operating system, apps and user files on it. The other is a small section (partition) called the EFI which contains the clover boot loader. When booted into the desktop the EFI is hidden and must be mounted to access it. Watch the videos below to see how using clover configurator can mount and then edit the EFI folder. The Drivers64UEFI, Kexts folder and the config.plist are the key components to getting your system to boot.

Attachments

• Clover UEFI selection..mov.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • Clover Configurator mount EFI.mov.zip
    58.4 MB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back